Osteoarthritis of the knee joint (gonarthrosis) is a disease associated with the wear of cartilage, bone deformation. A person experiences pain of varying intensity (depending on the degree of the disease). The disease leads to impaired motor function, complete immobility, disability.
Knee diseases are more susceptible to women, there is no clear sexual predisposition to the disease, many factors can provoke the occurrence of arthrosis. People aged experience gonarthrosis more often than young people.
If the knee joint diseases are not treated in time, the joint-forming bones and deformation will be exposed. In this case, you can not do without surgical treatment. It is important to contact orthopedists, other doctors at the first manifestations of the disease. They will not completely get rid of arthrosis, they can slow down the destruction of the knee joint, and stop degeneration. Early diagnosis of the disease, proper treatment help to avoid the terrible consequences, early disability.
Gonarthrosis begins with the fact that the supply of necessary nutrients is disrupted in the damaged area of the knee joint. It leads to a change in the texture of cartilage tissue, loss of elasticity, and a violation of the motor functions of the joint.
Common causes of the disease:
- Flat feet
- Vein disease
- Diabetes, other diseases associated with metabolic disorders. It is difficult to cure gonarthrosis with such a disease, not all drugs, physiotherapy can be used,
- Obesity, overweight. In overweight people, arthrosis happens more often than in patients with normal weight,
- Changes in adolescence. During this period, metabolic disorders occur, which causes degeneration of the joints,
- Pregnancy. During this period, women increase weight, the load on the knees. Hormonal disorders occur that contribute to arthrosis,
You can cure the disease only by contacting the doctors. Independent actions rarely end in success. Only a professional will choose the appropriate comprehensive treatment of gonarthrosis, which includes medication, physiotherapy, treatment in sanatoriums.
The effectiveness of therapy depending on the degree of the disease
The clinical picture, the history of the disease depends on its neglect - the degree of arthrosis. It is customary to distinguish three degrees of complexity of gonarthrosis:
- The 1st degree should be described as the initial stage of the disease, the symptoms are mild. There is a rare tingling in the knee, periodic occurrence of pain of mild intensity, crunches. If you treat the disease at this stage, you can achieve good results,
- 2nd degree is characterized by severe symptoms. Fatigue, tension in the legs, pain during movements, physical exertion of any strength, crunching during squats, walking on the steps. You may notice bone deformation. The probability of curing gonarthrosis at this stage of the disease is lower than at the initial one. The usual treatment in a sanatorium, taking medications may not be enough,
- 3rd degree (4th degree is conditionally distinguished) is characterized by severe knee pain when at rest (even at night), movements are limited, frequent crunching, fluid accumulates (synovitis), frequent “twisting” sensations, severe knee deformation, edema . Ozone therapy, darsonval, sanatoriums cannot cure the disease, are prescribed as restorative measures after surgery on the knee.
Gonarthrosis becomes chronic, requiring constant monitoring by specialists, is treated on an outpatient basis, in sanatoriums.
What is arthrosis of the knee
The knee joint is one of the most mobile joints of the human skeleton, prone to injuries and other mechanical damage. It connects the tibia and femur, as well as the largest sesamoid, located in the tendons of the quadriceps femoris (patella or patella). The surfaces of the joint are covered with cartilage tissue - a dense, elastic substance that surrounds chondrocytes (oval-shaped cells formed from chondroblasts) and creates a protective membrane around them, and also acts as a shock absorber.
The composition of the cartilage tissue contains collagen - a fibrillar protein, which is the main element of the connective fibers and provides the strength and elasticity of the cartilage - and glucosamine. Glucosamine is a substance that produces cartilage. Glucosamine is a component of chondroitin and is part of the synovial fluid - a yellowish elastic mass that fills the joint cavity and serves as a lubricant. If the synthesis of glucosamine and proteoglycans is disturbed, the amount of synovial fluid decreases, which leads to exposure of parts of the joint and the emergence of intense pain, therefore, the treatment of arthrosis of the knee joint of the 1st degree always involves the use of drugs with glucosamine and chondroitin.
- What happens in the joints with arthrosis:
- the cartilage becomes soft and friable, and deep ulcerations appear on its surface,
- the synovial membrane is compacted,
- the composition of the synovial fluid changes, its secretion decreases,
- there is a sprain of the ligaments and capsules of the joint,
- the joint cavity is filled with exudate - an inflammatory fluid released from the blood vessels during acute inflammation.
In the absence of timely and adequate treatment, arthrosis leads to complete deformation and destruction of the knee joint, while the patient may reveal both unnatural mobility and complete immobility of the joint. To stop the destruction of the articular and cartilaginous surfaces with diagnosed arthrosis of the knee, the doctor can suggest endoprosthetics - a surgical operation to replace a damaged joint with an artificial prosthesis that is suitable in size.
The cost of primary knee replacement depends on the region and can range from 20,000 to 115,000 rubles.
If there is evidence, the operation can be done according to the quota within the framework of the mandatory medical insurance program.
Symptoms of the disease
The difficulty in diagnosing arthrosis is that the first signs of the disease proceed unnoticed. When pain begins to bother the patient, the disease, as a rule, is already in a state of neglect and is extremely difficult to treat. Therefore, you should consult a doctor if you discover the first signs of this disease. The main ones are:
- difficulty straightening the leg,
- the occurrence of aching pain during the squat,
- difficulty getting out of bed and climbing stairs,
- the crunch in the joints that occurs when they rub against each other,
- pain at the slightest exertion or after sleep.
In some cases, the disease can be prevented. At risk for this disease are people:
- who have had severe infections
- suffering from parasitic diseases,
- fans of restrictive diets,
- knee injuries
- leading a sedentary lifestyle,
- subject to frequent stress
- having diseases of a hormonal or autoimmune nature, having diseases of cartilage or bone tissue,
- professional athletes and outdoor enthusiasts who provide their knee joints with increased loads.
People after 50 years of age should think about joint health.Cartilage tissue is characterized by a gradual loss of elasticity, and therefore, with age, the risk of developing arthrosis increases significantly.
How to quickly relieve pain and swelling without going to the doctor?
If it is not possible to immediately consult a doctor, you can take some emergency measures at home.
To relieve pain, you can take 1-2 tablets of Ketoprofen or Diclofenac.
- A good analgesic property has a tincture of golden mustache. Those who suffer from arthrosis of the knee joint are advised to insist on fresh parts of the stem and leaves of this plant on vodka (13-15 pcs. Per 0.5 liter of alcohol, insist 2 weeks) and always keep the remedy on hand. For pain in the knee, rub the product with massaging movements.
- A tincture of dandelion leaf vodka has a similar analgesic effect.
- Severe pain and swelling will help eliminate the compress with ice (you can attach any item refrigerated in the refrigerator).
- A simple and affordable ambulance is a decoction of onions. It is believed that the beneficial properties of this vegetable help relieve pain and swelling. Peel 2 large onions and cook together with husks in 1 liter of water. Take 0.5 cups before meals until the desired effect is achieved and for preventive purposes.
- To eliminate pain and swelling, a compress from a fresh cabbage leaf will quickly help. It needs to be slightly kneaded so that the juice comes out and put on a sore spot until the condition is relieved. Cover with a warm cloth.
- A warming and analgesic effect has a simple ointment from mustard and honey, taken in equal amounts, and 1 chicken egg. With severe pain, it is applied to the knee and covered with a clean cloth and cling film. Hold for 20-25 minutes, avoiding severe redness. Wash off with water and apply an ordinary ointment, for example, Diclofenac.
Causes of arthrosis of the knee
Despite the widespread prevalence of arthrosis, there is still confusion with the name of this disease. Officially, it is called "deforming osteoarthrosis" (from the ancient Greek words "osteon" - bone and "arthron" - joint), for short - DOA. But even from the lips of doctors, you can hear the word "arthritis" - there is no significant error here, although more often this term is used in relation to rheumatoid arthritis: a different disease having a different origin and symptoms than osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis of the knee joint is also called gonarthrosis (from the ancient Greek "drive" - the knee).
This is an extremely common pathology that is more common in older women who are overweight. However, sometimes deforming osteoarthritis is also observed in young fit men: a sports injury caused by excessive loads in the gym becomes the impetus for the development of the disease.
In addition, gonarthrosis occurs for the following reasons:
- fractures of the legs and dislocations of the knee joints,
- meniscus injuries
- inflammatory joint diseases (rheumatism, gout, ankylosing spondylitis, etc.),
- metabolic disease,
- congenital weakness of the ligamentous apparatus (joint hypermobility),
- hereditary predisposition to arthrosis of the knee joint.
Gonarthrosis can develop in any of us - experts note that this is a consequence (paradoxically) of an increase in the average life expectancy of the population: our joints fail before we feel like elderly people and refuse to be active.
Prevention, treatment methods
Answering the question whether arthrosis of the knee joint can be cured, an affirmative answer cannot be given. Modern medicine cannot cure the disease forever. It is possible to stop the slow destruction of cartilage and bones by getting rid of symptoms using certain methods (blockade, ozone therapy, darsonval, massage).
Treat gonarthrosis using conservative methods.At an early stage of the disease, it is sometimes possible to partially restore the tissue of the cartilage layer. Over time, remission of gonarthrosis occurs, degenerative processes progress with renewed vigor.
In specialized sanatoriums of Russia, arthrosis is treated comprehensively with the help of:
- Hyaluronic acid. Injection is injected into the affected area, where it forms a shock-absorbing interosseous layer, reduces friction between them. For a while, using the procedure, there is a blockage of degenerative processes in the knee,
- Means containing chondroprotectors. Due to these drugs, partial renewal of cartilage tissue is carried out. Gonarthrosis is treated with chondroprotective drugs at home, on an outpatient basis. This is facilitated by the form of release, which is not limited to injections. Drugs can be external, internal use. Starting to treat gonarthrosis with these drugs, you should be prepared that the result is achieved after administration for a period of more than 6 months,
- NSAIDs painkillers. The group of drugs allows you to reduce swelling, the intensity of pain with gonarthrosis,
Medical blockade, the use of chondroprotectors can give a good result, the effectiveness should be supported by physiotherapeutic treatment. He is prescribed to treat the disease when an acute period has passed. More often in sanatoriums, specialized clinics, the following procedures are prescribed:
- Ozone therapy
- Laser therapy,
- Ozokerite therapy
- Exercise therapy
- Darsonval (application of high-frequency pulsed current),
- Acupuncture, other reflexology methods.
Therapy in sanatoriums gives the best effect, but not all, can not always afford it. Sanatoriums specializing in arthrosis are available in small numbers, so often the blockade, the use of anti-inflammatory drugs are the only solution to the problem. The blockade has an effect for a long time (up to 6 months). With the 3rd degree of gonarthrosis, surgery is indispensable.
Treatment with folk remedies
Alternative treatment of arthrosis of the knee involves the use of compresses, ointments, wraps, baths, etc. The correct diet should also be observed, excluding alcohol, smoked foods and fried foods from your diet. Salty foods should also be limited. The diet of a patient with arthrosis should include fresh fruits and vegetables, which should be consumed daily.
Classification and etiological factors
Arthrosis of the knee joint can be primary and secondary. Primary arthrosis is diagnosed in cases where it is not possible to accurately determine the cause of the pathology. If cartilage deformities were preceded by other diseases and pathologies, knee injuries, arthrosis is considered secondary, that is, developing against the background of a primary disease.
- The main causes of secondary arthrosis of the knee joints include:
- various dysplasias and other pathologies in which there is an incorrect development and formation of tissues,
- neurodystrophic diseases of the lumbar or cervical spine,
- knee inflammation (arthritis),
- injuries and microtraumas of the joint,
- surgical removal of a damaged meniscus or part thereof (meniscectomy),
- diseases of the endocrine system and hormonal disorders in which the rate of metabolic reactions slows down, the metabolism in the bone tissue is disturbed.
Primary arthrosis of the knee joint often develops in individuals leading a sedentary lifestyle, or, conversely, regularly experiencing increased physical exertion on the knee joint. Overweight patients, people over 50 years old, residents of ecologically unfavorable areas, patients with various types of addiction to toxic substances (smokers, drug addicts, alcoholics) are also at increased risk for the development of gonarthrosis.
Regular hypothermia can contribute to inflammation and further deformation of the knee joint, therefore, people with a tendency to diseases of the musculoskeletal system are advised to observe the temperature regime and abandon activities associated with prolonged exposure to low temperatures (working outdoors, in refrigerators and freezers, etc.). d.).
Women older than 45 years old who are interested in how to treat knee arthrosis should be aware that a decreased synthesis of estrogens, which can occur after menopause and with some gynecological diseases: endometrial hyperplasia, uterine fibroids, fibroadenoma, endometriosis, can be a provoking factor in the development of pathology. A negative factor is also a variety of diets that limit the intake of foods rich in minerals, vitamins and other elements necessary for healthy joints.
Symptoms of arthrosis of the knee
Arthrosis never occurs suddenly. The first symptom that occurs long before the height of the disease is minor pain in the knee when walking, aggravated by ascents and descents of the stairs. Unpleasant sensations, as a rule, appear at the beginning of the movement, disappear after a short walk, and after a long load on the joint - come back again.
Over time, if arthrosis is not treated, the symptoms worsen - the pain becomes continuous, movements in the knee joint are more and more limited, and the knee increases in size. Doctors advise against delaying a visit to the hospital when the first unpleasant sensations appear. This will do without a long and expensive treatment: with the development of the disease, getting rid of it becomes more difficult.
Both cold and hot compresses are used.
This is one of the main methods of treating knee arthrosis at home, which is used everywhere. Compresses are divided into two types:
- Cold They suggest the use of ice and can quickly eliminate the swelling of the knee. The use of ice packs is allowed only in the early stages of the disease. The recipe for cooking is extremely simple: you need to attach ice packs to the sore spot, wrapping it tightly on top with a woolen cloth. Hold until ice melts.
- Hot. Such compresses are allowed to be done only in the complete absence of puffiness. Otherwise, hematomas may appear. The procedure is carried out similarly to the method described above, but packages with hot water are used. Such compresses perfectly relieve pain and contribute to the warming of joints before exercise.
No less common compresses based on medicinal herbs and essential oils:
- Turpentine compress. They allow you to relieve swelling and pain. It is only necessary to lubricate the affected joint with turpentine, and then apply a tight bandage to it and give the body a horizontal position. It is best to perform similar procedures at bedtime every other day. Treatment of arthrosis of the knee joint with folk remedies can be continued until the pain stops or the swelling disappears.
- Horseradish compress. It is necessary to grate the horseradish root on a fine grater. Next, you need 200 grams of the resulting mass, pour 500 ml of water, boil and strain. After this, a mass should be applied to the sore joint, bandaged with a warm cloth on top. Compress is put on all night.
- Comfrey grass wrap. This herb is sold in any pharmacy. To prepare a compress, you will have to grind comfrey leaves first. Next, take 2 tablespoons of grass and 200 grams of melted lard. After mixing thoroughly, the product should be kept in a water bath for 10 minutes. After cooling, the knees are lubricated with the composition, after which a tight bandage is applied. The tool is applied at night.
- Honey compresses.Many alternative methods of treating knee arthrosis involve the use of honey. It is known for its many healing properties. In the early stages of the disease, honey perfectly relieves swelling and pain, having a good warming effect. It is only necessary to lubricate their knees before going to bed, wrapping them with a cotton cloth.
- Compress of burdock. Fresh leaves must be crushed before the juice appears, after which their surface is moistened with alcohol and applied to the sore knee. The compress is bandaged on top and covered with a woolen scarf. You can also use a mixture of alcohol and honey. Apply overnight for a month. Soreness should be significantly reduced.
- Ginger compress with onion. It is necessary to take 2 tablespoons of ginger root grated on a fine grater and mix with the juice of a small onion. The resulting product is applied to the sore knee for 4 hours and wrapped in a warm cloth. You can put such compresses all night.
Warming ointment is sold in any pharmacy. As a rule, such compositions are made on a natural basis and can achieve high treatment efficiency, but they are inexpensive. But if you wish, you can make such an ointment yourself.
The easiest way is to take 20 g of petroleum jelly, adding 8-10 drops of essential oil to it. It should be understood that various essential oils have different effects. For the treatment of arthrosis of the knee joint by alternative methods, the following options are best suited:
- Lavender Oil It relieves inflammation.
- Peppermint Oil Helps with edema, gently affecting the affected tissue.
- Rosemary oil. It has a powerful warming effect.
The warming camphor ointment is widely known among the people. This tool allows you to get rid of severe pain in the joints, returning the patient to work. To prepare it you need:
- Knock raw eggs into a fluffy mass in a blender.
- Add 50 grams of camphor alcohol, 100 grams of pure alcohol and 50 grams of mustard powder.
- To stir thoroughly.
The ointment must be rubbed into a sore spot at night, covering with a tight bandage on top. The course of treatment depends on the condition of the patient - should be used until recovery.
Signs and Symptoms
To make the prognosis of future life as favorable as possible, it is important not only to know how to treat knee arthrosis, but also what symptoms the disease manifests itself. This is necessary for a timely visit to a specialist and early detection of possible deformations and other injuries of the knee joint. At the initial stage, the pathology has rather scanty symptoms, therefore it is possible to detect arthrosis of the 1st degree knee only after conducting hardware and instrumental diagnostics.
- The first symptoms of the disease include:
- morning stiffness in the knee
- pain when walking when passing a distance exceeding 1-1.5 km,
- knee pain with prolonged (more than 2 hours in a row) sitting,
- pain in the knee after prolonged standing,
- knee pain that occurs at the end of the day or in the first half of a night's sleep.
If the patient at this stage does not receive the necessary treatment, the disease will progress. In order to choose the right medicine for arthrosis of the knee joint, it is necessary to undergo a series of diagnostic examinations (MRI, computed tomography, radiography, etc.) and determine the degree of deformation, the level of synovial fluid in the joint cavity, the density of the cartilage tissue and the synovial membrane. Symptoms of arthrosis of the knees 2 and 3 degrees are shown in the table below.
|Diagnostic sign||Osteoarthritis of the knee 2 degrees||Osteoarthritis of the knee 3 degrees|
|Pain during a night's rest||May appear when changing body position or getting out of bed.||Arises without any movement.|
|Possibility to use public transport (except for low-floor buses)||The patient experiences pain when climbing stairs, but with certain restrictions, he can use public transport without assistance.||The patient cannot enter the bus or tram on his own due to the limited mobility of the knee joint.|
|Lameness||Expressed slightly.||Lameness is very pronounced, additional support (canes) is required for movement.|
|Stiffness in the knee after waking up||Lasts less than 10-15 minutes.||It lasts about 20-30 minutes and longer.|
|Pain when walking||Occur after passing 800-1000 m.||They begin at the beginning of the movement and intensify after passing a distance of less than 500 m.|
|Self-service ability||Usually saved.||The patient cannot perform a number of actions without assistance.|
For the treatment of arthrosis, it is recommended to take glucocorticosteroids - Hydrocortisone, Betamethasone, Triamcinolone. Assign them to a specialist.
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs - Diclofenac, Ibuprofen, Ketoprofen possess good analgesic properties. Dosage forms such as tablets and ointments can be used.
To protect the cartilage of the knee joint, chondroprotectors - Teraflex, Structum are used. Take them in long courses.
It is advisable to take vitamin complexes, for example, Calcium D3 Nycomed, Complivit.
Degrees of gonarthrosis
Three degrees of knee arthrosis are distinguished:
- 1 degree of gonarthrosis - This is the interval from the first symptoms of the disease to the appearance of bone deformities, which are noticeable during examination or on x-rays. In this case, the knee can change its shape in the first months of arthrosis, but due to the accumulation of fluid in the joint (this phenomenon is called synovitis). Grade 1 gonarthrosis is mainly characterized by pain of varying intensity that occurs when moving.
- 2 degree of arthrosis the knee joint is accompanied by unpleasant sensations at the slightest exertion, a crunch in the knee when walking and squats and a decrease in joint mobility. On the x-ray visible growths of bone tissue along the edges of the joint and narrowing of the joint space. Externally, the knee with a 2 degree gonarthrosis also looks deformed and enlarged.
- At 3 degrees of gonarthrosis there is almost no cartilaginous tissue inside the joint, and in severe osteoarthritis, the bones grow together, which leads to complete immobility of the sore leg. It is difficult for a person with such a disease to take a position in which the pain subsides - sleep is disturbed, and without a crutch or stick it becomes impossible to move.
Only a doctor can determine the degree of arthrosis of the knee joint after studying an X-ray: cases are known where mild symptoms characteristic of the first degree are accompanied by far-reaching destruction of the articular cartilage.
Osteoarthritis of the knee: causes, symptoms, consequences
Osteoarthritis of the knee, or gonarthrosis, is a degenerative-dystrophic pathology that progresses without medical intervention. The disease develops due to excessive loads on the joint, low motor activity, obesity, previous injuries. It can be triggered by gout, diabetes, thyrotoxicosis, rheumatoid arthritis, including juvenile.
The leading symptoms of arthrosis are pain, aggravated by walking, limitation of mobility, morning swelling of the knee. Over time, as a result of fusion of the joint space, severe consequences of pathology occur. This is a valgus or varus deformity, complete or partial immobilization (ankylosis).
These techniques were used to treat joints even by our ancestors. A properly prepared bath helps to relax muscles, relieve swelling and pain.
The most popular recipes are:
- Turpentine baths.Add 30 ml of turpentine to the bath. The water temperature should be 37-38 degrees. The procedure is taken within half an hour. After this, the patient should wrap himself in a warm bathrobe and go to bed.
- Pine baths. A kilogram of pine branches is taken, which are boiled in a pan with water for an hour. After this, the broth should be filtered and poured into the bath. The procedure should be taken within half an hour. After this, you must go to bed without wiping. You can only gently pat your body with a soft towel. If necessary, pine can be replaced with any coniferous species.
- Bischofite baths. The main component in this case is bischofite salt. It consists of silicon, calcium and includes many trace elements useful for human joints. It is very simple to prepare a bath: 300 grams of salt is taken and dissolved in water at a temperature of 38 degrees. Procedures should be taken at bedtime every other day for a month.
Treatment of arthrosis of the knee at home
- Treatment of arthrosis of the knee joint can be carried out using:
- drug methods
- physiotherapy exercises
The use of traditional medicine recipes is possible only after consultation with your doctor and should not replace the main treatment prescribed by a specialist.
The choice of drugs and methods for treatment depends not only on the age of the patient and his chronic diseases, but also on the stage of arthrosis and the degree of deformation of the cartilage and articular surface.
Features of nutrition and lifestyle
After diagnosis, patients are advised to avoid increased stress on the knee. For this, orthopedic appliances are used - elastic bandages with plastic or metal inserts, semi-rigid orthoses. They reliably fix the joint, prevent the displacement of its cartilage and bone structures with awkward, intense movement. Knee pads are worn for several hours during the day and must be removed before bedtime.
Overweight patients with arthrosis need to lose weight. For this, nutritionists advise limiting the calorie content of the daily menu to 2000-2500 kcal. You should eat more sour-milk products, cereals, fresh vegetables and fruits instead of fatty, fried foods.
The onset of gonarthrosis
There are several reasons for the occurrence of knee arthrosis, some of them depend on age, others on hereditary factors or excessive physical exertion.
The disease is often provoked by injuries that deform the joint, its destruction can begin after insufficient treatment of bruises and sprains. Constant increased physical activity inherent in some professions and occupations in professional sports can also contribute to the onset of the disease.
One of the risk factors is overweight, especially in combination with diabetes.
Age-related changes in the metabolism of the body of the elderly also lead to gonarthrosis. A decrease in the supply of nutrients to the tissues of the joint causes its gradual wear.
Infusions, decoctions and tinctures
Infusions, decoctions and tinctures are taken internally or used for rubbing
One of the most famous infusions for the treatment of arthrosis is iodine. It is easy to prepare and very effective. The tool is prepared as follows: in equal proportions, iodine, ammonia, medical bile honey and glycerin are mixed. The product is poured into the bottle and tightly closed with a lid. After insisting in a dark place for a month, it is necessary to lubricate the knee with this composition before bedtime, applying a tight bandage on top.
In addition to topical agents, there are folk remedies for arthrosis of the knee joints for oral administration. They are no less effective and are usually used in combination with rubbing, compresses and bathtubs. The following recipes have the highest treatment results for arthrosis:
- Dandelion tincture. During flowering, it is necessary to collect 100 grams of dandelion flowers, which are filled with 200 grams of alcohol. Next, you need to insist this remedy in a dark place for three weeks. Take a teaspoon three times a day. You can also use a tool to lubricate the knees.
- Infusion of herpagophytum. This plant is popularly called the "devil's claw." The tool based on it is used mainly inside, but it has proven itself well as compresses. To prepare the infusion, take 2 tablespoons of grass and pour a liter of boiling water. Insist should be in a thermos for 5 hours. After that, the product is filtered and taken in 4 tablespoons throughout the day.
Osteoarthritis 1 degree
This is the easiest form of arthrosis, which can be cured in most cases with a minor medical correction and additional measures: massage, exercise therapy, physiotherapeutic treatment. The most effective method of treating knee arthrosis, regardless of its stage, is laser therapy. This is the main method of physiotherapy, which gives fairly high results at the initial stage of arthrosis.
- It helps to achieve the following effect:
- the degree of inflammation in the joint cavity is reduced,
- pain intensity decreases
- the process of tissue regeneration is stimulated,
- the need for glucocorticosteroids and other drugs with serious side effects disappears.
As an alternative to laser therapy, the doctor can offer pulse magnetotherapy, acupuncture, electromyostimulation and electrophoresis.
All these methods are quite effective in the treatment of arthrosis. with a degree of deformation of not more than 20-25%, but the effectiveness of treatment will be higher if you combine them with physical therapy and massage.
Orthopedists and surgeons note the positive effect of the use of water exercises aimed at developing the muscle strength of the legs.
Patients with knee arthrosis of the 1-2 degree can be offered a spa treatment (during stable remission), including mud therapy, heating in the sauna, and therapeutic baths. Overweight patients are assigned a special diet, as obesity is one of the main factors in the development of knee arthrosis.
Drug treatment (drugs for the treatment of arthrosis of the knee joint)
Medications are important in the treatment of gonarthrosis, especially in situations where it is urgent to relieve symptoms of acute pain and reduce inflammation. For this purpose, doctors prescribe non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs): diclofenac, indomethacin, nimesulide and others. Steroids are prescribed to combat the severe inflammatory process, and chondroprotectors and vasodilator drugs are prescribed to improve the condition of cartilage. All these drugs are prescribed both in tablet form and in the form of creams, ointments, injection solutions (for any severity of arthrosis of the knee joint).
The plasmolifting method deserves special mention - the injection of platelet-rich blood plasma of a patient into an arthrosis-affected knee joint. This technique is successfully used in sports medicine, where special attention is paid to the rapid recovery of the musculoskeletal system.
Osteoarthritis of the knee has not yet been completely cured. Therapy is aimed at the complete elimination of symptoms, preventing the spread of pathology to healthy areas of cartilage and bones. The use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) in tablets - Ketorol, Ibuprofen, Nise, Diclofenac helps to stop the pain that occurs from time to time. Patients are also prescribed muscle relaxants, chondroprotectors, B vitamins, drugs to improve blood circulation.
There are many techniques of self-massage, however, for the proper development of them they need direct consultation of a specialist. The fact is that to damage an already affected joint is much easier than it seems. It is enough to make excessive pressure or to carry out the wrong grinding.
The easiest and safest way to self-massage are procedures with olive oil. To do this, a few drops of oil are applied to the sore knee. With smooth and soft movements, it is necessary to rub it into the skin, making slight pressure.
This massage allows you to strengthen the structure of the joints, relieving swelling and pain. It is a very good addition to the main treatment for arthrosis of the knee joint, therefore it is advisable to conduct it regularly.
Osteoarthritis 2 degrees
Treatment of arthrosis of the knee joint of the 2nd degree includes physiotherapy and massage (outside the acute period), special nutrition, physiotherapy exercises and taking medications. It is very important to reduce the load on the damaged joint: limit walking, avoid movements requiring bending of the knee. With rapidly progressing arthrosis, the use of special orthoses is indicated - orthopedic devices designed to fix a diseased joint and limit its mobility.
- A medication regimen may include the following drugs:
- chondroprotectors with glucosamine and chondroitin (Teraflex, Don, Chondroxide),
- non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (Nimesulide, Ketorolac, Ibuprofen),
- intraarticular injections of hyaluronic acid (Hyastat, Hyalgan Phidia, Sinocrom),
- injections of glucocorticosteroid hormones (prednisone, hydrocortisone).
A diet for patients with arthrosis of the knee should contain a sufficient amount of collagen-rich foods.
- products with gelling additives (jelly, jelly, jelly, aspic),
- pectin-added foods
- fish fat.
Almost all fruits and berries contain the necessary amino acids and minerals to maintain joint health and mobility, but the intake of these products should be limited in patients with diabetes.
Surgical interventions of varying degrees of invasiveness are designed not only to alleviate the symptoms of the disease, but also to eliminate its causes.
- Puncture. To get rid of excess fluid in the joint cavity, surgeons resort to puncture - such a minimally invasive intervention reduces inflammation and restores knee mobility.
- Arthroscopy If arthrosis requires a surgical operation (usually with a 2 degree of severity), it can be performed endoscopically - this technique does not require dissection of the joint cavity, and all manipulations are performed with thin flexible instruments under the control of a micro-video camera. Arthroscopy involves cleaning articular surfaces from fragments of destroyed cartilage tissue.
- Periarticular osteotomy - more traumatic intervention. During the operation, one of the bones that form the knee joint is sawn and then fixed again, but from a different angle. This approach allows you to redistribute the load on the knee, which reduces pain and increases knee mobility. Periarticular osteotomy is usually used for degrees 1 and 2 of osteoarthrosis of the knee joint.
- Endoprosthetics involves replacing the knee with a biocompatible design that provides the same range of motion. This complex surgical intervention requires long-term rehabilitation, therefore, as a rule, patients with the 3rd degree of gonarthrosis are solved on it.
For pain and puffiness, compresses that can be applied daily have a good effect. The lotion with Dimexide, Diclofenac and Novocain has warming and analgesic properties. It is applied in a warm form for 25-30 minutes.
Often they use burdock and honey for a compress. A swollen knee is smeared with a thin layer of honey mixed with salt, covered with a leaf of a plant and wrapped overnight.
To relieve pain, cold treatment is applied - ice is applied to the knee, wrapped in several layers of gauze. Hold such a compress until the condition is relieved.
In the treatment of arthrosis, homeopathic remedies are used with phytoextracts of arnica, calendula, witch hazel, yarrow, aconite and other medicinal plants, Hahnemann’s soluble mercury, sulfuric liver. These are ointments, gels, tablets, solutions for parenteral administration Traumeel C, Purpose T. Homeopathic remedies contain active ingredients in extremely low concentrations. The purpose of their application is to “accustom” the body not to react acutely to the emerging symptoms of gonarthrosis.
Three degrees of disease development
The course of gonarthrosis is divided into three degrees. At 1 degree, pain while walking is not yet felt, but severe fatigue quickly sets in, mobility is limited and a crunch appears. After long periods of rest - sleep, prolonged sitting - or after long physical exertion, “starting pains” arise in the joints. At this stage of the disease, the knee bones are not yet deformed, only the joint gap is narrowed.
Grade 2 disease leads to very severe pain, which makes it almost impossible to walk long distances, you have to give rest to the affected joint a lot and often. During walking, the joint crunches, a distinct lameness appears, the knee is deformed.
The examination shows a further narrowing of the joint space, the appearance of spikes (osteophytes) on the bone. If the inner lining of the joint becomes inflamed (synovitis), fluid appears inside the knee.
At 3 degrees, the pain becomes constant, it bothers both when walking and at rest. The leg almost completely loses mobility, often there is a complete disappearance of the joint space. The knee bones are deformed more and more.
Therapeutic exercises for arthrosis
Gymnastics can also be done to prevent arthrosis.
It is possible to treat arthrosis of the knee joint at home with special exercises that help increase blood flow in the knee. As you know, joint diseases are often accompanied by circulatory disorders, and therefore such procedures will be very helpful.
Here are some of the simplest exercises to do daily:
- "Bike". This well-known exercise is a great way to develop joints after sleep. Lying on your back, you should spin imaginary pedals for 15 minutes. Thus, it is possible to prepare joints for the load, avoiding pain and discomfort.
- The next exercise is also performed while lying down. It consists in alternately pulling the legs to the chest. At the same time, they should bend at the knees. Perform the exercise should be 20 sets for each leg.
- Now you should sit on a chair. Having straightened your legs, you need to stretch your fingers as far forward as possible. In this case, unpleasant sensations and soreness should not occur.
- Squats This exercise should be performed every day. You can start with 5-10 times, gradually increasing the rate to 30-40 times. You should not overwork and train through strength - a similar approach to training can only do harm.
- Walking for 20 minutes before bedtime is an excellent exercise for the joints.
At the first symptoms of arthrosis, you must consult a doctor. Self-medication in this case is not the best option, since modern medicine is not able to cope with the advanced stages of this ailment. Therefore, you should not experiment with your health - for the competent treatment of arthrosis, a comprehensive diagnosis is necessary.
Non-surgical treatments for deforming osteoarthrosis
But nevertheless, any operation is a serious test for the body, so people suffering from knee arthrosis prefer conservative treatment. Practice shows that physiotherapeutic and kinesiological methods, as well as lifestyle changes, lead to tangible improvements, while minimizing the use of pharmaceuticals.
Rubbing and bathing
To relieve pain and swelling of the knee will help rubbing the interior fat. It is drowned over a slow fire, at this time a decoction of a maternity baguette, birch buds, lilac flowers, a medicinal donut, root maria taken in equal amounts is prepared. The broth is mixed with fat and rub the knees.
At night, the joints are rubbed with a mixture of camphor, vodka, turpentine and vegetable oil.
Herbal baths have a good effect. For cooking, they often use hay dust, pine and spruce needles, and onion husks. The duration of the procedure is 15-20 minutes with a frequency of 2-3 times a week.
Diagnose a problem
The first stage of the disease is often ignored by the patient. Symptoms are perceived as the result of overwork. The increased discomfort in the second stage also does not always force you to consult a doctor.
And only the third stage, which makes a person’s life unbearable, forces the sick to seek medical help.
The doctor at the initial examination fixes the deformities of the limbs, their reduced mobility. Palpation of affected joints causes pain.
After establishing the initial diagnosis, its final result is determined by:
- using an x-ray probe,
- clinical blood test (the third degree of arthrosis is diagnosed only in this way),
- puncture of fluid in the knee.
Osteoarthritis drug treatment
Among patients, it is widely believed that taking drugs with anesthetic effect (inside in the form of tablets or injection - intramuscularly) is the most important method for relieving pain in arthrosis. In fact, the use of drugs is a technique for the rapid relief of pain, which should be prescribed only in the acute period. The fact is that drugs widely prescribed for these purposes have serious side effects that increase with prolonged and especially with uncontrolled intake. We are talking about undesirable effects from the digestive, cardiovascular, nervous systems, which are likely to lead the patient to a hospital bed (stomach bleeding, heart rhythm disturbances, effects on the liver and kidneys, etc.).
- Shock Wave Therapy (UHT) It has been used in Russian clinics for 20 years. During the procedure, the doctor acts on the affected area with an apparatus that generates radial acoustic waves (2000-4000 impulses per procedure). The therapeutic effect is achieved by activating blood supply in the joint area and stimulating the processes of restoration of bone and cartilage tissue.
- Miostimulation implies an impact on the muscles surrounding the joint with weak current pulses, due to which mobility in the affected leg increases, pain subsides, and endurance to physical stress increases.
- Phonophoresis - A combination of ultrasound therapy and the effects of drugs, which is very effective in gonarthrosis. It is known that normally only 5–7% of the drug is absorbed through the skin in the form of an ointment, gel or cream. With phonophoresis, high-frequency vibrations warm up the tissues of the knee joint and improve the absorption of the drug, which makes it possible to save on expensive medications, while obtaining a good result.
- Ozone Therapy The effect of active oxygen on the tissue has an anti-inflammatory and analgesic effect, whereby with arthrosis of the knee joint, you can refuse to take hormonal drugs or reduce their dosage.
It is believed that arthrosis is incurable. But this is not true, it is quite possible to cure him. Medicine does not stand still, new methods of therapy are constantly appearing. This also applies to knee arthrosis. But miracles should not be expected, the healing process is still long and should be systemic. In the first place is timely diagnosis, because 1-2 stages of the disease are best and most often completely cured. Treatment is carried out by methods:
- drug therapy
- physiotherapy, using low-frequency and high-frequency currents, magnets and a laser in it,
- medical gymnastics
- healing ointments
- auxiliary means (bandages and knee pads),
- folk methods
- surgical intervention.
Some clarifications to the above list:
- physiotherapy courses and drug treatment are used necessarily under the supervision of a doctor,
- surgery is prescribed only when destructive processes in the joint can lead to disability,
- other methods can be used by the patient independently for a long time.
Nettle and lemon infusion
This infusion should be taken orally 20-30 minutes before a meal. A single dose is 50-80 ml.
- To prepare the infusion, you must:
- Mix 100 g of dried or fresh nettle leaves with three peeled heads of garlic,
- pass the mixture through a meat grinder,
- add 4 tablespoons of lemon juice,
- mix everything, add 250 ml of boiling water and cover,
- insist for 4 hours.
The duration of treatment with this method is at least 60 days. In the first week, the infusion should be taken 1 time per day, in the next 7-10 days - 2 times a day. Starting from the third week of treatment, the number of doses should be increased up to 3 times a day.
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
Applicable drug groups:
NSAIDs - non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, many of them are dispensed without a prescription and are widely accepted by patients on their own. This group includes drugs of various chemical structures, the most famous of them - diclofenac, indomethacin, naproxen (classic NSAIDs), more modern ones - meloxicam, nimesulide, ketorolac. These funds have a pronounced anti-inflammatory and analgesic effect, can reduce pain in the joint and adjacent muscle tissue, but do not affect the development of the disease. They are used only to reduce symptoms at all stages of the disease. Effective with concomitant synovitis (fluid accumulation in the joint).
GKS - glucocorticosteroid drugs (hydrocortisone, triamcinolone, betamethasone) have a strong anti-inflammatory and analgesic effect. Appropriate and effective periarticular introduction. However, patients are often negative about the use of these drugs in treatment, which is associated with possible side effects: these are infectious complications, worsening of the ligaments, articular surface, and cartilage degeneration. But with periarticular management, the risk of these complications is minimal.
Chondroprotectors - glucosamine and chondroitin, are natural components of cartilage, which, when taken orally, contribute to the gradual restoration of cartilage, normalize its density and elasticity. These active ingredients are usually used in combination, are part of various drugs and auxiliary agents. Chondroprotectors do not have a quick analgesic effect, improvement develops with prolonged use of drugs based on them, which is associated with partial restoration of cartilage tissue. Recommended at all stages of the disease.
- Physiotherapy exercises (LFK), according to doctors, allows a responsible and hardworking patient with gonarthrosis to "escape" from the operation.Daily training using a special technique smoothly strengthens the muscles of the legs, which in some cases reverses the pathological process, returning the patient to previous mobility. The key success factor is a competent sequence of exercises, which will be prompted by an experienced instructor in exercise therapy.
- Massage (including lymphatic drainage) and manual therapy - methods of passive action on the muscles, joints and ligaments of the patient. They are suitable for sedentary patients and go well with exercise therapy, physiotherapy and drug treatments for deforming osteoarthrosis.
- Mechanotherapy involves the use of special devices that enhance the effect of exercise therapy and massage - vibration simulators, weighting materials and mechanical massagers.
- Joint extension - a mechanical increase in the space of their cavity, due to which the pain goes away and the destruction of the joint slows down. The course application of this technique allows delaying the progression of arthrosis of the knee joint for several years.
Ointments and baths
To eliminate pain, swelling and stiffness of the knee joint, external agents are used - ointments, gels, balms, creams.
For this purpose, baths are also used, which are usually taken one hour before bedtime. Infusions of chamomile, pine needles, hypericum and elecampane, a few drops of essential oils of juniper, thuja, pine, eucalyptus, rosemary, thyme are added to warm water. To prepare a salt bath, 200 g of coarse-grained sea salt is diluted in 2 l of water and added to a warm bath. The duration of the healing procedure is 20 minutes.
|Ointments used to treat knee arthrosis||Names of medicines||Therapeutic effect|
|NSAIDs||Voltaren, Arthrosilen, Fastum, Nise, Ketorol, Finalgel, Ibuprofen, Dolgit, Diclofenac||Analgesic, anti-inflammatory, decongestant|
|With a warming and locally irritating effect||Finalgon, Capsicam, Efkamon, Viprosal, Apizartron, Ben-Gay||Improving blood supply to tissues with nutrients, analgesic|
|Chondroprotectors||Teraflex, Chondroxide, Chondroitin-Akos||Partially restoring cartilage, analgesic, anti-inflammatory|
Medication is one of the main methods of healing knee arthrosis. Groups of drugs used for this:
- hormonal drugs and chondroprotectors,
- vitamin complexes.
Among the listed groups of medicines, the most potent are chondroprotectors and hormonal drugs. The former directly affect the cause of arthrosis, restore the normal production of synovial fluid and damaged cartilage. Most actively, their healing properties appear at the onset of the disease.
A very quick therapeutic effect occurs with the use of hormonal drugs that well eliminate pain symptoms, inflammation and edema, but have many side effects. Therefore, they are prescribed only during periods of exacerbation, applying 1 time in 10 days.
Treatment with chondroprotectors and hormonal drugs is possible only on an outpatient basis or in a hospital; it is not recommended for home treatment.
Therapy with other medicines is carried out both in a hospital (usually in severe neglected cases under the constant supervision of a doctor) and at home. In this case, the patient should independently control the healing process, but regularly undergo medical examinations for consultations.
Self-medication without preliminary diagnosis, especially in advanced cases of degrees 2 and 3, is unacceptable and can complicate the course of the disease up to disability.
Honey ointment for joints
This ointment helps relieve inflammation and reduce pain.The first result is noticeable after a week of daily use, but to achieve a stable result, it must be used within 30-45 days.
- To prepare the ointment, you must:
- melt 2 tablespoons of butter,
- mix oil with two tablespoons of honey and one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar 6%,
- put the mixture in the refrigerator for solidification.
Apply this ointment to your knees 2-3 times a day (the last time - before bedtime).
One of the most modern methods of restorative medicine, which is used in sports injuries and money-dystrophic joint diseases, is PRP therapy (PRP - platelet-rich plasma) or plasmobiorevitalization, autoplasma therapy. The technique is actively used abroad, in Russia it is used in some clinics.
The essence of the procedure consists in the introduction of platelet-rich plasma directly into the site of injury, in this case, into the joint. The drug for administration is obtained from the patient’s own blood, therefore the method is considered not only highly effective, but also safe for humans. Growth factors and other biologically active substances (serotonin, bradykinin, prostaglandins, etc.), contained in plasma enriched with platelets, contribute to the activation of the processes of regeneration and synthesis of their own basic substances.
The resulting plasma, enriched with platelets, is injected both periarticularly and directly into the affected joint, due to which a partial restoration of tissues is achieved - first of all, cartilage.
The most applicable technique is at stages 1-2 of osteoarthrosis. It shows good results and allows you to delay the rapid development of the disease due to the release of platelet factors of growth. The method is relatively new, but has proven to be highly effective. PRP-therapy was first applied in surgery, today the technique has been successfully used in many fields of medicine, including rheumatology and orthopedics, neurology and cosmetology. Carrying out autoplasmic therapy allows you to increase the duration of the joint without any other aggressive interventions.
Synovial fluid protectors - a group of preparations based on hyaluronic acid, which are injected directly into the joint cavity (injection) and play the role of a viscous lubricating fluid in the case when the natural synovial fluid is almost completely absent (it provides the role of lubricating the joint surfaces). They are used in the late stages of arthrosis.
Medicines of this group are also called "synovial fluid prostheses", "biological synovial fluid substitutes." The effect after the administration of drugs is long-lasting - from 6 to 13 months, depending on the medical device used.
Some apply other groups of drugs - antispasmodics, muscle relaxants, B vitamins in therapeutic (high) dosages, but they all have only an auxiliary value in the treatment of arthrosis.
Consultation with a nutritionist and subsequent treatment of overweight and obesity are an effective complement to the basic methods of combating arthrosis of any localization. Losing weight relieves stress on the joints and facilitates exercise therapy in obese people. Often, a radical treatment for obesity - bariatric surgery - allows you to make a diagnosis in people who have suffered from gonarthrosis for many years.
Orthopedic surgeons recommend thinking about knee health before you first feel pain in this area. The recommendations are simple: monitor weight, carefully choose the right shoes, take a rational approach to physical training, go swimming (it removes the load from all joints at the same time), avoid hypothermia of the legs and stop smoking.
If the inflammatory process does not occur in the knee cavity, then warming is used to eliminate the painful sensations.Water warmers, linen bags with hot sea salt or flax seeds are used. Well warm the joints of the application with ozokerite or paraffin. They are melted in a water bath, cooled to about 45-50 ° C, applied in layers on the knee. The duration of the procedure is 1 hour.
In the treatment and prevention of DOA (deforming osteoarthrosis of the knee joint), nutrition is of great importance.
The diet should be designed to normalize weight, because the main causes of the disease include overweight, leading to deformation of the cartilage and joints.
The menu should include: dairy and sour-milk products, meat and fish, animal fats and vegetable oil. Cartilage is strengthened by jellied meat, aspic, and Armenian khash. In addition to animal proteins, vegetable ones found in buckwheat, lentils, and beans are also recommended.
It is important to know how to treat gonarthrosis at home, so that the treatment is as effective as possible and delivers a minimum of discomfort to the patient. It is mainly indicated for elderly people whose age-related changes in bones cannot be stopped, but it is also possible for other age categories.
The treatment process, depending on the stage of the disease, can last more than one year. At home, the following groups of therapeutic methods are used:
- folk remedies,
- therapeutic ointments
- assistive devices - knee pads, elastic bandages, etc.
It is better to combine all these methods. Correctly selected ratio between them enhances the effectiveness of treatment.
For such a bath, tincture of dandelion roots is used. To prepare it, you need to mix 120 g of chopped dandelion roots with 150 ml of vodka and insist in a dark place for a day. Before taking a bath, the contents of the container must be poured into water and mixed. It is recommended to take such a bath 1-2 times a week. After the procedure, pain in the knees becomes less, and mobility is gradually restored in the joints. The treatment will be more effective if you add 150 g of sea salt enriched with iodine and bromine to the water.
Special exercises in therapeutic gymnastics can and should be used even during an exacerbation, at all stages of arthrosis. Such measures can reduce pain and prevent severe restrictions on the movement of joints. However, among patients with arthrosis, the method is unpopular, since most of them are mistaken, considering that with pain it is necessary to limit any movements. The timely start of exercise, on the contrary, contributes to a more rapid recovery and a decrease in symptoms, especially pain.
Physiotherapy exercises in water, joint movements in the unloading position (lying, sitting, hanging), moderate walking on a flat surface are especially effective. If necessary, for example, with a pronounced pain syndrome, a special bandage can be applied to the joint, however, physical education should be started as soon as possible.
Gymnastic exercises and massages
5-7 sessions of classical, acupressure, can massage allow you to get rid of muscle cramps, restore previous mobility, improve blood circulation in the joint. During the procedure, the main massage movements are used - kneading, deep and superficial palpation, vibration, stroking.
The fastest way to achieve a stable remission of gonarthrosis is to engage in physiotherapy exercises daily. A set of exercises is a physical therapy doctor, taking into account the severity of the disease, the patient's physical fitness. To strengthen the muscular corset of the knee, smooth, slow bending-extension of the knee, "bicycle" are especially useful.
Which Moscow clinic can be treated for arthrosis of the knee joint?
Joint pain is a universal problem for patients of both young and mature age, which is why many Moscow clinics offer a variety of services for the treatment of arthrosis of the knee joint and other diseases of the musculoskeletal system. The key to defeating gonarthrosis is the rational choice of a medical institution, because without a competent doctor and modern equipment, you run the risk of wasting money and time, while the disease will continue to progress. The arguments in favor of the clinic are reasonable prices in the price list, its reputation and patient reviews, location, arsenal of proposed methods and service conditions.
Medical centers “Healthy People”, “Stoparthrosis” and “Orthopedic Clinic” meet all these criteria. The specialists working here have many years of experience in treating osteoarthritis of the knee joint and know how important it is to eliminate the pain syndrome and motivate the patient to recover. It is important that these medical institutions are within walking distance from metro stations, and medical consultants consult their wards by phone around the clock. And “Healthy people”, “Stoparthrosis”, and “Orthopedic Clinic” accept patients without queues, offer affordable prices and do everything possible to achieve a positive result. Here, for you, a set of exercises will also be developed for free and orthopedic arch support will be selected.
License for medical activity No. LO-77-01-013822 dated January 27, 2017, issued by the Moscow Department of Health.
Who should I contact if home treatment does not help?
If the methods of home therapy have not yielded results, it is necessary to consult a therapist.
Osteoarthritis is treated by rheumatologists. They use drug therapy, intraarticular injections, physiotherapy, massage, exercise therapy.
In difficult cases, it is advisable to consult a traumatologist orthopedist, who can prescribe an operation if necessary. He can solve the issue of arthroplasty.
You can not neglect medical care, since untreated arthrosis of the knee joint can lead to serious health consequences.
Obvious signs of discomfort that worsen the quality of life appear during the transition of the disease to the second stage. His therapy should become permanent, although it also does not require radical methods, so it is better to do this at home.
Treatment of knee arthrosis of the 2nd degree can be carried out by alternative methods, in consultation with the doctor. There are many ways of alternative therapy for knee arthrosis. Treatment is carried out using:
- cold and hot compresses,
- healing ointments
- honey wraps
- medicinal herbs wraps,
- herbal tinctures,
- salt baths
- compresses from burdock and horseradish,
- pine and turpentine baths.
Compresses made of ice or hot water are used for:
- getting rid of edema and inflammatory processes:
- heating joints to relieve pain.
The use of ice is permissible only at the first sign of a disease.
An ointment for warming up the joints is inexpensive, but if you wish, you can make it yourself from essential and mustard oils.
Leech saliva contains a substance that, when bitten, entering the human body, dilutes blood. This reduces congestion in diseased joints.
Compresses from honey are used to treat at the very beginning of the disease, wrapping cotton oiled knees at night with a cotton cloth. A great way to reduce pain and relieve swelling.
Comfrey grass is used in compresses restoring cartilage. The ointment is made from a mixture of grass and fat and, after smearing them with diseased joints at night, apply a tight bandage on top.
Baths from bischofite salts contribute to saturation of the body with mineral elements - calcium, silicon and other substances necessary for the restoration of broken bones.
The recovery of the bath from the branches of coniferous trees — pine, spruce — is approaching. They are taken for half an hour before bedtime, go to bed without wiping. They also alleviate the suffering of a sick turpentine bath, the healing properties of which were known to Siberian healers already several centuries ago.
Correctly treating arthrosis of the knee joint of the 2nd degree at home is possible only under the supervision of an experienced doctor, whose recommendations must be strictly observed.
Ekaterina Sergeevna, 48 years old:
“Only arthritis injections helped me with hyaluronic acid injections. Pricked Italian Gialgan Phidia. A very good preparation with a minimum of side effects and high effectiveness. Now I almost don’t feel pain in my knees, although I couldn’t even go down the stairs before without help. ”
Alexander Dmitrievich, 56 years old:
“I think knee arthrosis is such a disease that there is no cure for it. You can dull the pain a little, but then it will come back anyway. During the period of exacerbations, I am treated with ficus and Jerusalem artichoke. It helps no worse than pills, only there is no harm to the heart and liver. ”
“I was also diagnosed with arthrosis of the knee joint of the 2nd degree. The reason was most likely overweight (at that time I weighed more than 130 kg). For treatment, a salt-free diet, chondroprotectors, anti-inflammatory ointments and hormonal injections were prescribed. Everything was carried out in accordance with the assignments - arthrosis was completely completed. ”
Arthrosis of the knee joint is a severe pathology of the musculoskeletal system, prone to rapid progression. The treatment regimen should be selected by the attending physician after conducting a comprehensive diagnosis and identifying the degree of degenerative, dystrophic processes and deformation of the cartilage and articular surface. The prognosis of treatment depends on compliance with medical prescriptions and timely access to medical care.
In older people
Elderly patients are prescribed drugs at reduced dosages, especially if they have liver, kidney, or gastrointestinal diseases. Preference is given to ointments, gels, creams with anesthetic effect. Their ingredients almost do not penetrate into the systemic circulation, therefore, they can not adversely affect the work of internal organs. However, the condition of elderly patients is constantly monitored by laboratory tests.
In a hospital or medical sanatorium, traction therapy is possible - this is the extension of the joint (hip, knee) according to a special technique using various loads. The standard traction scheme is designed for 28 days, with a gradual increase in load and exposure time. Classic techniques and more modern ones are used with the use of simulators. Their effectiveness is almost the same, but the simulators are more comfortable for the patient.
In children and adolescents
When calculating doses, the orthopedist takes into account the age and weight of the child. Otherwise, the same methods are used in the treatment of arthrosis in children as in adult therapy. They are shown wearing orthoses, warming the joint, swimming, regular physical therapy exercises. The only exception is a complete ban on traditional medicine.
Folk recipes: infusions and decoctions
The main methods of treating gonarthrosis of 1 and 2 severity are course medications, physiotherapy and exercise therapy. Folk remedies are used only at the remission stage to eliminate weak discomfort that occurs during hypothermia, a long walk, and a sharp change in weather. Orthopedists do not recommend using them for the treatment and prevention of arthrosis, since the effectiveness of infusions or decoctions is not confirmed by research results.
Surgical techniques are resorted to in the late stages of arthrosis, when joint mobility is severely limited or absent, which affects the patient’s quality of life. All over the world, various methods of joint replacement are used, which allow you to completely restore the range of movements and return the patient to an active life at any age.
The tactics and scope of the surgical intervention are determined by the attending physician, the choice is based on such parameters as the general condition of the patient, age and the presence of concomitant diseases, overweight and others. The best results after arthroplasty were obtained in patients of young and middle age (almost complete restoration of range of motion), but in elderly people there is a significant improvement in condition, since after a successful operation and recovery they can fully support themselves in everyday life and move around not only within the apartment, but also to go outside, do not limit yourself in communication.
A good therapeutic effect is the use of massage. The patient can do self-massage at home independently, there are several ways.
Slapping with a palm on the skin enhances blood circulation and activity of the nerve pathways.
Impacts through pressed fingers soften the tissues of muscles, tendons, ligaments, articular bags. This method evenly distributes the energy of strokes, makes the blood circulate faster without damaging the capillaries.
Through the pressed palm, massage is performed on the leg area next to the sore joint. So there is a massaging of its internal working surfaces.
The massage course begins with more gentle methods, increasing the load as the healing effect intensifies. The number and frequency of procedures depends on the stage of the disease.
Treatment of the disease at home is quite possible. The combination of drugs and methods of traditional medicine gives good results. It is only necessary to carry out medical procedures under the supervision of a physician and exercise patience during their implementation.
Potato seedling tincture
A container of dark glass is filled with sprouts formed on potatoes by the middle of winter, vodka is poured or 96% ethanol diluted with an equal volume of water. Leave the jar in a warm place, periodically shake the darkened liquid. After a month, the tincture is filtered, rubbed into the knee with pain.
Bark of oak, birch and pine
Even the "neglected" ARTROZ can be cured at home! Just remember to smear it once a day.
100 g of crushed fresh bark of oak, birch, pine are poured into a pan, a liter of hot water is poured. Bring to a boil, heat on low heat for 30 minutes, cool under a lid. Filter, moisten in a broth a wide sterile napkin, lay on the joint until completely dry.
Cinquefoil and cinquefoil
Pour 100 g of dry chopped roots of saberfish and cinquefoil into a jar, pour in a liter of vodka without dyes and flavorings. Leave in a cool dark place for 2-3 months, shake daily for better extraction of bioactive substances. They do not filter, but take the required amount of tincture and rub it into the knee when uncomfortable sensations appear.
Phyto pharmacy: lotions, compresses and rubbing
For the treatment of arthrosis of the knee joint in folk medicine, the use of lotions, compresses, alcohol and oil rubbing is practiced. Their ingredients have a warming effect, stimulate blood flow to cartilages, bones, ligaments and tendons affected by pathology.
In a glass container filled with vodka or ethyl alcohol diluted with water (400-500 ml), put 3-4 large pods of hot red pepper. Leave for a couple of months in a warm and dark place. Do not filter, but take about a teaspoon of tincture to rub the knee for pain.People with sensitive skin prone to irritation are advised to replace vodka with olive or sunflower oil.
A handful of chopped dry hop cones are poured into a pan, 2 cups of hot water are poured, brought to a boil. Keep on low heat, trying not to allow a boiling boil, for 30 minutes, leave to infuse for an hour under the lid. Filter, moisten a gauze napkin, apply to the knee for 2 hours.
In a mortar, rub 2-3 large fresh leaves of burdock, add a drop of essential oils of cypress, rosemary, eucalyptus, a tablespoon of cosmetic apricot oil. The thick mixture is abundantly applied to the knee, a plastic film is applied on top, a warm cloth, fixed with a gauze or elastic bandage, hold for 1-2 hours.
A large fresh leaf of horseradish is well kneaded until drops of juice appear on its surface. Lubricated with honey, applied to the knee, fixed with a gauze bandage. The duration of the procedure is 2 hours.
Juice from vegetables and herbs
Nutritionists recommend drinking juice from celery, cucumbers, zucchini, pumpkins 3-4 times a week. You can use only one type of vegetable or combine them to your liking. During cooking, add fresh greens of dill, parsley, cilantro, the chemical composition of which includes many antioxidants. These bioactive substances protect all cells of the body from premature destruction by free radicals.
Despite all the benefits of tomatoes, there is a need for them in arthrosis in a limited amount and only as part of vegetable salads seasoned with vegetable oil. The use of tomatoes 1-2 times a week contributes to the removal of decay products of deposits of mineral salts from the cavity of the knee joint.
Gelatin is a partially hydrolyzed collagen protein necessary for the proper functioning of the knee joint, accelerating the restoration of its structures. Therefore, traditional healers recommend eating more jelly, jelly, jelly to replenish its reserves. Representatives of official medicine warn that this method of treating arthrosis will lead to weight gain. Moreover, most of the collagen is broken down in the digestive tract, not reaching the destination - ligaments, cartilage, tendons.
Pour 0.5 kg of fresh dandelion flowers into the pan, pour 600 ml of hot water. Bring to a boil, simmer for 2-3 minutes. Water is drained, the flowers are cooled, and then squeezed and dried well. They transfer vegetable raw materials to a jar and dark glass, lightly tamp, pour liquid honey. Leave in the refrigerator for a couple of months, take a teaspoon 2-3 times a day.
Products and means prohibited during treatment
From the diet you need to exclude fatty meat, rich soups, pastries, sausages, semi-finished products, home and factory marinades. Beans, horseradish, soy, lentils, figs, grapes, cranberries, raspberries, mushrooms should be limited in the daily menu.
Any folk remedy can not be used in the treatment of gonarthrosis without the consent of the attending physician. It is especially dangerous to use infusions and decoctions from plants that are not included in official pharmacognosy guides.
To prevent arthrosis of the knee, orthopedists recommend not wearing tight high-heeled shoes. You should stop smoking, drinking alcohol, strong coffee. It is necessary to exclude factors provoking the development of the disease - low motor activity, frequent lifting of heavy objects. It is useful to constantly take balanced complexes of vitamins and minerals - Complivit, Supradin, Centrum.