To want a child for a woman is normal, because bearing children is her natural function. Perhaps this is why the fair sex, who really want to get pregnant, are so happy about the delay in menstruation. But critical days are not always delayed due to conception.
In order not to rejoice ahead of time or not to be upset about the arrival of menstruation instead of a desired pregnancy, you should know what basal temperature should be before menstruation, and which indicates fertilization of the egg. It is the construction of a basal temperature graph that will help you choose the right moment for conception and learn about its onset in the early stages.
Basal temperature (BT) is a temperature measure measured immediately after a night’s sleep. Taking measurements requires compliance with certain rules, which we will definitely provide in this article.
Why measure BT - why do indications change
Measuring basal temperature and drawing up an appropriate schedule will allow a woman to assess the state of her reproductive system. Since the body of each representative of the fair sex works in its own mode, then the schedule for each lady will look different. Not only the characteristics of the body and the presence of pathologies can affect BT indices, but also the day of the cycle.
To obtain a complete picture, it is necessary to observe BT changes for at least 4 months. Measurements for 1 cycle will not allow you to make the correct calculations. It does not matter how the measurement was carried out: it can be oral, vaginal or rectal temperature, the main thing is that each time the measurement is carried out similarly to the previous one.
The schedule of BT can tell a lot about the doctor:
- most often, these values are used to determine pregnancy with delayed menstruation,
- you can find out whether the egg is ripe, that is, the time of ovulation is visible on the schedule,
- you can determine the presence of gynecological diseases and inflammatory processes,
- the functionality of the endocrine system is determined,
- the level of hormones secreted by the ovaries is estimated.
If a woman has not been able to become pregnant for a long time, maintaining a schedule of BT will help determine the presence of violations in the reproductive system, such as:
- hormonal imbalance that does not allow the embryo to gain a foothold in the endometrium,
- concealment of gynecological diseases causing infertility,
- infertility due to lack of ovulation per se
- problems in the activity of the endocrine system.
Thanks to the measurement of BT, you can significantly increase the chances of conception, some women use such charts in order to conceive a baby of a certain gender.
It should be remembered that it is impossible to make a diagnosis on your own only on the basis of indications of basal temperature, for its confirmation it is necessary to undergo laboratory and instrumental studies. An accurate diagnosis can only be done by a doctor.
To measure basal temperature gives the most reliable information, you need to choose the right moment for measurements, namely the time when the temperature is the lowest. Compliance with the following rules for measuring BT is a guarantee of obtaining accurate information:
- Basal temperature should be measured only after waking up from sleep, lasting at least 5-6 hours without a break.
- Measurements are taken at such points: the vagina, rectum (the most accurate data), the mouth. If measured in the mouth, the thermometer should be placed under the tongue for 5 minutes. At other points, hold the thermometer for 3 minutes.
- Measurement is carried out every time at the same time with a spread of no more than half an hour.
- BT should be measured with one method and one tool. For these purposes, a mercury thermometer is better.
- You need to prepare the measuring device in the evening. The thermometer must be knocked down and put near the bed so that the sutra does not get out of it, and immediately, when woke up, take readings.
- After waking up, before taking measurements, in no case should you get out of bed, stretch and actively move.
- The value of BT is influenced by every active movement and time. With each hour after waking up, it rises by 0.1 degrees, so it makes no sense to measure it day and night, the result will be useless.
- If you need to interrupt a night’s sleep for any reason, then you need to do the planned things, and then go to sleep for another 3-4 hours, and then measure BT.
- You need to take readings in a supine position, which implies taking measurements without getting out of bed.
- As soon as the thermometer is removed, you immediately need to record the readings in the graph.
- If the mercury column on the thermometer is located between two divisions, the lower mark should be taken into account.
- If a woman works on a night shift, you need to take readings after a day's sleep.
- On the graph, all incidents that may affect the value of measurements should be noted, such factors include intimate relationships the day before, a long stay on the road, fever, taking sleeping pills, hormones, or sedatives, and drinking alcohol.
- Measurements are best done before 8 in the morning.
- Since the schedule needs to be filled in about 3 months, measurements are taken daily, even on critical days.
Since the female reproductive system can rest 2 times throughout the year, ovulation does not occur at this time, then conception can only be suspected if the graph shows that it was in this cycle.
BT standards at different stages
For the female body, it is quite natural that BT changes during the cycle. But in order to determine which one is normal, it is necessary to take measurements for at least 3 months in order to obtain reliable data. Consider what are the acceptable values of BT at different stages of the menstrual cycle, as well as what this or that temperature can mean with systematic measurements, and how many days before menstruation its value begins to fall.
You need to start scheduling on the first day of your period, that is, on this day you need to make the first measurement. Its value in the early days is slightly increased, therefore, this indicator does not participate in the calculations. On average, the basal temperature during menstruation can fluctuate between 36.3-36.5 ° C, this value can be maintained throughout the first phase of the cycle. These are optimal conditions for follicle growth under the influence of the estrogen hormone.
Immediately before the ripened egg should leave the ovary, BT begins to fall by a few tenths of a degree, and then sharply rises to 37-37.2 ° С. An increase in basal temperature indicates the onset of ovulation and the beginning of the 2nd phase of the cycle, such indicators can hold until the end of the cycle.
What will be the basal temperature before menstruation depends on the state of the egg: whether it is fertilized or not. At the site of the breakthrough of the follicle in the wound on the wall of the ovary, a yellow body forms, which produces the hormone progesterone. It is on him that the result of fertilization largely depends. Under the influence of progesterone, BT increases to 37.0-37.5 ° C. This is the best time to conceive. Until the end of the cycle, the chart will show the values within such limits. At conception, such indications are noted before and after the delay - this is the surest sign of pregnancy. To confirm its onset, you can additionally use the test.
A week before menstruation, normal basal temperature can remain in the region of 37 ° C, the highest mark should not exceed 37.5 ° C. It is necessary to take into account one caveat that with a 4-week cycle, it is at this time that implantation dropping can be observed - BT decreases by several tenths of a degree while the embryo is fixed in the uterine wall. In this case, the expectant mother may feel pain in the lower abdomen, minor bleeding may also occur. BT at the time of embryo attachment may not decrease in every woman, but over time, the value is equalized anyway. If fertilization has not occurred, then the level of progesterone drops, and this leads to a decrease in BT on the eve of menstruation.
3 days before monthly BT is usually characterized by a fall of 3-5 tenths of a degree. A variant of the norm in this period will be considered its value in the range of 36.7-37.1 °. But in general, for every woman before menstruation, the norm of the basal temperature will be individual.
Thanks to the measurement of basal temperature, it is possible to assess the coordination of the work of the female body, you can accurately say when the time has come that is most suitable for conception, and to clarify the days on which you can not be protected during intercourse. It is best to take measurements several cycles in a row to achieve greater accuracy of the results.
Since the work of the female body is highly dependent on hormones, it is quite natural that because of their level, the value of BT can increase and decrease. Low basal temperature is noted immediately before ovulation and in the last days of the cycle. In the latter case, this means that fertilization has not occurred and you need to prepare for the arrival of menstruation. If the basal temperature at this time does not drop, but remains at the level of 37 and a half, or even 38 °, this may indicate the presence of an inflammatory process or illness in the body. During pregnancy, BT does not increase more than to 37.2-37.5 ° C, which means 38 ° C is an alarm for a woman, which means that you need to urgently see a doctor.
The basal temperature after menstruation is between 36-36.9 ° C, but if it remains at this level for the entire cycle, it means that this month the reproductive system decided to rest, because if ovulation occurred, there would be a temperature rise. Pregnancy will not be possible in this cycle. Panic is necessary only if a similar situation is repeated several cycles in a row - this is an occasion to seek help from a specialist.
Graph of basal temperature before menstruation
The BT graph is a regular linear graph with 2 coordinate axes, where the number of days in the cycle is plotted along the X axis, and the temperature in degrees is plotted along the Y axis, and the division price along the Y axis is 0.1 °, while the value at zero is 35.7 ° C.
Every day, a woman immediately after waking up, right in bed, measures BT using any method convenient for her using the same thermometer. Having received the value, she puts a point at the intersection of the day of the cycle and the reading on the thermometer. Then these points are connected. Thus, it is possible to clearly trace all changes in BT per cycle. The graph clearly shows when it rises and when it falls.
During critical days, BT can be 36.6 ° С, maximum 36.7 ° С, then it goes down, and immediately before ovulation it has the least value for several days. After the release of the egg in the body, there is a sharp jump in progesterone, the temperature also jumps behind it, reaching the level of 37-37.2 ° С. This level is maintained throughout the 2nd phase of the cycle, until the new cycle, and then gradually decreases.
Causes of basal temperature deviations
BT indicators can deviate from normal values characteristic of a particular phase of the cycle. If the deviations of the basal temperature indicators are significant, then it is imperative to consult a specialist.
Deviations in temperature indications in pathologies can be as follows:
- progesterone deficiency - the curve on the graph goes sharply down. The temperature may rise slightly, but lasts no longer than a week. The temperature difference between the phases is less than 0.4 degrees. The second phase becomes shorter (not 14, but 10 days), menstruation comes prematurely,
- endometritis. With inflammation of the uterine mucosa in the early days of the cycle, BT increases to 37 degrees, instead of falling. With such symptoms, you can find out about the presence of a pathology, but to confirm it, you need to contact a specialist,
- problem pregnancy. If BT is noted at 37 and a half degrees, there is no menstruation, which indicates pregnancy, but a bloody “daub” from the vagina has begun, this may be a sign of a miscarriage. If the test does not confirm the presence of pregnancy, it may be an ectopic,
- no ovulation. When the measurements are randomly plotted, they jump up, then fall down, there was no ovulation in this cycle, and conception will not occur. If this is repeated several cycles in a row, a gynecologist’s consultation is required,
- inflammation of the appendages can be diagnosed when even in the first phase a high basal temperature of 37 ° is measured, confirmation of the presence of the inflammatory process is an increase in BT to 38 degrees in the 2nd phase of the cycle.
When taking hormonal contraceptives, scheduling BT will be ineffective, since these drugs significantly distort the measurement values.
Normal basal temperature
The menstrual cycle consists of several phases, and each of them is characterized by its own BT.
In the absence of pregnancy and inflammatory disease, the basal temperature index begins to decrease a week before menstruation. For different women, this value is not the same due to individual characteristics. Important information is the temperature difference between the phases.
The follicular phase lasts from 7 to 22 days. At this time, the eggs mature. Next comes the ovulatory phase. Its term is very short - 36 - 48 hours. During ovulation, the egg fully ripens for fertilization. In the luteal phase, the follicle bursts and the corpus luteum is released. The stage lasts 11 to 16 days. Its place in the menstrual cycle is before bleeding.
The concentration of sex hormones in each phase of the MC fluctuates. The exact basal temperature is determined by the levels of progesterone and estrogen. Permissible fluctuation between phases is not less than 0.4 - 0.5 degrees. The normal duration of the menstrual cycle in a healthy woman is 21 - 35 days. Ideally, when menstruation goes 1 time in 28 days.
Here are the average basal temperature:
- Before ovulation - 37.2 - 37.4 degrees.
- On ovulation days - t reaches 37 - 37.2 ° C.
- After the release of a mature egg - the temperature is held at around 37 ° C.
- The day before menstruation, BT rapidly drops to 36.7 - 36.9 ° C.
- On menstrual days - 36.9 - 37 ° C.
- The end of the bleeding is 36.4 - 36.7 ° C.
Why you need to know the basal temperature
Basal temperature indicators are relevant for those women who want to know the exact time of onset of ovulation. This period is favorable for conception.
But if the representative of the fair sex does not seek maternity, BT will help her avoid an unplanned pregnancy.
From a medical point of view, temperature analysis can be considered as a way to diagnose infertility. Knowing the basal temperature in a particular patient will allow the gynecologist to recognize the inflammatory processes that occur in the uterus and appendages in time.
A basal temperature chart is an important tool for predicting the onset of the next menstrual period. This is true when planning long trips, performing hard work and in other situations.If measurements show a deviation from the norm, a woman should visit an endocrinologist and be examined for hormonal imbalances.
Comparing BT schedules for several months, and even better - for a year, a woman can easily determine the date of ovulation. The time of a possible conception will show the need for increased protective measures, or vice versa, will signal that there is a chance of becoming pregnant. But the probability of error here exists even in healthy women. Unexplained failures before menstruation spoil any prognosis. Therefore, fully rely on measurements is not worth it.
Nevertheless, the curved line allows you to determine ovulation in each cycle and make a conclusion about the correct operation of the ovaries. Also, thanks to the schedule, the doctor can understand whether the amount of female sex hormones is in line with the norm. Temperature points recorded on the eve of menstruation also help diagnose early pregnancy. To confirm this assumption, the gynecologist uses the method of palpation of the uterus and ultrasound data of the abdominal cavity.
How to measure basal temperature and plot
The most accurate indicators of basal temperature can be obtained by observing the rules for measuring it. Measurements in the mouth, vagina and armpit are uninformative. A reliable picture is shown by measurements taken in the rectum.
Basic rules for measuring basal temperature before menstruation:
- To take temperature in the early morning, without leaving a berth. The thermometer should be near so that it did not have to get up.
- If for any reason a woman is awake at night, on the eve of the measurement, she should sleep for at least 4 hours.
- If sleeping pills, psychotropic or hormonal drugs are taken, or alcohol products are used, this fact can affect the evidence.
- Intestinal disorders, diseases with fever and a sharp change in the regime also distort morning performance.
- The temperature should be controlled by the same device. If the thermometer fails, you need to buy a similar model.
- When measuring BT in the rectum and vagina, the thermometer is kept for at least 3 minutes. For measurements in the oral cavity, the minimum time is increased to 5 minutes.
Stress or intimacy in the morning are two other reasons why BT deviates from the norm. On such days, the temperature can not be measured at all, or these values can be discarded when calculating the averaged indicators.
The basal temperature graph is built according to this scheme - first, the days of the cycle are marked on the horizontal axis, then the measurement results are recorded vertically. If everything is in order in the body, the picture will clearly define two phases.
The first shows a low temperature of 36.5 degrees. The second, which follows the release of the egg, rises to 37 degrees. Make sure the absence of pathologies for a woman will help the average indicators of each phase.
The temperature difference between the phases should be at least 0.4 degrees. An ideal option for the second phase is a basal temperature before menstruation, slightly above 37 degrees. Closer to the onset of bleeding, indicators may slightly decrease. In the first days of bloody discharge, the temperature begins to decrease and by the last day reaches 36.5 - 36.8 degrees.
On the eve of ovulation, indicators may decrease even more, but after the release of the egg they immediately increase. This is the beginning of the second phase. Regular measurements help diagnose gynecological problems.
Some experts consider it pointless to measure the temperature on critical days, but it is during this period that BT can indicate which part of the female body requires medical attention. With the onset of menstruation, BT indicators should decrease. If the value remains unchanged, an examination is required.
Pathological abnormalities of basal temperature
About a day before menstruation, the previous basal temperature should decrease. In the following days, a decrease in temperature is also considered normal.
But if the bleeding process is accompanied by a jump in BT to 37.6 ° C, this may be a sign of the development of endometritis or endomyometritis.
It is impossible to focus on temperature marks during menstruation when making a diagnosis, they should be perceived by the doctor as additional information.
But when the basal temperature drops before menstruation below 37 degrees, and with the arrival of critical days, exceeds this threshold, for the doctor it is a signal of possible inflammation of the appendages. Another temperature difference signals diseases of the cervix and tubes. If the temperature rises by the 4th or 5th day of menstruation, the uterus and appendages will probably undergo pathological changes.
Special attention is required in those situations when, before the onset of menstruation, the basal temperature indicator was fixed at around 37.2. If there are no downward changes with the onset of critical days, it is advisable to do a pregnancy test. This situation may indicate pregnancy, but there is a threat of interruption. If the temperature slightly jumped only in one day, you should not worry about this.
P.S. Knowing the features of basal temperature before menstruation (what it should be and what deviations are allowed), a woman can still not establish her diagnoses and pregnancy.
If the schedule was drawn up over 3 months, any fluctuations should be discussed with your doctor. High temperature is dangerous in the first half of the cycle, and low in the second. Abnormal for the reproductive system and monotonous temperature. But nevertheless, a qualified gynecologist should be involved in deciphering the values of BT, since the body of each woman is a separate world with its own laws.
Can there be a temperature before menstruation
Due to the characteristics of the body in women, an increased BTT lasts about 2 weeks. Considering that the TT range of 37–37.5 ° С is the most uncomfortable for a person, one should not be surprised that women often experience mood swings and poor health. The only consolation is that you can plot a basal temperature that correlates with your period.
What you need to schedule
To identify patterns in each case, basal temperature is measured daily for 3 months. They measure BT in the morning, at the same time, and no later than 8 o’clock in the morning. The duration of sleep before measurement should be at least 5-6 hours. Prior to measurement, one cannot show any physical activity, up to "sit in bed".
BTT is always measured with the same thermometer to avoid errors in readings. Digital or special basal thermometers are best suited for this purpose, they are able to record even minor changes in BTT. The measurement takes at least 5 minutes, but some digital thermometers give an audible signal to complete the measurement.
Due to the good compression of the sphincter of the anus, the anal method is considered the best. With this method, the most accurate data is obtained. Indications are collected from the first day of the monthly cycle: the next after the end of bleeding. When menstruation occurs, the measurements do not stop.
At the end of monthly BT decreases to the usual average of about 36.5 ° C. Deviations of 1-2 tenths of a degree are the norm.
From the first day after the end of menstruation and begin to draw up a schedule. Gradually, BTT begins to grow. In the follicular period (from the beginning to the middle), it gradually rises to 36.6-36.9 ° C.
In the middle of the month period, during the ovulation phase, the basal temperature rises to 37–37.4 ° С. This is the phase of the highest temperature.The difference in BT between the follicular and ovulation phase is about 0.5 ° C. The ovulation period lasts approximately 2 weeks ± 2 days, depending on the individual duration of the monthly cycle. An increase in temperature immediately before menstruation is not normal, unless the woman is pregnant.
Can there be a temperature of 37 before menstruation?
This largely depends on the individual characteristics of the body, but 37 ° C is the lower limit of the norm in the ovulation phase before the onset of menstruation. The average basal temperature before menstruation is 37.2 ° C. Sometimes women cannot understand why, before menstruation, the temperature rises to 37.5 and keeps it even after the onset of menstruation. The answer here is simple: most likely, the woman became pregnant. The second cause of increased BTT may be infectious or inflammatory diseases.
Temperature during menstruation 38
BTT 38 ° during menstruation is not a normal phenomenon, but it occurs. And by no means always such a BT is bad news. If subfebrile temperature is present before menstruation, it is better to go to the pharmacy for a pregnancy test. If you have 2 strips, you should visit a gynecologist to confirm pregnancy. Sometimes, with a hormonal imbalance, a rapid test may show a non-existent pregnancy. If increased BT lasts for a long time, and there is no pregnancy, this is a sign of a disease that requires immediate treatment. It is impossible to postpone a visit to the doctor in the hope that it will pass by itself.
The norm of basal temperature during menstruation
With menstrual BT begins to decrease. Normally, on the first day, it can be up to 37.4 ° C. But BTT is affected not only by the phase of the menstrual period, but also by other conditions:
- the heat and stuffiness in the room,
- general overheating of the body (sleeping with an electric or under a too warm blanket),
- possible diseases
- too short, less than 4 hours of sleep before measurement,
- alcohol drunk the night before
- ingestion of food or liquid before measuring BTT,
- violation of the measurement mode BT,
- taking certain medications
- sexual intercourse in the morning before measurement,
- hormone imbalance diseases.
If the bedroom is too hot, the basal temperature can be significantly higher than normal.
Vaginal temperature before menstruation
The BT of the human body is the same everywhere, but due to the fact that in different places the thermometer sensor is adjacent in different ways, the readings differ from each other. When measuring the temperature under the arm, the indicators will be the lowest. In the vagina, the BTT is the same as in the anus, but the readings during measurement may be lower. Or be the same. Depends on the sensitivity of the sensor and the fit. The vaginal temperature during menstruation can also be lower than anal, due to moisture.
The difference between anal and oral indices may be 0.5-1 ° C.
Why does the temperature rise before menstruation
The menstrual period is divided into:
The follicular ovum matures. To create conditions for egg maturation at the beginning of the phase, estrogen production is suppressed. The lack of estrogen and leads to an increase in BT during the second ovulation stage.
Temperature one week before menstruation
If menstruation occurs every 4 weeks, then even on the 23rd day of the cycle, the basal temperature is still at around 37 °. Indicators may slightly decrease if the cycle is shorter than the lunar month or much longer. With a period of more than 28 days, all phases are somewhat "stretched" in time.
Temperature and delay of menstruation
BT from 37.5 ° to 38 ° in the second (ovulation) phase in combination with a delay in menstruation with a high degree of probability indicates the onset of pregnancy. But it must be borne in mind that increased BT can be with diseases of the organs that produce hormones, and hormonal failure can cause a delay in menstruation.
How many days before menstruation the basal temperature drops
The basal temperature in the ovulation phase is almost constant until the onset of bleeding. The body "hopes" for pregnancy. Data may fluctuate within 0.1 °. If the initial BTT was high, a couple of days before menstruation, it may begin to gradually decrease. But indications sharply fall with the onset of bleeding. The indicators almost immediately return to the average level of 36.5 ° С.
Deviations in temperature indications for diseases
Although few people have an ideal temperature schedule, each woman has her own “norm”, found out experimentally. Deviations from this norm indicate any diseases. Sometimes a steadily increased, but not very high BTT indicates a sluggish inflammation.
Deviations from the graph in one direction or another may indicate internal pathologies:
- a slight decrease in BT on the eve of menstruation and again an increase in rates above 37 ° indicate endometritis,
- increased BT, not changing for 18 days and the absence of menstruation at normal time = pregnancy. But it’s better to verify this with a specialist,
- an increase in BT to 37 ° C in the first half of the cycle indicates inflammation of the appendages. In this case, increased BT is maintained in the second phase, without decreasing with the onset of menstruation. During bleeding, BT is also greater than 37 ° C,
- a slow increase with a difference of less than 0.4 ° between the first and second phases is a symptom of progesterone deficiency. Insufficiency is also indicated by a decrease in the time of the second phase and earlier than usual onset of menstruation.
A malfunction in the temperature graph in itself is not yet a sign of any disease. Performance is influenced by many other factors. But if you have regular abnormalities, you need to visit a doctor.
When to see a doctor
With significant or regular deviations of indications from the established schedule, especially in combination with a delay or early arrival of menstruation, a visit to the doctor will be necessary. If the basal temperature in the second phase is higher than 38 °, and severe pains are felt in the lower abdomen, a visit to a medical facility cannot be postponed for a long time. A medical examination is also necessary when confirming pregnancy.
What gives the use of the method
It is no secret that the well-being of the female sex is completely dependent on hormones and special attention should be paid to maintaining the health scale. Temperature must be measured daily and data recorded. In this case, it will be possible to create a calendar of the menstrual cycle. Subsequently, your numbers, converted to a graph, let you know:
- the onset of the follicle maturation process,
- ovulation date
- hormonal disruptions occurring in the body,
- date of the nearest monthly
- to predetermine the onset of gynecological diseases and inflammations,
- about pregnancy.
Measuring temperature in the traditional way (in the armpit) does not show the full picture and cannot help in determining the hormonal state of the body. Measuring rectal temperature is a fairly accurate method. It is effective if you measure according to all the rules and regularly, for 3-4 months.
Rectal temperature before menstruation is determined individually, by prolonged observation of its changes. This is necessary to obtain reliable data and eliminate errors in future planning. To collect them, the measurement must be performed as follows:
- measurement should be carried out for 5 minutes with a mercury thermometer and 1 minute electronic,
- use the same thermometer
- the temperature should be measured during the awakening period, early in the morning, without getting out of bed, using a thermometer,
- to note all arising changes or fluctuations, despite colds, stress, physical exertion, etc.
A well-constructed schedule and the changes that arise in it will indicate a problem at an early stage and, thanks to this, a woman can avoid serious consequences or complications of emerging diseases.
The existing opinion that there is a fluctuation - a decrease or increase in basal temperature before menstruation, is confirmed by doctors. They are called some regulatory indicators that must be considered when using this method. There are two options for the course of events - with and without pregnancy. Let's consider the second version first.
So, starting observation by this method on the first day of menstruation, as a rule, a normal temperature is detected. This is a meaningless indicator that you do not need to pay attention to, but only add it to the table. Every day it falls and you need to attach importance to the last day of menstruation, when the temperature is from 36.3 to 36.5 ° C. This time is considered the most favorable for the start of follicular growth, under the influence of estrogen.
At the last stage of its formation and when a mature egg is released, the temperature decreases by 0.1-0.2 ° C and lasts several days, and then rises again to 37. This means that ovulation has occurred, which provokes an increase in the indicator. During this period, optimal conditions for the onset of pregnancy are created.
At the exit of the follicle, the wall of the ovary is injured, forming a body that produces progesterone. The hormone is responsible for fertilization and the preparatory process in the uterus for the reception of a fetal egg. This increases the basal temperature to 37.0-37.5 °. The stage lasts several days and proceeds with a gradual decrease in the degree.
The norm of basal temperature before menstruation ranges from 36.5-37.5 ° C.
With a cycle of 28 days, implantation deprivation may be seen on the graph - this is a 0.1-0.2 ° C decrease in the temperature indicator, noticeable 1-2 hours before ovulation and lasts 24 hours.
How to measure it
Basal temperature - changes in temperature, recorded rectally, orally or vaginally in a woman immediately after a night's sleep.
Regardless of the method, for an accurate measurement result, you must adhere to some rules:
- The selected measurement method should apply only one. If in this cycle you began to measure BT in the anus, then continue until menstruation. And only in the next cycle can the method be changed,
- Temperature indicators are recorded daily for at least 3-5 months in a special schedule.
- Measurements are taken early in the morning at a fixed time immediately after the woman wakes up,
- During periods of measurement, deep sleep should be at least 3-5 hours. That is, if you got into the toilet in the morning, 1-2 hours before the rise, the measurement result will be unreliable,
- The schedule should reflect not only the figures of basal temperature, but also the factors affecting its changes: stress, sexual contact, alcohol or medication, change in study time. All of this can suddenly increase BT. Therefore, make notes under the schedule. For example: "5 dts - I woke up 3 hours later."
But this is not all the important nuances. Read a detailed article on how to plot a basal temperature and how to interpret it.
Temperature indicators a week before menstruation
What should be the basal temperature before menstruation? Typical temperature values a week before menstruation remain stable, at a normal level - 36.6. This is followed by a period when the temperature before menstruation lasts 37 and remains so for 10-14 days. Then it gradually declines before the start of a new cycle.
Why is there a change in basal temperature before menstruation?
Every woman who carefully monitors her health should know that hormones that can affect a person’s temperature completely control her body.Learning how to measure it, you can accurately calculate the important days. It should be measured every day, only then it will be possible to draw up a cyclic calendar, it is well managed in cases:
- the right time for a successful conception
- definitions of gynecological inflammation
- say about hormonal failure
- to say about the imminent onset of menstruation
Why do temperature changes occur before menstruation?
Laying a thermometer and measuring in the armpits will be ineffective. It is best to measure rectal temperature with a simple electronic pharmacy thermometer and only on the mucous membranes of the body.
The temperature in the intestine should be measured in a supine position immediately after waking up without even getting out of bed. For this reason, a thermometer should be prepared in advance and put it next to the bed. The electronic thermometer will determine the temperature in seconds.
Temperature indicators three days before menstruation
The last three days before menstruation are characterized by a decrease in temperature and this is the time most unfavorable for conception.
Unprotected sex can be allowed because of the low prospect of pregnancy.
Elevated basal temperature before menstruation is gradually declining. This suggests that menstruation will begin soon. The indicator decreases from 37.1 to 36.6 ° C. The temperature before menstruation 36 may depend on the individual characteristics of the woman's body.
During pregnancy, indicators are similar only until the moment when ovulation has occurred. Subsequent indications of basal temperatures before menstruation depend on whether the fertilization of the egg has occurred, in other words, whether conception has taken place. With the development of events when pregnancy should occur after ovulation, the basal temperature before menstruation is 37 ° C. In this case, it does not change for three days and is a favorable period for conception, and also becomes the first sign of pregnancy, and standard signs and test results will confirm it.
Further, there is a slight pulling pain in the lower abdomen and abundant blood discharge from the vagina. This means that conception occurred, and an embryo was born at the inner walls of the surface of the uterus. Then the numbers are aligned and return to the previous indicators. If conception does not happen, the amount of progesterone is gradually reduced, which leads to a decrease in temperature.
On the day when the temperature dropped sharply, and then increased rapidly, it is usually considered the day of conception.
Non-standard temperature readings
Some deviations from accepted standards (for example, 38 ° C) are individual and may mean the development of various gynecological diseases. In any case, when they are detected, you need to pay attention to your health and seek the advice of a specialist, like this:
- with a lack of progesterone - menstruation appears prematurely, rectal temperature tends to fall continuously,
- with endometritis - a marked increase in temperature,
- with inflammation of the appendages, an increase occurs, etc.
Taking oral contraceptives and hormonal tablets leads to a distortion of the basal temperature and the use of the schedule in this case will not give the woman reliable information.
The basal temperature for menstruation is measured for a long time and gynecologists around the world effectively use this method to determine the state of reproductive health of women.
Basal temperature during pregnancy
- If fertilization has occurred, the temperature level will have slightly different values. Rectal temperature in the early stages serves as a peculiar way of diagnosing conception
- If you are completely sure that the pregnancy has come, then lowering the rectal temperature from the mark of 37 indicates any threat of failure
- Do not assume that such a measurement of temperature is an exhausting task. Indeed, not every woman needs to do this regularly. The temperature is supposed to be measured by those who have repeatedly faced threats and miscarriages in their lives
The norm of basal temperature before menstruation
Remember that taking medication, drinking alcohol on the eve, or not in a healthy state can change your body temperature.
temperature chart before menstruation
Before menstruation, a change in temperature in the female body occurs. You can trace this by noticing a significant increase from 36.6 to 37.6 maxim (that is, one degree). Such temperature will be supplemented with some sensations:
- chest soreness
- nervousness and irritability
The days preceding menstruation are characterized by elevated temperature and it is these days that are not the most favorable for conception. You can allow unprotected sex because of the low chance of getting pregnant.
Remember that basal temperature should be measured while lying down. Any activity can violate it and mislead you.
If you measure the basal temperature for several months in a row, you can accurately study the characteristics of your body and know exactly the days preceding the menstrual cycle.
When does basal temperature fall and rise before menstruation?
Basal temperature is a proven gynecological method that has been used successfully for tens and hundreds of years. Hormonal female background (sex hormones) affect how temperature changes with the arrival of each stage of the cycle. Particularly important temperature gets before the onset of critical days.
Temperature data can give a lot of information to doctors, and even the woman herself about what is happening with her body.
For example, this way you can determine the time of release of an egg - the time most favorable for conception or even about pregnancy itself.
Often the temperature "screams" about the presence of an inflammatory process or disease. But most often, or rather every month, she warns us about the approach of menstruation.
- As a detailed observation of the female body shows, the body temperature before the onset of menstruation is normally slightly less than rectal (the one measured by the rectal method). This temperature can vary completely, but its value ranges from 36.7 degrees to 37.6 degrees. Before the onset of menstruation, you can notice how it becomes a little lower. This happens a couple of days before the discharge begins.
- During discharge, a temperature of 37 degrees is considered optimal. This is considered the most acceptable indicator and indicates the normal course of the cycle. But it is not always necessary to focus only on a value measured only once. Here you need to keep a detailed table of measurements every day and take into account strictly all phases, where it is easy to notice the difference in other phases
- If the temperature rises before critical days, this is normal, because this is the body’s reaction to the natural process. Understanding why this happens is very simple. During ovulation, an excessive amount of progesterone, the female main hormone, accumulates in the female body. It is this hormone that can affect the temperature center. which is in the brain
- Commands from the center of the brain that the temperature should be raised. This happens about a week before the onset of menstruation and only a couple of days (about two) before the onset of blood discharge - the temperature drops significantly. During menstruation, the temperature returns to normal.
Graphs of basal temperature before menstruation
First of all, before you start measuring basal temperature, you should understand how to do it correctly:
- the thermometer should be at an accessible distance so that you can get it without getting out of bed
- temperature can be measured with an electronic thermometer (this will be simpler and more accurate) or mercury
- the tip of the thermometer should be greased with baby cream, after which the thermometer is inserted into the anus no deeper than two or three centimeters
- the electronic thermometer itself gives you a signal that the value is determined, the mercury must be kept for about five or even seven minutes
- you should not make any movements: walking, bending over, crouching - this provokes blood flow and the results may not be correct
Temperature measurement rectally before menstruation
Based on this table, you can clearly trace how the temperature changes over the course of the cycle. During menstruation, basal temperature stabilizes to an acceptable state of 36.6 or 36.7. After this comes a recession, which every day is able to fluctuate within one degree.
Before the onset of ovulation, the basal temperature gains its minimum value and is kept in it for two to three days.
After that, the egg provokes a sharp release of progesterone and the temperature rises significantly, rising to the level of 37, 37.1, 37.2 degrees.
This temperature is maintained from ten to fourteen days and only then again declines before the onset of a new cycle.
Charts of basal temperature during pregnancy
- Ovulation is maintained for two to three days and the minimum temperature is maintained all this time. After the egg leaves, it provokes the release of the hormone progesterone into the body. It is the saturation of progesterone that holds and raises the temperature
- The days after the release of the egg are the most favorable for fertilization. You can trace how the temperature level gradually rises. However, on the day when the temperature dropped sharply and the next day rose sharply. most likely fertilization
- After this jump, you can notice a significant increase in temperature, which in some cases can reach 38 degrees. It all depends on the individual characteristics of the body and the health of the woman.
- 37.2 is the temperature that indicates the onset of pregnancy
What does basal temperature say from 36.9 to 37.5 before menstruation?
Measurement of basal temperature will allow a woman to determine how well her body works, determine the exact onset of ovulation for a favorable conception and correctly calculate the days on which you can engage in “unprotected” sex.
Of course, the most accurate measurement values can only be obtained if the temperature is measured several cycles in a row.
This is normal when the temperature of the female body fluctuates at minimum values. The female body is controlled by hormones and they are responsible for the decline and growth of the thermometer. Before menstruation, the temperature rising to the minimum values decreases. it is invariable and it only says that the discharge will begin soon.
What does basal temperature say from 36.9 to 37.5 before menstruation?
In normal condition, it reaches 37, 37.1, 37.2, and even 37.5 degrees. It depends only on how the female body is structured. Be careful, the temperature increase from 36 degrees to the mark of 37 and above should be achieved only when the second half of the cycle.
What does basal temperature 38 say before menstruation?
It is possible that before the onset of critical days, you can observe an elevated basal temperature. This can symbolize the presence of any disorders or diseases in the body.
First, check yourself for any inflammatory diseases in the body.They provoke an increase in body temperature in general. If the temperature was observed for only one day. most likely it was ovulation.
A basal temperature that is held at 37.1 to 37.5 before the expected discharge and does not subside indicates pregnancy. Note that a high temperature of 38 degrees, which is held for more than one day, indicates the presence of disease and inflammation.
Before measuring temperature, pay attention to the following factors:
- sex that occurred at least six hours before measuring temperature
- not calm, getting out of bed and moving
- alcoholic drinks drunk the day before
- taking medication
- small and very short sleep
All these factors cause the incorrect and incorrect temperature measurement. Movement and sex increase blood circulation in the pelvic organs and provoke an increase in temperature.
If you notice a temperature of 36.9 in the first and second cycles, it is likely that the egg has not matured this month. It’s not worth panicking here, as ovulation may not occur for several months of the year. However, if you track this frequency over time - you should consult a doctor.
Basal temperature is normal before menstruation and in early pregnancy: graphs
In this article, we would like to highlight such an important issue for women as basal temperature. Each indicator denotes something of its own and is a signal of a particular state of the body.
Surely you have heard about basal temperature. Many women are interested in the question of when they ovulate, since with such knowledge it is best to plan a pregnancy. Yes, and problems in the gynecological part are not so rare. In all these cases, the ability to determine basal temperature can even come in handy.
BT in different phases of the cycle
The female body is a complex mechanism that is controlled by numerous hormones. They affect digital changes in temperature in different cyclic phases: it decreases or rises. That is, the graph clearly demonstrates two phases: before and after ovulation.
Basal temperature in the second phase of the cycle is an important indicator of how the female organs function. But to measure it only at this time is not enough: you need to see the whole "picture" as a whole, that is, measurements of BT over a whole month, or rather a few, are important.
Let us analyze what basal temperature should be at different cyclic phases in a non-pregnant young woman.
Luteal phase (second phase)
The temperature after ovulation increases and reaches maximum numbers (37-37.5 degrees). This is due to the active production of the hormone progesterone.
At the final stage of the luteal phase, indicators again begin to decline slightly. The optimal temperature before menstruation (for 2-4 days) is considered a basal temperature of 36.8-37 degrees.
Your rectal temperature before menstruation may not coincide with the reference. A difference of plus or minus 0.3 degrees is considered the norm, because each of us has its own characteristics. That is why it is extremely important to conduct research for several months in order to identify "their" indicators.
However, the main trend here is the general trend: the basal temperature in the second phase of the cycle rises by 0.4-1 degrees, and a few days before menstruation (2-3 days) decreases slightly (0.2-0.4 degrees).
A monophasic graph, when measurements are recorded at almost the same level, indicates the absence of ovulation. In this case, in the second phase, the basal temperature is low. This situation is caused more often by hormonal problems. Regardless of the reason, a woman will not be able to get pregnant.
Almost every woman can fix an anovulatory cycle 1-2 times a year.In this case, there is no reason to worry. However, if the graph for a long time shows a monotonous line, a gynecologist's consultation to identify and eliminate the causes is necessary.
A lack of the hormone progesterone provokes a condition called progesterone deficiency. Due to the disease, temperature indicators rise very slightly and even a week before menstruation do not reach 37 degrees.
A distinctive feature of the disease is a shortened second phase of the cycle, which causes the appearance of menstrual bleeding ahead of schedule.
Phase II deficiency (progesterone deficiency)
Inflammatory processes on the uterine mucosa cause endometritis, which can also be recognized using a curve in the graph.
A bright, characteristic feature of the disease is rectal indices in the region of 37 degrees on the first day of the cycle, and after a small drop they rise again. Such deviations from the norm require a mandatory visit to a specialist.
Signs of an inflammatory disease
With inflammation of the appendages (adnexitis), BT is stably high throughout the cycle - 37 degrees and above.
When you need to see a doctor
In addition to important knowledge about what basal temperature should be before menstruation, a woman needs to fix the duration of each phase.
The length of the second (luteal) phase is normal 12-13 days. As for the indicators before the onset of ovulation, here the time frame is freer. Nevertheless, in a healthy woman, such fluctuations should be insignificant. Moreover, such “minor violations” should be noted only in the framework of the first phase.
We list the important signs, after identifying which a woman needs to undergo a full gynecological examination:
- After ovulation, the basal temperature rises, but very slightly - by 0.3 degrees or even less,
- The figures fixing changes throughout the entire cyclic period have approximately the same indicators or exceeded or decreased values,
- In the middle of the cycle, a very slow rise in values is observed,
- The first phase lasts more than 18 days, and the second - less than 10.
BT and pregnancy
However, indicators that differ from the norm may be evidence of a pleasant and often long-awaited event.
Indeed, many women begin to use this technique to calculate the best time for conception and quickly determine the onset of pregnancy by BT.
What should be the basal temperature after ovulation if a woman conceived a child?
Sometimes, about a week after ovulation, BT sharply or slightly decreases - by 0.2-0.5 degrees. This so-called implantation retraction is the moment when the egg is attached to the uterine wall. It does not last long - on the chart, the decline is usually only one day. Then the indicators return to their previous elevated values. Before menstruation, the basal temperature is at a level of 37.1 and higher (and does not decrease, as usual).
During pregnancy, temperature data after the release of the egg for a long time remain high: from 37 to 37.5 degrees. If these factors are accompanied by a delay in menstruation, and chest tightness or soreness is felt, then a pregnancy test may be positive.
However, if vaginal discharge is added to these signs, you should definitely visit a doctor, as in this case there is a high risk of miscarriage.
In the event that pain and fever are added to the above symptoms, you need to urgently go to the hospital, as these signs may indicate an ectopic pregnancy.
Is the method reliable?
Patients and gynecologists use the values of rectal temperature for a long time, despite the fact that new, modern diagnostic methods have already appeared.
Can this research method be considered reliable? Unfortunately not.
Even if you follow all the recommendations for measuring temperature, the indicators may be inaccurate, so many factors influence the temperature regime:
- Physical exercise,
- Stressful conditions or psycho-emotional stress,
- Hormonal medication
- Infectious diseases,
- Alcohol intake
- Sexual contact
- Short or excessively long night sleep,
- Long journeys.
It is impossible to take into account all the factors influencing the change in temperature indicators, therefore it is impossible to consider the measurement as basal temperature 100% to be a reliable method.
It will be more correct to use this technique as an adjuvant along with diagnostic methods such as folliculometry or hormone tests.
What you can find out with a basal temperature graph
When a woman reaches adulthood, any woman dreams of having an ideal cyclic process, knowing the time of ovulation, in order to get pregnant at the planned time, or vice versa to prevent an unwanted conception.
For this purpose, along with ovulation tests and other methods, temperature measurement in the rectum is widely used.
That is why the question of what is the normal basal temperature before menstruation, what should be during the release of the cell and the standards for both phases is very relevant in the life of girls. Using the graph, you can identify the following points:
- is follicle maturing
- ovulation day
- hormonal disbalance,
- day of future periods
- the onset of pregnancy.
What is the basal temperature before menstruation (normal)
Before determining what basal temperature before menstruation is the norm in your cycle, we recall that measurements should be taken at least 3-4 months to ensure the reliability of the values obtained and to follow certain rules:
- The measurement time is 5-7 minutes with a mercury thermometer or 1 minute with an electronic thermometer,
- Use the same thermometer, shaking it off in the evening,
- The procedure should be done in the morning, immediately after 6 hours of restful sleep, without getting out of bed or making sudden movements, preferably at the same time,
- Enter the data in a schedule under which to note the slightest deviations in the usual way of life (colds, stress, physical strain, alcohol consumption, etc.).
A well-designed and correctly read schedule will help to identify the problem at an early stage, and eliminate it without consequences.
Temperature standards at different stages
The study must begin from the first day of menstruation. Values during this period are elevated, and therefore are not taken into account. The average temperature on the last day of menstruation will be about 36.3 ° and, fluctuating in the range up to 36.5 °, lasts the entire first phase. These are the most favorable conditions for follicle growth under the influence of estrogen.
On the eve of the release of a mature egg from the ovary, it decreases by a few tenths of a degree, and then grows to 37 ° and above, which confirms the fact of ovulation and the beginning of the second phase. Such values are characteristic almost to the end of the cycle.
What basal temperature before menstruation will be depends on the behavior of the egg: fertilization will occur or not.
After a follicle breakthrough, a corpus luteum forms on the wall of the ovary at the site of the wound, producing the hormone progesterone.
He is responsible for the fertilization and preparation of the uterus for the reception of the fetal egg, and increases the temperature to 37.0-37.5 °. Such values are most optimal for the development of pregnancy.
What is the basal temperature before menstruation for a week
A standard temperature graph over a given period will stably fix these numbers.In the case of conception, a similar picture continues before and after the delay, which is the first sign of pregnancy, which can be confirmed by other symptoms and a positive test result.
Answering the question, what basal temperature will be recorded before menstruation a week before they start, the answer is unequivocal: 37 ° and above, but no more than 37.5 °. Although with a 28 day cycle, it is at this time that you can see the implantation dropping on the graph.
It lasts a day, and the thermometer readings decrease by a few tenths of a degree. Sometimes it is accompanied by a barely noticeable pain in the lower abdomen and minor spotting from the vagina. They inform the future mother about the introduction of the embryo into the endometrial wall.
However, then the indicators are aligned and become the same. Moreover, this phenomenon is not observed in all women.
If conception does not happen, the level of progesterone gradually decreases, which leads to a decrease in temperature on the eve of menstruation.
What is the basal temperature before menstruation for 3 days
What will be the basal temperature before menstruation (for 3 days) depends on the personality of each member of the fair sex. Statistics show a decrease of 0.3-0.5 °. Values in the range 36.8-37.1 ° at this moment are considered standard.
When asked what will be the basal temperature before menstruation (for 3 days), gynecologists answer that the average temperature will be 36.8-37.1 °.
- Endometritis, inflammation of the uterine mucosa, on the contrary, raises the temperature in the first menstrual days to 37 °. This is the basal temperature before menstruation and on the first day of bleeding is the hallmark of this disease. When, after a slight decrease before the start, instead of going down further, a rise in indicators is observed, it is clear that you can’t do without going to the doctor,
Basal temperature before menstruation and on the first day, if there is such an inflammatory process as endometritis is kept at 37 °.
Inflammation of the appendages
- Inflammation of the appendages increases the thermometer, both in the first period of the cyclic process, and in the second. In the first half of the graph, an increase to 37 ° with a subsequent decrease is recorded. In the second, what basal temperature before menstruation will be in 2 days, the same holds on, reaching a value of 38 °.
In the second cycle, with inflammation of the appendages, the basal temperature before menstruation will remain at 38 °.
You should know that when taking oral contraceptives, one wonders what kind of basal temperature is before menstruation. Drinking hormonal tablets distorts the readings of the thermometer, and the resulting schedule will be uninformative.
The method of contraception, based on the study of basal temperature, has been known for a long time. Using it, it is possible to determine favorable days for conception and “safe” days in which pregnancy cannot occur. Changes in this temperature can signal a woman’s reproductive system problems.
Some representatives of the fair sex consider it rather troublesome, ineffective, others - they successfully use it in their daily lives. Variable basal temperature before menstruation will help to find out about pregnancy without the use of special tests.
It is important to record the basal temperature indicator in the morning after waking up (in a calm environment). Measure it in the vagina, oral cavity or in the anus. The last place is considered the most convenient and reliable. To obtain the most reliable data, you must:
- Measure the indicator daily at the same time after a full night's rest (basal temperature should not be assessed before menstruation in the afternoon).
- Values are taken for at least 5 minutes.Throughout the entire measurement cycle, it is important to use the same device (mercury or electronic).
- Be especially careful when drawing up an individual schedule: incorrect data will make the method unreliable, inefficient.
- As much as possible exclude associated factors contributing to an increase in temperature before menstruation. There is information about the negative effect of drinking alcohol, short sleep, intimate relationships, stress, problems with the digestive tract.
The fluctuation of the value depends entirely on the phase of the cycle. Normal fluctuations of the indicator are as follows:
- During the initial cycle, the temperature in the vagina should be 36.8 ° C. This temperature is maintained until the exit of the female reproductive cell from the ovary.
- The second stage is ovulation. The temperature will rise by 0.5-1 ° C. She will remain so until the most critical days. The reasons for the jump in values are progesterone, which is intensively excreted, and the preparation of the body itself for probable fertilization. At this stage, the temperature is up to 37.5 ° C.
- At the end of the ICP, the value is significantly reduced. Regulatory consider the mark of 37 ° C.
Temperature before menstruation. Basal temperature before menstruation: norms and methods of measurement
The reproductive system of the female body is a complex mechanism for which even the slightest failure is dangerous.
One way to control the functioning of the genital area is to measure basal temperature before menstruation. Based on daily measurements, a woman can build a BT schedule and track the dynamics of current processes. This information facilitates the identification of dangerous and safe days for conception.
The value of indicators
Based on this, we can conclude: a sharp rise in body temperature in the middle of the cycle indicates the onset of ovulation, its drop at the end on the eve of menstruation - the absence of pregnancy. Experts advise to observe fluctuations in basal temperature before menstruation (per week). So you can exclude various pathologies.
For the information of the method, the values of basal temperature before menstruation are entered into a graphic image. To draw up a schedule that will help to identify the period of temperature increase before menstruation, you need a pen and a sheet of paper in a cage.
We need to draw coordinate axes, where one axis (x) represents the order of the days of the cycle, and vertical (y) is the rectal temperature for each day. The mark of 37 ° C is best marked with a dividing line.
It will symbolize the difference between the phases of menstruation.
Description of the graphic picture of one normal menstrual cycle:
- Starting from the first day of discharge, the values slightly decrease to the level of 36.8 ° C. A similar temperature persists until ovulation (comfortable values for the maturation of cells in the ovaries).
- Elevated temperature (more than 37 ° C) is noted below. A gradual increase over several days in temperature or its stability signal problem ovulation.
- For the whole subsequent period, the value is kept high (37 and higher). Minor is a decrease in basal temperature before menstruation. Since the beginning of menstruation, the indicator has a mark of 37 ° C. The normalized values in a healthy organism in a graphic drawing are similar to the wings of a seagull. One wing shows BT in the initial phase, is below the horizontal mark, the other shows the values of the next phase, therefore it is located somewhat higher.
When constructing the correct schedule, an ovulation line is traced, which indicates days favorable for conception. Before measuring basal temperature, it is advisable to consult a doctor about the rules of measurement. Over time, each woman will be able to independently maintain and interpret a schedule with a basal temperature value before menstruation and during the cycle.
In the absence of conception, the temperature gradually decreases. High temperature (37 ° C and above) indicates a possible pregnancy. This is indicated by the delay of menstruation. Unfortunately, not only pregnancy can be the reason that the temperature rises.
The presence of small scanty discharge indicates the development of an ectopic pregnancy or warns of the threat of miscarriage. In the acute form of inflammation, a decrease in temperature does not occur at all. At the time of the onset of critical days, the values may increase by several degrees.
Endometritis appears in a similar way, but with this ailment, the temperature may drop slightly before discharge.
A high basal temperature may indicate a low estrogen content. In this case, it is recommended to consult an endocrinologist for advice. It is the graphic image for the last cycles that will greatly help in the diagnosis of pathology.
Various kinds of fluctuations of indicators - an occasion for consultation with a doctor. It is only about data that fluctuates over 3 cycles. Temperature fluctuations can be triggered by excitement, hypothermia, fatigue, inaccurate measurement.
Only on the basis of a comprehensive examination can we confirm or deny the presence of pathology. It is important for specialists to know not only the data of the temperatures themselves, but the difference in the average values between them. This value should not exceed 0.5.
Its change indicates the development of pathology.
The most informative are the data obtained in the morning. Another temperature differs significantly from this indicator. It is proved that the difference between them is significant. Such an indicator reaches its maximum values during the day. This is explained by the fact that in the daytime, all processes, as well as the activity itself, have maximum performance.
The temperature value is influenced by many reasons: physical activity, eating, psycho-emotional state. It is imperative to minimize their impact. Therefore, it is important to measure immediately after waking up, without getting out of bed. Taking certain medications (such as hormones) can significantly affect the credibility of the data.
It is important to monitor not only the temperature indicator, but also the duration of the periods. It is necessary to visit a doctor in the following situations:
- with abnormal duration of periods (the first phase lasts 17 days, the other - 12),
- with small fluctuations in the indicator,
- in case of a decrease or a stable increase in temperature before menstruation,
- with a slow rise in temperature before menstruation.
- Progesterone deficiency. It is characterized by a slow rise in values, a slight difference in them. Sometimes there is a shortening of the second phase.
- Endometritis is shown by a slight decrease in data.
- Pregnancy occurs when the temperature rises before menstruation, which can last 2 weeks, while menstruation does not occur.
Basal contraception is an effective way to plan a family, diagnose ailments, inflammation, problems with conception.
Provided that all measurement rules are met, such a method is considered quite effective. To make a final diagnosis, the method described above is not enough.
Therefore, you cannot yourself make a diagnosis and prescribe treatment, focusing only on temperature measurements.
A comprehensive examination in a medical institution will help identify pathology, and experienced specialists will prescribe the right treatment.
Basal temperature before menstruation: what should be the indicators?
One of the most important indicators of the health of the female reproductive system is the menstrual cycle. Based on the regularity and duration of each phase of the cycle, a woman can make a conclusion about the state of her reproductive system.
Along with the cyclical nature and duration of menstruation, processes occurring in the reproductive system are indicated by basal temperature.
What is covered by this concept? What should be the basal temperature before menstruation?
What is basal temperature
Body temperature is measured not only by the usual method, with a thermometer under the arm. There is another concept - basal temperature.
It is measured rectally, in the mouth or in the vagina and allows you to detect the temperature of the internal organs of the body. The measurement should be done after 3-6 hours of complete rest, or rather, after a night's sleep.
It is on this indicator that women pay attention, who carefully calculate the onset of ovulation.
The basal temperature chart, built on the basis of daily marks, makes it possible to increase the chances of becoming pregnant and determine the most favorable days for the conception of the baby. Some even believe that conception before or after ovulation affects the sex of the unborn child.
In addition, the constant construction of graphs provides opportunities:
- determine if the egg is ripening at all,
- identify abnormalities that may indicate diseases such as endometritis,
- check how intensively hormones are released in certain phases of the period (it is they that affect BT).
Elevated basal temperature during pregnancy is an occasion to do a test, followed by going to the doctor.
How to measure basal temperature to determine pregnancy
In order to build a correct BT fluctuation schedule, carefully follow the rules and make the procedure a mandatory daily routine. Morning rest and a full sleep are important conditions for starting to study your personal schedule. The following actions are recommended:
- prepare a thermometer before bedtime near the bed to measure the temperature in the morning, without getting out of bed, in a lying position,
- choose the same morning time for the daily procedure,
- maintain timing - 5-7 minutes,
- record the results (you can first into the table, and then transfer to the chart),
- build a graph of points: count the days horizontally, and digital marks (degrees and tenths) vertically,
- use the same thermometer and monitor its cleanliness.
If you want to judge the changes in cycles as accurately as possible, you should build charts for several months. Each woman has differences, the onset of ovulation and the general temperature level are individual, so the basal temperature during pregnancy may vary. The schedule may be affected by health conditions, stress, moving, drinking, sexual intercourse and other factors.
Basal temperature in early pregnancy
Conventionally, the basal temperature graph can be divided into 2 phases:
- hypothermic, "low",
- hyperthermic, "high".
During menstruation, the temperature, as a rule, keeps at around 36.2-36.4 degrees. Before ovulation (most often it is the 13-15th day of the cycle), it decreases under the influence of estrogen. Then comes the maturation of the follicle, and the rate rises to 37.1 ° C.
By the beginning of the next menstrual period, the temperature keeps slightly elevated and decreases in the last days of the cycle. It is these last days before the start of the next menstruation that must be taken into account. The second phase shows changes in the body.
If the basal temperature does not drop, especially if it is pronounced high (37.2 - 37.3), this may indicate an increased production of progesterone, and, therefore, pregnancy. The body, therefore, signals an increased production of progesterone.
The basal temperature during pregnancy should not fall - such "failures" in the line can even become a serious reason for contacting a gynecologist.
Basal temperature during ovulation
In the first phase, when the cycle begins, the basal temperature graph most often moves between 36.3-36.5.
During ovulation, a pronounced jump and a value of 37-37.2 degrees should be observed.
Each woman or girl can have an individual BT line, but a sharp change of 0.4-0.6 ° C can be considered as confirmation of ovulation upward (often after a sharp one-day drop).
In order to determine the trend of the graph and accurately recognize the onset of ovulation by temperature, you need to observe the overall picture of the cycle for at least 3-4 months in a row.
Basal temperature - what is it?
Under the influence of physiological processes, the temperature inside the human body is constantly changing. Hormones, which have different concentrations on different days of the menstrual cycle, have a special effect on the female reproductive system. It is they that affect the internal temperature indicators, when a woman is healthy.
However, when fixing the temperature in the armpit, minor changes will not be noticeable. Catching the slightest fluctuations in indicators allows the measurement of basal temperature. BT is the smallest daily indicator of body temperature, which is recorded at the time of a person’s awakening after a full sleep.
Basal temperature differs from normal in that it is measured only on the mucous membranes. It is measured in three ways:
Of these methods, rectal is recognized as the most reliable. BT is widely used in gynecological practice as a method of diagnosis and control. However, in order for the measurement of basal body temperature to be informative, it is necessary to take measurements and record indicators every day for several cycles.
What can basal temperature talk about?
Based on daily data, a woman can trace an individual schedule of temperature fluctuations in different phases of the monthly cycle. Fixation of basal temperature allows you to identify:
- The beginning and end of the menstrual stage. Each phase corresponds to certain temperature indicators. Based on the data, the duration of each of them is tracked.
- Favorable days for conception. There is only one day during the cycle when the egg is ready for fertilization. BT allows you to identify this period.
- The development of the inflammatory process in the reproductive system. The body of each woman is individual. However, there are general regulatory temperature indicators. If the temperature deviates significantly from the norm, this indicates the development of the disease. Pathology is also detected in the case when the current temperature graph differs from the previous ones.
- The onset of pregnancy. The internal temperature after fertilization remains stable throughout the entire period of gestation. Stability after ovulation suggests fertilization.
- Hormonal disorders. Malfunctions in the hormonal system are also indicated by deviations from the norm. Each phase of the menstrual cycle is affected by a specific hormone. BT depends on its concentration. If the hormone is insufficient or in excess, the temperature will deviate from the norm.
Graphs of basal temperature allow gynecologists to confirm infertility, pregnancy, diagnose the threat of miscarriage and hormonal deficiency. Separately, this diagnostic method is not used, however, in combination with other methods, it allows to obtain a reliable result. Information for 3 months or more is considered informative.
How is BT measured?
The peculiarity of basal temperature is that many factors influence its performance. Significantly distort the data:
- diseases accompanied by fever (colds, viral and bacterial infections),
- alcoholic drinks on the eve
- short sleep
- sudden movements
- eating, drinking,
- change of time of measurements,
- overheating or hypothermia of the body,
- endocrine pathologies,
To obtain a reliable result, it is necessary to measure the temperature in the rectum. Use a mercury or electronic thermometer. However, it should be borne in mind that the electronic instrument shows the result after about 1 minute, and the mercury - after 5-7 minutes. Basic rules for measuring BT:
- Temperature is measured in the morning immediately after waking up. The night before, you need to put the measuring device in a place where you can get it without getting out of bed. Measurements are recommended from 6 to 7 in the morning.
- For measurements, always use the same measuring device. If for any reason this is not possible, you should purchase a similar one.
- A thermometer should be injected approximately 2 cm into the rectum. You can’t get out of bed. The thermometer is inserted while lying on your side or stomach.
- Sleep on the eve of measurements should be at least 5 hours. The most reliable information is revealed during a night's sleep for more than 6 hours.
- You cannot change the measurement time. Allowed fluctuations within 1-2 hours.
- When scheduling BT, you can not take hormonal drugs. Medicines affect the natural level of hormones, so the information is not indicative.
- If on the eve of the measurement there were factors influencing the results, it must be noted in the graph.
What should be BT on the eve of menstruation?
However, there are norms of changes that need to be guided. To determine personal indicators that indicate a particular phase of the cycle, the following should be considered:
- on the first day of the cycle (the beginning of menstruation), the indicator reaches 36.7–37 degrees,
- then the temperature decreases, on the last day of menstruation it approaches 36.2–36.6,
- when the egg ripens, the temperature indicator is 36.6–36.9,
- on the eve of ovulation, a decrease of 0.2 degrees is noted on the thermometer,
- on the day the egg is released from the follicle, the thermometer column rises sharply and shows from 37 to 37.5 degrees,
- further indicators can fall by 0.1-0.2 degrees, but will stay above 37,
- if fertilization has not occurred, before menstruation, the temperature will decrease by 0.2-0.4 degrees.
Thus, the basal temperature before menstruation depends on the time remaining before the start of the menstrual cycle.
What does an increase in BT on different days of the cycle mean?
An increase in basal temperature on different days of the cycle occurs for natural reasons and as a result of pathological processes in the body. The growth of BT in the middle of the cycle is due to the influence of estrogens, which contribute to the release of the egg from the follicle. Further maintenance of high rates provides progesterone, preparing the body for pregnancy.
If the temperature remains stable high after ovulation, fertilization has occurred. In this case, there will be no further decrease in BT, menstruation will not begin. However, a high temperature during menstruation, elevated indicators in front of them or during the period of follicular maturation indicate the development of pathology of the genitourinary system.
Possible deviations and diseases are described in the table.
|BT after menstruation (at the stage of egg maturation) above 37 degrees||Inflammation of the appendages|
|Inflammation in the ovaries (oophoritis, adnexitis)|
|During menstruation, the temperature reaches 37–38 degrees||Endometritis|
|Until monthly, indicators decrease, but during them increase to the level of the last phase||Endometriosis|
However, in addition to an uncharacteristic increase in temperature, it is necessary to pay attention to the low level of indicators during the last phase of the menstrual cycle. If there is no change in BT, a violation of progesterone production is possible. Sharp jumps and drops in temperature indicators throughout the entire menstrual cycle also indicate hormonal imbalance.
Regulation of the cycle in women and basal temperature
It can be useful for any woman to create her menstrual calendar or a special diagram of her cycle. By doing so, you can recognize your body, find out what is normal for you, and have benefits for your own health.
Your menstrual cycle can, in principle, be divided into phases: the preovulatory infertile phase, the fertile phase and the post-vascular infertile phase.
You can determine what stage you are at by observing three key indicators of fertility: basal temperature, cervical fluid, and cervical position.
The menstrual cycle is directly influenced by estrogen and progesterone, and the body reports the status of these hormones daily. Estrogen dominates the first part of the cycle, progesterone dominates the last.
Another hormone called luteinizing hormone (LH) is a catalyst that stimulates the ovary to release the egg. Ovulation (egg secretion) occurs once per cycle. During ovulation, one or more eggs are secreted.
The egg can be active for 12-24 hours. All these processes affect basal temperature.
Women who have natural menstrual cycles have a two-phase structure of basal temperature. The first phase of your cycle has lower temperatures, and the second phase of your cycle has higher temperatures.
The first phase is called the follicular phase. This phase begins on the first day of your period every cycle and ends with ovulation. After ovulation, the luteal phase. After ovulation, the corpus luteum (the remains of a follicle that releases an egg during ovulation) produces a heat-inducing hormone, progesterone.
The progesterone produced by the yellow membrane during your luteal phase raises your underlying body temperature. The main reproductive function of progesterone in the luteal phase should cause changes that prepare the lining of the uterus for implantation of a fertilized egg.
However, progesterone also leads to an increase in resting body temperature after ovulation. Since progesterone is only secreted at high levels after ovulation, you can determine ovulation during the day before the temperature rises when temperatures are plotted.
The temperature range can vary from woman to woman, as each person is unique. If there is no pregnancy, your temperature will remain elevated for 10-16 days until the corpus luteum regresses. At this time, if there is no pregnancy, the level of progesterone drops sharply, and you get your period.
Your temperature usually drops at this time, although it is not uncommon to have unstable or high temperatures during your period.
But keep in mind that basal temperature is the temperature of your body at rest, unchanged by other factors. It can be used to reliably confirm ovulation, since progesterone, which is produced only during the luteal phase, raises your underlying body temperature.
Basal temperature characteristic
Measuring your body temperature on a regular basis can help you find out when ovulation will occur.Usually there is a decrease in temperature immediately before ovulation and a sudden increase after that.
What is basal body temperature? This is the lowest body temperature when measured in the morning after rest. This is the baseline of value, which is then used to compare any rise or fall during each month.
For the values to be effective, a woman needs to measure her temperature before she even gets out of bed and if she sleeps for at least four hours, and preferably more.
It is very important to measure its temperature before eating, drinking or going to the bathroom and before any sexual activity - all this increases the heart rate and, in turn, the body temperature from the initial level.
How to take measurements? A digital thermometer may be easier to use than a mercury thermometer, and it is important to have a thermometer that measures Celsius rather than Fahrenheit. Specially designed basic body temperature thermometers are available at pharmacies.
In terms of accuracy (which is important when measuring basal body temperature), it is worth buying a new thermometer. Basic thermometers give more accurate temperature readings than standard digital thermometers. When using a basic thermometer, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions.
Each design is slightly different and it is important to follow the steps for proper use to ensure accuracy.
The thermometer should be placed under the tongue and left there until it beeps. If you are using a mercury thermometer, you must leave it for three minutes to get an accurate reading.
When to start measuring your base body temperature? On the first morning of the menstrual cycle, as this indicates the beginning of each cycle. It is important to be sure that the value is accurate.
How to observe basal temperature? Take the temperature value obtained and mark X in the field where the date and temperature intersect. Connect each point with the line and see if there is a change during the month when the line goes up or down. Over time, you are likely to see a degree sample that reflects your ovulation patterns.
For each new month and every menstrual cycle, it is important to start a new chart. For each day of the month you have had intercourse, circle the dot on the corresponding day or place a small symbol that looks like an asterisk (*) in the box at the bottom of the chart.
Remember that this is not so much an individual measurement of temperature, which is important, but also a picture of the change between the first and second halves of the cycle. As a rule, in the first half (before ovulation) there is a lower temperature record and a higher “surge” (after ovulation) in the second half.
What are the changes in basal temperature over the course of a month? During a regular 28-day menstrual cycle, normal body temperature is around 36.5 ° C. Just before ovulation, your temperature is likely to drop to 36.2 ° C.
This is normal for this to happen within 13-14 days of the cycle.
Then, just like you ovulate, your temperature will increase, and will increase until it rises to 37 ° C, where it will remain until the time of menstruation.
What should be the basal temperature before menstruation? The norm of this value is individual. But on average, this figure reaches 37, and then gradually decreases. How many days before menstruation does basal temperature go down? As a rule, in 3-4 days there may be a slight decrease in temperature, but not lower than 36.8.
The basal temperature a day before menstruation drops a little to 36.5, and then reaches the lowest figures just before ovulation. Thus, the basal temperature graph before menstruation has a constant value and it is slightly lower than after ovulation.
Basal temperature before menstruation day and evening may vary, but these values are not significant.
But basal temperature can be 36, 37, 38 before menstruation, which may be an individual feature or may reflect the presence of a concomitant condition in a woman.
Therefore, as a rule, women need to determine the temperature of the main basal body for three or more months before they see a predictable picture. It takes time to build confidence in the ability to predict ovulation or menstruation through changes in temperature and other changes in the body.
Factors that can interfere with morning temperature: fever, alcohol consumption per night, less than three consecutive hours of sleep before measuring temperature, thyroid condition.
How accurate are these changes in basal body temperature? Maintaining basal body temperature is not an accurate predictor of ovulation. In many ways, it is more useful as a tool for measuring ovulation after it has occurred, and not before.
Keeping a record and then interpreting the picture of temperature rise and fall will help you find out when your most fertile time period is likely to be. But remember that this is not a guarantee that you will become pregnant, and there are several factors that must be aligned before conception.
Not all women have a fever when they ovulate, and although this is considered normal, this is not a consistent picture among all women.
An increase and decrease in basal temperature before menstruation can have several reasons. What is extremely low basal body temperature? Usually there is a slight difference between the low temperature phase and the high temperature phase: this difference is from 0.3 to 0.5 ℃, and the basal temperature level is usually in the range from 36 to 37 ℃.
If you have less than 36.5 ℃ even during the high temperature phase, this means that you have a low basal body temperature.
Low basal body temperature can be caused by many reasons, but one of the reasons is associated with changes in hormone levels.
Because female hormones affect temperature, changes in the levels of secreted hormones, in addition to stress, accumulated fatigue or lack of sleep, changes in diet can cause your body temperature to remain low.
In addition, an unhealthy diet that does not hold the body warm enough or has food that can lower your BBT level and thus impair blood circulation is a factor that can contribute to low basal body temperature.
Even if you have adapted well to problems and continue to maintain a healthy lifestyle, increased levels of hormone secretion can cause your thyroid gland or your reproductive organs to function slower and contribute to low basal body temperature. It is recommended that you visit a doctor and check yourself if you have a constantly low basal body temperature for a period of 3 to 4 weeks.
Low basal body temperature can, in some way, be corrected by changing lifestyle.
Having a regular schedule that you follow, having adequate sleep and a balanced diet can help regulate hormone secretion and increase your temperature.
Find ways to help you deal with stress and don't let it build up, as stress can affect hormonal secretions.
An increase in basal temperature can be against the background of a disease and systemic hyperthermia, therefore this fact must be taken into account with such changes.
The basal temperature before menstruation can vary, which allows you to plan your affairs with an irregular cycle.But basal temperature can only be estimated after a thorough analysis of the temperature graphs that have been plotted for your observations for at least three consecutive months.