This is a large winding shrub-vine from the Magnolia family. Its length reaches fifteen meters, and encircling trees, lemongrass resembles a vine. The thickness of the stem is 2 centimeters. The plant takes the form of a bush in the northern regions. The leaves of lemongrass are light green, petiolate and slightly fleshy, mainly located in bunches, their petioles can be either reddish or pink. The flowers are cream or white with a pleasant smell, and stamens of 3-5 pieces are combined into a thick column.
The berries of lemongrass are 2-seed, bright red, juicy, spherical, very sour. The seeds smell like lemon and have a bitter, burning taste. The bark of roots and stems also smells of lemon, hence the name - magnolia vine.
Wild liana grows in the south of Sakhalin, in Primorye, and it can also be found in broad-leaved forests, in river valleys, along edges, on clearings. Abundant harvests of lemongrass occur once every several years, and due to careless clipping of branches during harvest, the growth of shrubs stops.
How to choose
Usually the fruits and seeds of lemongrass are harvested. As they ripen, produce fruit. And the drying process consists of two parts: first lemongrass berries are slightly dried in the air for two to three days, and then they are dried in a special dryer or ordinary oven. Initially, the temperature is set within forty degrees, and by the end of drying they raise it to sixty.
How to store
Unfortunately, it’s hard to find and buy fresh berries of lemongrass. But summer residents, in their plots grow this vine. The fruits collected in a thin layer in boxes are dried immediately. Then put in small bags.
You can squeeze juice and preserve it with sugar from fresh berries without damaging the seeds. After a little standing, the juice acquires a jelly consistency.
Another good way to store fruits is to sprinkle them with sugar, grind well and put in a jar. You need to store in the refrigerator.
The fruits of lemongrass contain almost 20% organic acids, most of which are malic, citric and tartaric. A little sugar and about 500 mg of vitamin C per 100 grams of berries. Also included are pectins, tannins, saponins, flavonoids, anthraquinones. Schisandra is rich in essential oils, because in its stem and seeds there are more than two percent, and in the bark of the stems above three. Essential oil found its application in perfumery.
Up to 33% of fatty oil is included in the seeds. The oil consists of glycerides of fatty unsaturated acids - oleic and linoleic. Vitamin E was found in it. Thanks to its composition, lemongrass has immunostimulating, adaptogenic, stimulating and tonic properties.
Composition and availability of nutrients
Lemongrass leaves contain a large number of micro and macro elements: calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, copper, manganese, cobalt, iodine, zinc and aluminum. They are also present in fruits, but only in much larger quantities.
The value and useful properties of magnolia vine fruits are vitamins E and C, mineral salts, organic acids, sugars and other components mentioned above.
But the most important and useful components in schizandra are schizandrol and schizandrin - biologically active substances that are found in essential oils. They tone and improve liver function. These substances stimulate the cardiovascular and nervous systems. The daily dose of these substances is contained in 50 grams of fresh pulp of magnolia vine fruits.
Even in the V century, it was known about the refreshing and tonic effect of magnolia vine fruits.Local hunters in the Far East took dried lemongrass berries with them for hunting, they helped them to be more durable.
To date, lemongrass has found its wide application as an adaptogenic and stimulating agent for mental and physical overwork. It is also very effective in depressive and asthenic syndromes.
In China, the seeds and fruits of lemongrass are used for weakened heart muscle, heart neurosis, jade, hypertension. A decoction of berries also lowers the level of sugar, chlorides and reserve alkali in the blood, and also stimulates tissue respiration.
Fruits and seeds are prescribed for various diseases: anemia, sexual weakness, pulmonary tuberculosis, diseases of the kidneys, liver, stomach, respiratory organs.
It is very simple to prepare the infusion: take 1 tablespoon of dried or fresh berries and pour 250 ml of boiling water, leave for at least two hours. Take four times a day, two tablespoons.
Alcohol tincture can be prepared as follows: 10 grams of crushed seeds, 20 grams of fruit pour 100 ml of alcohol 70%, insist 10 days, then strain. Take on an empty stomach 25-30 drops.
In cooking, lemongrass is used to make delicious fruit drinks, syrups. Such drinks cheer up and relieve fatigue. Jams, preserves, jam and compotes are very tasty with lemongrass. Confectionery factories add it to some varieties of marmalade, chocolate and sweets. And at the Primorsky combine they produce refined sugar, which contains lemongrass extract.
Lemongrass is a woody liana whose stems and leaves exude a pleasant lemon scent. In its tonic and other healing properties, the unique plant is second only to ginseng. Despite the fact that botanists number from 14 to 25 varieties of lemongrass, in folk medicine, only two types of beneficial properties are used. One of them is the Far Eastern plant.
The Far Eastern lemongrass is a perennial representative of the family, whose stem can reach a length of 15 m. A young specimen can be recognized by the yellowish hue of the bark. Over the years, it darkens and becomes dark brown. The root has the appearance of cords and has numerous subordinate roots. The stalk is wrinkled, at first glance it may seem dried up.
Liana is cultivated in various countries. Under natural conditions, it can be found in the Amur Region, Khabarovsk Territory, Sakhalin, and the Far East.
What is lemongrass?
Schisandra (also called Chinese schizandra) is a deciduous or evergreen liana, a reed-like plant with a powerful strong stalk reaching a height of 15 meters. Schisandra have about 25 species, the most famous among them is Chinese schisandra.
Most lemongrass species are found in Asian countries. Schisandra grows in our country mainly on soils rich in humus. Often this vine grows in places where there were forest fires. It has nothing to do with citrus fruits, the plant got its name because of the aroma of lemon.
Schisandra plant is a perennial, it belongs to the family Schisandra (or schizandra). Schizandra has a long, branched stem, has a rough structure and wraps around other plants. The color of the bark of a young schizandra is yellow, that of an adult is brown. The leaves also have different shades, most often from below the leaves are lighter, and above it is darker and have a dark green color.
The flowers of the plant have a pleasant smell, pink or white. The fruits of lemongrass are red berries, collected in a bunch consisting of 30-35 berries. Schizandra berries have a very unusual taste. The scope of lemongrass is very extensive - it is the medical, culinary industry, cosmetology, perfume production. Schisandra is planted specifically for decorating gardens and parks.The benefits of this plant were discovered in ancient times. And today lemongrass is one of the most valuable and useful plants.
Chinese magnolia vine - contraindications
Schisandra is a very interesting and useful plant, but due to the fact that it is one of the strongest biostimulants, you need to know about contraindications when taking drugs or decoctions with it.
So people with increased acidity of the stomach are not recommended lemongrass because of the possibility of heartburn. Children under 12 years of age, as well as pregnant and lactating women, are contraindicated in taking Chinese magnolia vine preparations. Although sometimes during pregnancy, decoctions are used to reduce the symptoms of early toxicosis, which include lemongrass, but these appointments must be coordinated with the doctor observing the pregnant woman. You should refrain from these drugs and people with increased intracranial pressure, hypertension, patients with epilepsy, with liver diseases, heart failure. In any case, the appointment of this powerful biostimulator is possible only after consulting your attending physician!
Schisandra for immunity
plate of dried Schisandra fruits for brewing in tea for immunity
During the expected epidemics of acute respiratory infections, influenza, after suffering serious illnesses, poisoning, as well as for people with a dynamic pace of life, preventive measures for immunity are extremely important.
One of them is the intake of natural adaptogens. Among the latter, a worthy place is given to lemongrass.
As a result of taking it from you:
appetite and well-being will improve
- apathy, depression, fatigue will go away
- the heart muscle and vascular system will receive an incentive for coordinated work
- hollow internal organs will come to a healthy tone
- the body's resistance to attacks of viruses, bacteria, and toxic substances will increase
Take dry or fresh parts of lemongrass in any convenient way:
- like alcohol tincture, diluting it in a glass of water / tea
- like a water infusion brewed in a thermos
- chew dry powder twice daily before meals
- eat flavored jam / jam while drinking tea
Chinese magnolia vine - instructions for use
The use of Schisandra chinensis is very diverse. Alcoholic and water tinctures are prepared from leaves, stems, fruits, seeds, brewed teas, decoctions, boiled jam, jam, consumed fresh.
- To prepare the alcohol tincture, 10 grams of dried or fresh berries are insisted in 50 ml of 70% alcohol for 10 days. After this time, the filtered berries can be refilled with alcohol and insisted for another 10 days. Combine both parts of the tincture, dilute 2 times with water and take 20-30 drops 1-2 times a day before meals.
- For the preparation of water tincture 1 tbsp. seeds pour 250 ml of boiling water and insist for two hours. Then take 2 tbsp. 3-4 times a day before meals.
- You can make tonic tea from lemongrass, for this 1 tbsp. chopped leaves or stems pour a glass of boiling water and insist 10-15 minutes. You can add honey or ginger to your taste.
- The dried parts of the plant (and fruits, and leaves, and stems, and seeds) are crushed to a powder state and teas, fruit drinks, and fruit drinks are added no more than 3 grams per day.
- Pharmaceutical tincture of lemongrass is also used, for this 25-30 drops of tincture are diluted in a glass of water and taken 2 times a day before meals.
It must be remembered that Schisandra chinensis is a strong tonic, therefore, drugs are taken with it either in the morning, or until 19 hours, this will help to avoid insomnia.
Is lemongrass syrup possible for children
Due to the lack of a culture of taking medicinal herbs and the heyday of the production of chemicals, doctors will respond negatively. And they will add that lemongrass syrup is better for a child to start giving after 12 years of age.
Some people in white coats can voice a different age line - 5-7 years.
Therefore, parents should consciously weigh all the nuances of their child’s health status and decide whether to give lemongrass syrup or wait a while.
Please note that:
- as a prophylactic, taking lemongrass as a child reduces the likelihood of flu diseases by 4 times,
- lemongrass in a child is milder than lemongrass.
Schisandra chinensis for athletes
Chinese schisandra preparations are interesting for athletes with their property of increasing endurance during training, accelerating recovery after their completion. Lemongrass is also used during the competitive period, when discipline, high tone are required, athletes experience increased physical and psycho-emotional stress. Actively involved in sports and use pharmacy oil of schisandra. 1 ml of oil per day increases the production of adrenaline, norepinephrine, activates working capacity, raises immunity, and facilitates the body's susceptibility to increased physical and mental stress.
It is important for athletes to know that lemongrass preparations have a stimulating effect, although they are not doping, their effect is much more natural and even. But especially before the competition, it is necessary to consult with a trainer and a doctor about what Chinese magnolia vine has medicinal properties and contraindications of which may make it undesirable to take it.
In the article we examined such an interesting plant, Chinese magnolia vine, for which it is necessary to apply it, its medicinal properties, and contraindications. Schizandra preparations, although they are a powerful stimulant, do not cause subjective arousal. Therefore, lemongrass should be used with caution in order to avoid overexcitation of the nervous, cardiovascular systems.
Hazardous properties of Schisandra
Preparations containing lemongrass have virtually no contraindications. But, despite this, it should be used only after consultation with a doctor and not be abused.
Schizandra is contraindicated for people with increased nervous agitation, insomnia, high blood pressure, and increased gastric secretion.
If you do not want to suffer from insomnia all night, take medications with lemongrass no later than 18-19 hours.
During pregnancy, the use of lemongrass is also discussed with the doctor.
In the video, Evgeny Fedotov and Roman Vrublevsky will tell you about the beneficial qualities of lemongrass and show how this plant looks.
Useful properties of lemongrass
The rich chemical composition determines the main healing properties of Chinese magnolia vine. Tart berries have the following effects:
- They are an excellent prevention of colds and viral diseases. Tea from Chinese magnolia vine has a positive effect on the human immune system, increases the body's resistance to pathogenic bacteria, helps to eliminate fever, chills and headaches.
- Stimulate the work of the heart. On the basis of the fruits of Schisandra chinensis, medicines are made that are specifically designed to treat complex cardiovascular diseases. The plant strengthens the walls of blood vessels and normalizes pressure.
- Contribute to the restoration of the liver. The fat-soluble components included in the composition remove harmful toxins and toxins from the body that affect the health of the liver.
- Improve the psycho-emotional state. Treatment with Chinese lemongrass eliminates the signs of depression, headache, increases mental activity and endurance of the body.
- Treat hormonal disorders. The basis of the berries of Chinese magnolia vine contains a high concentration of phytoestrogens, which normalize the functioning of the pelvic organs. Restore the reproductive function of the female body.
Successfully apply Chinese magnolia vine for weight loss. Berries contribute to a more effective loss of extra pounds.Schizandra launches metabolic processes, and drinks based on it activate the process of burning fat.
Healing plant native to China
The homeland of schisandra chinensis (Schisandra chinensis), as the name implies, is China. For more than 15 centuries, local residents have been using it to restore strength after various diseases, maintain vitality and strengthen the immune system. The plant came to Europe at the end of the 19th century and quickly gained popularity among hunters: its dried berries helped them stay alert and save energy.
Today, the properties of Schisandra chinensis are well understood by official medicine. Drugs based on it help restore vision, activate energy production and support working capacity by stimulating the immune system to fight infection.
Schisandra chinensis refers to flowering and fruiting vines, dropping leaves for the winter. The stems and leaves have a lemon aroma. Fresh berries taste sour, and the bones in them are strongly knitted, so they are rarely used in their pure form. They are, as they say, an amateur.
The berries of lemongrass are beautiful, but they have an amateur taste
Most often, the fruits of lemongrass are added in the preparation of juices and compotes, jam, marmalade or wine. You can also pour them with honey or grind with sugar in a ratio of 1: 1. Natural juice is also prepared from berries. It is perfectly stored at a temperature of +4. + 6ºC without loss of its healing properties. If you dilute it with water or add to tea, you get an invigorating, mood-enhancing and emotional tone drink. Twigs and leaves of lemongrass are used to brew tea, which has a general tonic effect. It can be consumed hot in winter and chilled in summer. It gives vitality, relieves fatigue and drowsiness.
What does lemongrass look like and where does it grow
Schisandra is called a liana-shaped plant that grows on the territory of East and Southeast Asia. The plant is found in Japan, China and Korea, and in Russia grows in the Far East, the Kuril Islands and Sakhalin.
Vines of Chinese lemongrass can reach a sufficiently large length - up to 15 m. They are covered with elliptical dark green leaves. The main value in the Chinese plant is its fruits - juicy red berries that appear on the shoots with long dense tassels.
At first glance, it seems that both the liana and the berries have nothing to do with lemons. The question arises - where does the name come from? The answer is very simple - the berries, leaves and stems of the plant emit a distinct lemon smell.
What is useful Chinese lemongrass
The benefits of Chinese magnolia vine for the human body are quite large. With the constant use of berries:
- fight overfatigue and replenish energy reserves,
- cope with muscle pain
- increase the level of immune resistance and strengthen the nervous system,
- contribute to the rapid disposal of excess body fat,
- lower blood glucose and equalize blood pressure
- strengthen the vascular walls and thereby protect the heart from ailments,
- activate brain activity and have a beneficial effect on the hormonal background,
- help in the treatment of stomach upsets and colds.
In addition, the beneficial properties of lemongrass berries prevent the development of vitamin deficiency and anemia. The plant helps to extend the overall life expectancy, as it strengthens all the important systems of the body.
The benefits and harms of the Chinese magnolia vine for the body of women are expressed in the fact that the properties of the plant eliminate poor health and mood swings during menopause. Use it is useful during menstruation and simply during periods of intense mental and psychological stress.
The use of lemongrass for women also lies in the fact that the properties have a beneficial effect on female beauty - on the basis of the plant, many effective home remedies are prepared.
The berries of the plant contain a lot of phenolic compounds and biologically active components that prolong the youth of the male body. The benefits and harms of the Far Eastern lemongrass are manifested primarily in relation to the hormonal background of men - the properties of the product increase libido and potency, protect against impotence.
The use of lemongrass for men is also expressed in the fact that berries prevent the occurrence of inflammation of the prostate and improve the quality of the genetic material.
Indications for use
In medical practice, not only fruits, seeds, stems, leaves are used, but also the root of Chinese magnolia vine.
The main indications for the use of Chinese magnolia vine are:
- acute respiratory infections, whether pneumonia, bronchitis or pneumonia,
- digestive system disorders
- heart and vascular diseases,
- decreased mental activity, increased fatigue,
- depressive disorder, apathy, headaches, fatigue,
- diseases caused by hormonal imbalance,
- decreased libido
- sexual dysfunction.
Instructions for use tincture of Chinese magnolia vine
The medicine tincture of lemongrass is an alcoholic extract from the fruits and seeds of a plant. The drug is available in dark 50 ml vials. Each package of medicine contains instructions for the use of tincture of lemongrass with a description of indications and contraindications, as well as indicating the recommended therapeutic doses.
Features of growing and harvesting Chinese magnolia vine
Bark, leaves, fruits, and seeds of a plant are commonly used to prepare drugs. You need to know when and how to collect this raw material so that the products obtained from them are useful for the body.
- Bark. It is collected exclusively in the spring. But the stems themselves need to be collected only at the moment when the lemongrass rocked to bear fruit.
- Leaves. August is considered the best time, at which time the leaves are blooming. It is at this stage that the preform will contain the maximum number of flavonoids. It is enough to spread the leaves under a canopy and stir from time to time until they dry out.
Interesting fact: The fruits of lemongrass have a special name, they are popularly known as "berries of five tastes." If you bite the fruit, then at first it will seem sour, then bitter with a tarry aroma. This will be followed by sweetness, which will be replaced by brackish notes and, finally, become fresh.
- Berries For this, a period of full ripening of fruits, which falls at the end of August and the beginning of September, is suitable. Experts say that products can be collected further, until the first frost. The fruits are sent for processing on the same day that they were harvested. The best option is drying, which is first carried out under a canopy for 3 days, and then until fully cooked in the oven at a temperature not exceeding 60 ° C.
- Seeds To isolate seeds, the fruits of the Far Eastern magnolia vine are first exposed to a hydraulic press. The mixture is mixed and slightly moistened, then covered with a cloth and sent for fermentation in a warm place. The fermented mass is spread on a sieve and washed under running water. The selected seeds are dried in the dryer first at a temperature of 40 ° C, then - 60-70 ° C.
Properly prepared Chinese lemongrass retains its beneficial properties for 2 years. Keep it better in glass containers, paper bags or canvas bags. The room should be warm and dry.
The composition of lemongrass Far Eastern and the properties of substances
Medicines prepared from individual parts of the Far Eastern schisandra have dozens of positive effects. This is due to the presence in their composition of very active chemical elements and compounds:
Actionteaser.ru - teaser advertisement
- Essential oils. Fight bacteria and inflammation. Accelerate wound healing and inhibit pain.
- Lignans.Combine the properties of fiber and antioxidants, reducing the likelihood of cancer in humans. They also lower blood cholesterol, normalize hormones and stimulate metabolism at all stages.
- Vitamin C. Strengthens the immune system, normalizes the course of oxidative processes, stimulates the synthesis of hormones by the adrenal glands.
- Vitamin E. A positive effect on the condition of the reproductive system, reduces the severity of manifestations during menopause in women. It prevents the formation of blood clots with increased blood density and accelerates wound healing.
- Mineral salts. They take part in blood formation, formation and restoration of body tissues. Regulate water and acid-base balances. The synthesis of hormones is started by the endocrine glands.
- Organic acids. Inhibit the activity of fungi and other pathogenic microorganisms. Relieve inflammation, stimulate blood formation, activate the body's defenses. They are also able to fight with toxins and facilitate the discharge of sputum in diseases of the respiratory tract.
- Fixed oils. These substances also endow products based on the Far Eastern magnolia vine with anti-inflammatory properties and the ability to accelerate recovery processes.
- Tannins. They have a special effect on proteins, changing their structure. This leads to the formation of a protective film, which does not allow microorganisms to have a negative effect on cells and tissues.
- Flavonoids. Powerful antioxidants, which are also known for their soothing and choleretic properties. They strengthen the walls of the capillaries, normalize blood pressure, and regulate heart rate.
- Pectins. Reduce the level of harmful cholesterol in the blood, activate metabolism. As a result, toxins and other harmful substances are more quickly eliminated from the body.
- Cellulose. One of the most effective substances in terms of improving bowel function. It stimulates the loss of excess weight in a natural way, normalizes blood flow in the pelvic organs. Thanks to her, taking medications based on the Far Eastern lemongrass allows you to get rid of problems in the genitourinary area.
This composition gives drugs prepared from Chinese magnolia vine, a lot of useful properties. True, it is better to ask the doctor what is better to use in a particular case. Tincture from the bark of the plant will be very different in principle from a decoction of its fruits. Particular attention should be paid when using products made at home.
From what age can lemongrass be given to children
Useful components in the berries of the plant will positively affect the children's body, but only with proper use. You can offer Chinese lemongrass for the first time after 12 years, until this time the properties of the product will harm health more likely.
In addition, the first dosages of berries in order to avoid harm should be very small - several fruits.
Is lemongrass possible during pregnancy and breastfeeding
The health benefits and harm of lemongrass are expressed in a fairly strong tonic effect. During pregnancy, this property of the berries becomes rather dangerous, and their use often provokes uterine contractions. For these reasons, it is better for women in the situation to refuse to use the product.
The same applies to lactation. The properties of substances in the composition of Chinese magnolia vine can harm the health of the baby.
With a breakdown, bad mood and irritability, lemongrass juice is beneficial. Make it extremely simple.
- The fruits of the plant must be thoroughly cleaned of flowers and twigs, washed and poured into an enameled container, and then rubbed properly.
- Separated juice is filtered in sterile jars and sterilized for 15 minutes, that is, heated to about 75 ° C for a couple.
The cooled juice is sealed and stored in the refrigerator.Usually it is consumed with tea, adding 1 teaspoon of the drink to the cup.
Harvesting Chinese Schisandra
There are two options for harvesting lemongrass:
- picking ripe fruits in the autumn,
- cutting of leaves and branches.
If the plant is grown to produce fruits, it is worth planting several vines next to them so that they are better pollinated. Berries are harvested after full ripening in late September and October, right up to the first frosts.
If the plant is used for cutting, it is necessary in the first half of August to prune the shoots that have grown over the year along with the leaves. They are dried and used for the preparation of medicinal charges. For information on how to grow this valuable medicinal crop on your site, read the article “The Fruit of Five Flavors” - Chinese Schisandra.
Raw material processing and use
Once the berries are picked, they must be thoroughly washed under running water, placed in containers and sprinkled with sugar. After 1-2 weeks, the juice will stand out, the berries will float on top of it. The resulting juice is poured into bottles that need to be stored in a cold place. It is 1 teaspoon added to drinks (juice, tea, compote).
Dried lemongrass berries can be used for winter fruit compotes
Berries can be dried in an oven at a temperature of no higher than 70º C for 3-4 days.
Alcohol tinctures (20 g of berries per 100 ml of 70% alcohol) are prepared in dark glass bottles for 10 days. The resulting infusion is filtered, the residues are squeezed out, another 20 ml of alcohol is added to the bottle, and another 10 days are allowed to infuse. Tincture is taken 20-25 drops before meals three times a day in courses of 20 days to increase efficiency and restore strength after stress.
Schisandra essential oil is obtained industrially. The main methods are extraction using solvent extractants), distillation (liquid evaporation), pressing. The finished essential oil is usually yellow or light green in color. Surprisingly, the oil that is produced from the seeds is not as pleasant in aroma as the oil obtained from the bark or leaves. The taste of the essential oil is bitter.
Vitamin C is present in schizandra berries, it has been found that 100 grams of lemongrass berries are enough to fill the daily need for vitamin C. Important! During heat treatment, vitamin C is destroyed, but ascorbic acid remains in the dried berries.
Dosage and conditions of administration
The basic rules for the use of the drug include an internal intake of 20-30 drops half an hour before a meal or 4 hours after a meal.
As a tonic, tincture is taken, starting with 15 drops, slightly diluted with water. As treatment progresses, the single dose is gradually increased to 40 drops.
To treat hyperopia, tincture of lemongrass is taken 20 drops twice in the afternoon. Three weeks later, take a break for 10 days. Then the course is repeated again.
From vomiting, nausea, and as a choleretic agent, it is recommended to take 30 drops of tincture three times a day.
With weakening of the body, nervous exhaustion and overwork, 30 drops of the drug are taken before each meal. If necessary, a single dose may be increased to 45 drops.
For joint diseases and rheumatism, it is recommended to rub a small amount of tincture of lemongrass into sore spots. On average, the duration of the treatment course is 25 days. After a two-week break, therapy is allowed to repeat.
The fruits of lemongrass are used to prepare a healthy decoction. It is necessary:
- add 1 large spoonful of fresh or dried berries to the pan,
- pour water and then boil for several minutes,
- remove from the stove and insist under the lid for a couple more hours.
The cooled broth is filtered, if desired, add natural honey or sugar to it and drink up to 1 large spoon every day.The properties of the broth help well with increasing blood sugar, cope with digestive disorders and malfunctions of the nervous system.
Schisandra is a beautiful deciduous vine with a dark brown trunk and large oval leaves.
The trunk of the plant is very strong, thin - does not exceed 3 cm in diameter, the perennial part is covered with dark rough bark, annual shoots are light yellow and smooth. A long liana (up to 15 m) encircles trees and artificial supports in a spiral.
Large elliptical leaves are dark green and smooth on the front side, paler and covered with a weak fluff from the inside. They are attached to the shoots with the help of pinkish-red petioles 2-3 cm long, turn yellow and fall in the fall.
An inflorescence of 3-5 buds is located in the axils of the leaves of one-year shoots. It blooms for 1.5–2 weeks in mid-June with small (1.5 cm in diameter) white flowers acquiring a pinkish tint towards the end of flowering.
Schisandra belongs to monoecious plants - on one specimen there are dioecious flowers. There are no stamens in the female type flowers, this is their main difference from the male ones. The sex ratio on one vine depends on weather conditions.
The fruit, multi-berry, is formed from a female flower. The shape resembles a bunch of small berries of irregularly-rounded shape weighing 0.5-0.7 g. The length of the petiole is up to 5 cm, the berries in the brush are up to 20 pieces, the average weight is 5-7 g.
The berry contains 1-2 yellow-brown kidney-shaped seeds. Seeds are easily separated from the pulp. 1000 seeds weigh 17–20 g.
Reddening of berries begins in the second half of August; full ripening occurs in September. The taste of berry juice is sour with the aroma of lemon, the skin is dense with a bitter taste. Seeds make a sharp pepper note in the gamut.
The taste of berries Professor A.P. Nechaev described as bitter-sour-sweet-tart-salty. The Chinese name for lemongrass "W-wei-tzu" is translated as "the fruit of five tastes." The brushes hold tightly on the shoots until winter.
The species abundance of the schizander family is not precisely determined and, according to various sources, combines from 14 to 25 species. Habitat - Asian countries: Vietnam, China, Korea, India, Burma, Japan.
In Russia, there is one representative of this family - Schisandra chinensis or Far East. Before the ice age (1.8 million years ago), this relict liana was widespread in the middle latitudes of the Northern Hemisphere. Currently, it is an endemic species of taiga forests of the Primorsky Territory and Amur Region. It grows on the banks of rivers and slopes of hills, preferring cedar-broad-leaved forests of the Manchurian type with well-drained soil.
In addition to the fact that all parts of this plant have a powerful healing effect, the liana is very beautiful in any season. Even in winter, brushes of bright scarlet berries look spectacular against the backdrop of snow. Therefore, it is strange that domestic breeders drew attention to this taiga miracle only in the early 80s. The first variety “Firstborn” was included in the State Register of Breeding Achievements in 1999.
Now there are 4 such varieties:
The biggest fruits are Debut. The berries in this variety have the highest concentration of sugar (4.3%) and vitamin C (9.7%). Productivity record holders - Myth and Volgar.
All 4 varieties grow well in the middle lane.
Nutritional value and calorie lemongrass
100 grams of lemongrass berries contain:
- Calories - 11 kcal (approximately 0.77% of the daily norm)
- Protein - 1 gram (1.22%)
- Fats - 0 grams (0%)
- Carbohydrates - 1.9 grams (1.48%)
- Dietary fiber - 0 grams (0%)
- Water - 0 g (0%)
Health benefits of the Far Eastern lemongrass
There may be many indications for the introduction of products from the Far Eastern lemongrass into the regime. The maximum therapeutic effect of the product usually takes the following form:
- The work of the central nervous system is stimulated. It is noteworthy that the desired result is achieved by strengthening the system, and not its depletion, as is the case with most chemicals.
- The functionality of the heart, blood vessels, respiratory organs increases.
- The body becomes more resistant to forced oxygen starvation.
- The body's immune defense is activated at all levels and in all possible manifestations.
- The mental and physical potential of a person increases, regardless of his age and condition.
- Appetite improves, metabolism normalizes. Due to the launch of tissue cleaning, weight loss begins, which was gained due to improper nutrition or a deficiency of necessary elements.
- Sexual function improves, sexual activity increases, both in women and in men.
- The body is rejuvenated, the general condition is normalized.
- Stress is relieved, the body adapts more easily to changes in weather or climatic conditions.
- Elevated blood sugar is reduced. Low blood pressure reaches a normal level.
In some cases, experts recommend the use of products based on parts of the Far Eastern magnolia vine to stimulate labor. Products do a good job with hangover, insomnia and a number of other unpleasant manifestations.
The benefits and harms of lemongrass berries are manifested in a healing infusion. To create it, you need to pour 1 large spoon of berries with a liter of boiling water, close the container with a lid and insist the medicine for 10 hours.
Drink infusion daily in small quantities, not more than 1 large spoon. The healing properties of lemongrass show themselves with weakened immunity and loss of strength, with a lack of vitamins and anemia.
Composition and calorie content
The bulk of fresh lemongrass berries is water - 85%. The remaining 15% dry matter includes:
- 27-30% of organic acids (citric, malic, tartaric and succinic)
- 20% sugar
- 4% pectin
- 1% tannins
- 0.8% of substances with P-vitamin activity,
- 0.25% ascorbic acid (vitamin C).
1.15% ash containing macro- and microelements:
Schisandra seeds contain:
- 30–34% of unsaturated omega fatty acids (mainly oleic and linoleic),
- 2% essential oil,
- 0.12% lignans (phytohormones),
- 0.03% vitamin E,
- ash - the same micro and macro elements as in berries.
The stimulating, exciting and tonic effect of the phytohormone contained in lemongrass seeds was discovered by the Soviet scientist D.A. Balandin. He gave him the name "schizandrin" - from the Latin name for this creeper Schisandra chinensis - schisandra or schisandra.
The bark is rich in essential oils with a delicate spicy-lemon aroma, for which perfumers so value it.
The total calorie content of 100 g of lemongrass berries is 11.6 kcal. The daily dose of berries necessary to meet the adult's need for vitamin C is 50 g, i.e. 5.8 kcal or 0.5% of the daily norm.
What are the healing properties of lemongrass
This plant is used for the treatment and prevention of many pathologies. The stimulator of the nervous system (schizandrin) contained in it is considered to be especially valuable. It stimulates the production of ATP from glucose and oxygen by cells, helps to recover faster after stresses - emotional and physical, improves recovery after infections, injuries and surgeries. Schisandra chinensis is used during periods of active mental stress, when attention and concentration are needed, and in order to improve memory. Unlike many drugs, lemongrass does not form the subsequent depletion of overloaded nerve cells.
Citric and malic acids, tannins, pectins and vitamin P are not less useful. In addition, lemongrass berries have a lot of vitamin E and C, as well as saponins, which reduce the level of “bad” cholesterol. Fruits, branches, and leaves contain an essential oil that gives them a lemon scent and is beneficial to the immune system.
Tinctures, decoctions and extracts of Schisandra chinensis are used to normalize blood pressure and blood sugar, relax blood vessels, and increase visual acuity. Also, the plant is indicated in the treatment of neurosis, depression and asthenia.
Schizandra decoction helps with depression
Schizandra has a rather pronounced effect in increasing male potency, which is why extracts are often added to drugs for the treatment of erectile dysfunction.
Preparation and use of medicines from Schisandra
The rules for taking medications based on the Far Eastern lemongrass depend on the type of product and what part of the plant it was prepared from. Pharmacy forms of products are accompanied by detailed instructions, subject to which the finished product will show itself on the right side. Here are the main options for using natural medicinal formulations:
- A decoction of berries. Take a teaspoon of crushed dried berries in a glass of boiling water. The mixture is put in a water bath and kept for 15 minutes. Filter the finished composition, cool and take 25 drops 3 times a day on an empty stomach.
- Infusion of berries. Take a teaspoon of crushed dried berries in a glass of boiling water. In this case, just mix the ingredients and insist the mass under the lid for 6 hours. Take 1 dessert spoon in the morning before breakfast and in the afternoon before dinner.
- Tincture of seeds and fruits. It’s best not to cook it yourself, but to take a pharmacy product. Take it 25-30 drops up to 3 times a day, 30 minutes before meals. The therapeutic course is 3 weeks.
- Tea made from fruits. Pour a teaspoon of dried fruit with a glass of boiling water and boil for 24 hours. After this, the mass is infused for a day, filtered and drunk during the day.
- Extract. Another alcohol-based pharmacy product. It is taken 2 times a day in the amount of 25 drops.
In the pharmacy you can find syrup and tablets from the Far Eastern lemongrass. With independent harvesting, gardeners prepare concentrated juice from the fruits of the plant. The leaves and bark of the product are also brewed in a variety of ways for therapeutic and prophylactic purposes.
Tincture of seeds and fruits of lemongrass
A useful alcoholic tincture is prepared from a medicinal plant, most often it uses the seeds of magnolia vine and its fruits. The recipe from the seeds is as follows:
- 2 teaspoons of the seeds of a plant are poured into a small glass vessel,
- pour raw materials with vodka or pure alcohol,
- tightly plug the vessel with a stopper and clean in a dark place for 2 weeks.
The container with tincture should be shaken daily for a better distribution of nutrients. When the medicine is completely ready, it will need to be drained. The tincture of berries is prepared in the same way.
You should take the medicine with excessive physical and emotional overload, with depression and loss of strength. The benefits and harms of tincture of lemongrass seeds depend on the dosage, they drink it only 20-30 drops before meals, no more than three times a day. In this case, the general course of treatment should not exceed 25 days, otherwise the home remedy will bring harm.
Useful and healing properties
Schizandra is, first of all, a plant that helps fight with a breakdown, loss of working capacity, lemongrass positively affects the nervous system, strengthens the heart muscle. Schizandra has antimicrobial, antioxidant, antifungal and antitumor effects.
In lemongrass, medicinal properties are very pronounced - it improves vision, speeds up metabolism, is used for diseases such as impotence, depression, hypotension, it is used for anemia, and diseases of the respiratory system, kidneys and liver. Externally, ointment and tinctures from Schisandra are used for dermatological diseases.
Important! After a week of using lemongrass, sleep and performance improve, irritability and lack of Assembly go away.
Contraindications for admission
Schisandra forbidden to use "for hypertensive crises"? And if not a crisis, then you can ?? Here the hypertensive crisis just happens ...
Schisandra and preparations based on it are contraindicated in:
- hypertension (at any stage!),
- cardiac abnormalities (any!),
- increased intracranial pressure,
- increased nervous excitability,
- peptic ulcer of the stomach and duodenum,
- chronic liver diseases,
- pregnancy and lactation,
- children under 12 years old.
In addition, it should be understood that the spectrum of the active substances contained in Schisandra on the body is very wide, and the reaction to it is purely individual. As possible side effects of the use of lemongrass in HEALTHY people, the following are noted:
- sleep disturbances,
- increase in blood pressure,
- allergic reactions.
Schisandra - a great stimulant and immunomodulator, it is a very useful plant, but potent, you need to start taking it very, very carefully, preferably after a preliminary consultation with a specialist.
Further. This plant has really beneficial properties: everything - leaves, shoots, fresh berries. But in fact, the maximum concentration of nutrients is in the seeds of schisandra. When we dry the berries, there remains, in general, a seed covered with skin. And when we prepare the juice, these very seeds are safely separated from the pulp. From the article it is absolutely impossible to understand what to do with them - this nuance remained “behind the scenes”.
By the way, the juice prepared according to the proposed recipe will safely ferment. It is possible, still in the process of preparation.
Alena, I’ve just been familiar with lemongrass for about 30 years and I know for sure that the reaction to it can vary from “absolutely nothing” to “ate a berry - and the pressure ka-aa-ak will drop!”
You, as a doctor, I’m sure you understand very well that the body can react very differently to the same remedy. Even the same organism - at different times or in different conditions.
But the ban on the use of lemongrass for hypertension, in my opinion, is prescribed always and everywhere - in any case, I have not come across sources wherever this was mentioned. This is partly reinsurance, yes - due to those very individual reactions. And it is likely that a teaspoon of lemongrass juice will not lead to an increase in blood pressure. And perhaps it will. This is not a decision that can be made without all the information about the state of health of a particular organism, so an excessive warning is obviously better than an insufficient one.
In addition, it should be understood and taken into account that different parts of the plant differ markedly in terms of their effect on the body. I repeat: the active substance reaches its maximum concentration in the seeds. Tea from leaves or a drink with the addition of a small dose of lemongrass juice (syrup) will obviously have a weaker effect on the cardiovascular system (although some recipes of traditional medicine use leaves or shoots rather than berries or seeds). But this should also be specifically noted.
In fact: I have been hypotonic with experience, and for about 42-45 years, lemongrass didn’t act in any way in terms of pressure. Tones up - yes, but only. And the acquaintance (we were not even 30 then) from 2-3 berries, the pressure jumped up - almost to the ambulance.
As for the seeds - everything is simple. Separated from the pulp, they are well dried and stored in closed containers. If necessary, you can simply chew the right amount of seeds (the reaction appears in 15-30 minutes) or grind them into powder, you can prepare tincture on the seeds. In view of the foregoing, those who have not previously used lemongrass, it is not recommended to conduct experiments on themselves and check the endurance of their body, using these seeds with spoons.
Contraindications to the use of Chinese magnolia vine
Far Eastern lemongrass, like any product of increased activity, has contraindications for use. The absolute include:
- Hypertonic disease.
- History of epilepsy.
- Some disturbances in the work of the heart.
- Sleep disorders of a pathological nature.
- Increased intracranial pressure.
- Pregnancy (an exception is only cases when taking a medicine is recommended by a doctor for some reason).
- The period of breastfeeding.
- Vegetovascular dystonia.
In general, before starting a treatment or prophylactic course, you need to get the doctor’s approval for taking Far Eastern magnolia vine. In the course of the use of funds, it is necessary to monitor your condition. If side effects occur, you should discard the product and seek help from a specialist.
Tea from berries and leaves of lemongrass
Aromatic and healthy tea is often prepared on the basis of Chinese lemongrass, and recipes use not only fruits, but also the benefits of lemongrass leaves.
- A teaspoon of finely chopped dry leaves should be poured with a glass of boiling water.
- Infuse tea for about 10 minutes, then add honey or sugar to it if desired.
- Drink the same way as a regular tea drink.
Instead of leaves, you can use the berries of the plant - all parts of the Chinese magnolia vine positively affect health. The benefits and harms of lemongrass tea are determined by the amount of drink - a maximum of a couple cups is recommended per day. The properties of the healing drink tone well, serve as the prevention of colds. The benefits of Chinese schisandra leaves are expressed in the fact that the drink disinfects the oral cavity and reduces the risk of tooth decay.
Possible harm and contraindications
Attention! Schizandra is a potent drug, therefore, its use in both preventive and therapeutic purposes is possible only under the supervision of a specialist!
It is forbidden to use lemongrass with high blood pressure, with any disorders of the central nervous system, with peptic ulcer, with acute course of heart disease. Lemongrass is not recommended during child bearing and those who suffer from insomnia, as well as children.
Schisandra was held in high esteem by Chinese healers. According to its healing properties, miracle creeper was put in second place immediately after ginseng. Schizandra received such recognition due to the high content of vitamins and minerals in all parts of the plant.
- The main character and warrior with ailments and a bad mood is schizandrin. This phytohormone enhances the processes of excitation in the central nervous system, aggravates reflexes, tones up and helps to cope with increased loads, both physical and psychoemotional.
- Schizandrin increases the excitability of the central nervous system and stimulates the work of the heart and respiratory apparatus. It is a natural stimulant with a powerful adaptogenic effect.
- Reception of tincture of berries or just chewing leaflets of a Far Eastern creeper allows you to adapt (adapt) to physical, mental and psychological stress during an exam, competition or a hard night shift.
- Vision is sharpened, including night vision - this quality was especially appreciated by hunters. During the Great Patriotic War, lemongrass berries were included in the mandatory diet of pilots.
- Preparations of Chinese magnolia vine are prescribed for asthenic syndrome, during the recovery period after severe infectious diseases, with vegetovascular dystonia.
- Schizandrin and schizandrol also exhibit hepatoprotective activity, i.e. they protect the liver from the effects of adverse factors and dietary disorders.
- Schisandra is indicated for sexual dysfunction, which developed against the background of neurasthenia.
- A decoction of fruits is used to lower blood sugar.
- 2 g of seed powder, taken even once, normalize the composition of the gastric juice - reduce high and increase low acidity.
Berries of Schisandra: benefits and harms, how to cook, contraindications
People appreciate lemongrass for its special healing properties, eliminating many ailments. Beneficial substances are found in fruits, and in stems, and in leaves of lemongrass.
But in traditional medicine, the use of berries is more practiced.There is a simple explanation for this - in the fruits of magnolia vine the highest concentration of nutrients is noted, they are easier to collect and store for storage.
It is important to understand what the benefits and harms of lemongrass berries are for humans.
Schisandra chinensis (schizandra) is a wild-growing woody vine with fiery red bunches of berries growing in the territory of Primorye, the Khabarovsk Territory, in China and in the south of Sakhalin. Currently, cultivated varieties of this plant have been developed, which allowed it to spread almost throughout the territory of Russia.
For lovers of sweet-tasting medicinal preparations, home medicine offers a tasty and healthy medicine - syrup from Chinese magnolia vine berries. Make it like this:
- the berries are thoroughly washed, wrapped in tightly folded cheesecloth and squeezed juice,
- the liquid is poured into a saucepan, and then covered with sugar, with 1.5 kg of granulated sugar per 1 liter of juice,
- the mixture is heated until the sugar is completely dissolved, and then removed from the stove and poured into a glass vessel.
The cooled syrup is taken 1 large spoon three times a day, with food or immediately after it. The syrup is especially indicated for use with reduced pressure and poisoning, with drowsiness and decreased libido, with infections. In total, you need to use the drug for a month, after which they take a break.
What are useful berries of lemongrass
The special qualities of lemongrass have long been confirmed by the long-standing practice of ordinary people and the research of scientists. Its vitamins, mineral salts, tannins and tonic substances, essential oils, sugars and other useful trace elements can have a positive effect on the human body. Schisandra fruits have medicinal properties.
Valuable qualities of lemongrass berries are as follows:
- produce a tonic effect, improve working capacity, increase the stamina of the body, add strength,
- are a powerful power engineer,
- activate the nervous system,
- increase your mood
- remove depression
- strengthen the protective functions of the body,
- help cope with colds
- contribute to the adaptation of the body in critical conditions,
- useful for prolonged mental and physical exertion, with a sharp change in climate,
- improve the quality of blood
- have a positive effect on the entire cardiovascular system,
- increase blood pressure
- lower blood sugar
- increase visual acuity, improve the eyes,
- improve the functioning of internal organs and the gastrointestinal tract,
- normalize metabolism
- relieve hangover
- normalize sleep.
Berries of lemongrass provide benefits for the human body, but they are recommended to be used with caution, only for medicinal purposes. You can fully experience the healing effect of the fruit only with regular use in small courses.
Some medicines based on Chinese magnolia vine can be purchased at the pharmacy. This list includes not only tinctures and syrups, the product is also sold in tablet form.
Tablets of Chinese magnolia vine are very convenient for use - when consumed, it is easy to choose a dosage, they can be taken with you on the go without unnecessary difficulties. A useful medicine will be with a tendency to heart disease and with weak immunity, tablets are used to strengthen blood vessels, slow down aging and for the general tone of the body.
Before using a pharmacy, it is recommended that you carefully study the instructions. But the usual dosage of the drug is 2 tablets per day - in the morning and in the evening with food. Just take a course of firming tablets you need 1 month.
Schisandra seed oil
Another drug that you can buy at the pharmacy is a healthy oil, prepared based on the seeds of a Chinese plant.It is realized in the form of capsules intended for use twice or thrice a day immediately after a meal.
The properties of the oil in medicinal capsules effectively increase tone and performance, relieve inflammation and help with digestive upsets. A useful tool accelerates the healing processes of wounds and abrasions, strengthens the body's defense systems. In particular, healthy oil is recommended for use for those whose work involves overheating or hypothermia, radiation exposure or lack of oxygen.
Amazing plant composition
In China, from ancient times, they knew about the Far Eastern lemongrass, the properties of the plant have always been used by the indigenous inhabitants, it has an effective tonic and refreshing effect. In Russia they found out about him much later.
The fruits of the Far Eastern lemongrass contain special substances - lignans, which have a wide range of biological activity. According to scientists, it is precisely due to these components that the therapeutic effect of the plant is achieved, which has an antitumor, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, atioxidant, tonic effect. Far Eastern schisandra (photos are in the article) is called an adaptogen, due to the stimulating effect of lignans on the central nervous system. Adaptogens are amazing natural substances that contribute to increasing the body's stability in difficult conditions, such as sudden changes in climate, intense physical and mental stress, oxygen starvation and other extreme situations. Such substances are not related to medicines and are not intended for the treatment of diseases in medical practice, but advocates of alternative medicine have been using adaptogens for tens of thousands of years. With regular use, such substances are so able to strengthen the immune system that the body defeats even the most severe ailments, so the Far Eastern magnolia vine, along with ginseng, aralia, eleutherococcus, can be attributed to plants of healthy people
Far Eastern schisandra (berries) contains a lot of organic acids (citric, malic, tartaric), vitamins E, C, sugars and pectins, anthocyanins that have a powerful antioxidant effect, tanides (tannins), flavanoids (catechins). All parts of the plant contain essential oil, fatty oils rich in unsaturated fatty acids are present in the seeds. The mineral composition of Chinese magnolia vine is also extremely rich, although almost all macro- and microelements are present in small quantities - calcium, potassium, iron, zinc, manganese, copper, molybdenum, cobalt, aluminum, chromium, selenium, barium, iodine, strontium, nickel other.
No glucosides and alkoloids, which are poisonous substances, were found in Chinese magnolia berries.
The use of lemongrass-based drugs during pregnancy should be treated very carefully:
- carefully examine the list of contraindications in this article,
- be sure to get a consultation with a gynecologist,
- take the drug only after approval by the supervising doctor.
In the absence of contraindications, you can take lemongrass syrup. It alleviates the symptoms of toxicosis, raises the pressure during vegetative-vascular dystonia and in asthenia after pathological birth and abdominal operations.
What are the fruits of harmful
Schisandra berries have the ability to activate many vital functions in the body. In some cases, this quality of a medicinal plant can lead to side effects, and sometimes even cause severe harm to human health. Usually this result occurs due to illiterate dosage. Oversaturation with fruits of lemongrass can lead to the following conditions:
- nervous irritability, insomnia, depression,
- disruption of the digestive system, heartburn,
- a strong increase in blood pressure.
These symptoms quickly disappear if you reduce the consumed number of fruits or completely stop taking them.
Treatment with Chinese magnolia vine is carried out using a powder. To prepare such a tool, you must:
- pour water and for several hours to insist the berries of a Chinese plant,
- separate the pulp and extract the seeds,
- completely dry them in the oven and grind into fine powder.
Take this tool literally by a pinch, in an amount of 0.5-1 g twice a day. The powder is useful in the treatment of liver ailments, in case of loss of strength and in gastritis with high acidity.
Taking any lemongrass preparations during breastfeeding is not advisable, so as not to provoke an allergy in the newborn.
You can use lemongrass berries syrup as a prophylactic during flu outbreaks. But in this case, it is important to closely monitor the skin condition of the child and his behavior.
Contraindications to the use of magnolia vine fruits
Despite the large number of beneficial properties in Schisandra berries, there are also contraindications to their use:
- berry allergy
- pregnancy and lactation
- children under 12 years old,
- pathological diseases of internal organs.
In order not to cause serious harm to health, a consultation with a doctor is necessary before taking lemongrass fruits. The doctor will help identify possible restrictions on the use of the fruits of the medicinal plant, as well as adjust the dosage.
Tincture of fruits and seeds of Schisandra
Tincture of fruits and seeds of lemongrass is also used as an additional source of vitamins and as a tonic. It’s not difficult to prepare the tincture: the berries are pounded in a wooden container, add hot water, put on fire. After boiling, the tincture cools, squeezed out and filtered.
There are still options for preparing tinctures: pour berries with freshly boiled water, insist for about 5-6 hours. You can also prepare an infusion of seeds - you need to put them in a thermos, add boiling water and let it brew for 20-30 minutes. It is important to drink this infusion in small portions, a couple of times a day 15-20 minutes before eating.
Pediatricians do not recommend the use of lemongrass for the treatment and prevention of diseases in children under 12 years of age.
After reaching this age and in the absence of contraindications, children can introduce jam or syrup from the berries of lemongrass into the diet:
- For the prevention of viral diseases. The probability of picking up the flu will decrease by 4 times.
- Treatment of dysentery.
- Smoothing out stress and toning during exams or sporting events.
When to pick lemongrass berries
Schisandra is well cultivated in summer cottages. In favorable conditions, about 3 kg of fruits can be collected from one bush. The berries ripen gradually, from September to October, so it is impossible to collect the entire crop at the same time. But all the fruits must be removed before the first frost.
Fully ripened magnolia vine fruits are very tender, they are easily damaged by touch. To avoid this, the berries are not picked separately, but the brushes are completely cut off.
The collection must be carried out carefully so as not to damage the vines. Since broken and damaged branches lose their ability to bear fruit, it is better to take scissors to cut berry brushes.
Important! It is not recommended to pick lemongrass berries in a galvanized metal container to avoid oxidation. For these purposes, wicker baskets, plastic boxes or enameled buckets are better suited. If possible, after cutting the brush with berries, it is better to put it on a spread tarpaulin or burlap.
Harvesting fruits from wild lemongrass is not always safe. It should be produced only in an ecologically clean area, away from exhaust gases and factory emissions.
Herbal tea is prepared from the leaves of lemongrass, its stems or berries.To improve the taste of this tea, honey and ginger and other ingredients are added to it.
Important - Do not drink tea in large quantities! 1-2 cups of tea are allowed per day.
Schisandra for facial skin
The most famous plant-based product is a cleansing lotion. For preparation, 2 large tablespoons of berries are poured with vodka and kept for a week in a cool and shaded place. Then the product is filtered and 1 large spoon of glycerin is added to it.
So that the lotion does not cause harm, it is diluted with clean water in a ratio of 1 to 3, and then daily wipe the face and neck. The tool helps to normalize the oily skin and get rid of acne.
How to Dry Schisandra Berries
After harvesting the berries must be processed during the first day to prevent their rot. Fresh fruits of lemongrass do not store fresh for a long time, they quickly disappear. A simple and effective method of preserving useful qualities is drying.
When losing weight
Reasons for gaining excess weight:
- lethargy and apathy, leading to a sedentary lifestyle,
- craving for high-calorie and sweet foods,
- metabolic failure.
Lignans (schizandrin and schizandrol), which are part of lemongrass seeds, transfer the body to a different mode of operation, providing stimulating and tonic effects. As a result of the action of these phytohormones, normalization of metabolism and metabolism occurs, a person feels alert and active.
Preparations based on lemongrass can be prepared by yourself or purchased at a pharmacy. The ability of lemongrass to accelerate metabolic processes does not depend on the form of the drug, so choose based on your preferences: seeds, berries, tablets, syrup, vine.
Take at breakfast and lunch in the following doses:
- fresh or dried berries - 5-6 pieces,
- alcohol tincture - 25-30 drops,
- berry juice or a decoction of bark - 1 tsp
Observe the dosage to avoid health troubles - headache, allergic rashes, high blood pressure and insomnia.
Do not use lemongrass in the afternoon because of its tonic effect.
The extract is made from the fruits of the plant. Schizandra extract is an oily viscous liquid, the product is yellow in color and has a lemon smell. Lemongrass extract is a tonic, antitumor, antifungal agent.
Cut brushes are neatly laid out in the shade, without direct sunlight for 2-3 days, slightly dried. You can suspend fruit clusters separately for the same period for the drying process.
Then the berries are separated from the stalks, tearing off the brushes. After that, they are dried in an electric fruit dryer or oven. The temperature regime should correspond to 50-60 ° C.
Periodically, the berries must be stirred, not allowing them to stick together. The drying process in such conditions lasts about 7 hours.
The dried fruits of lemongrass acquire a reddish-brown hue (as in the photo), have a subtle specific smell and a sour-bitter spicy taste.
For hair care use the beneficial properties of lemongrass leaves. Fresh leaves, twigs and fruits in the amount of 1 large spoon are properly chopped, put in a thermos, poured with boiling water and insisted for 3 hours.
Then the useful product is cooled and filtered, so that after each washing of the head, rinse the hair with a healing infusion. With regular use of the infusion, the curls strengthen and stop falling out.
Useful properties of lemongrass leaves
The vegetative parts of creepers (leaves, stems, and bark) contain fewer tonic substances than fruits, and therefore are softer on the body.
It is very useful to chew fresh green leaves of lemongrass. 1-2 leaves will be enough to feel a surge of strength.
Dried leaves can be used to brew vitamin and tonic tea. Schisandra leaves can be used alone or as part of a medicinal collection.The benefits of leaf tea are described earlier in this article.
Information on how to properly collect and dry leaves will be given below in the chapters "When to Collect and How to Store Schisandra" and "How to Dry Schisandra."
Chinese Schisandra in cooking
Mostly treated with Chinese magnolia vine at home, however, this plant is often used in cooking.
- The juice of the berries of the plant is added to fruit wines to give them an unusual taste and aroma.
- On the basis of fresh juice and berries, compotes and syrups, fruit drinks and jelly are prepared.
- The pulp is often found in candy fillings, from it make sweet jams and preserves.
- Chinese magnolia vine is found in marmalades, in a baking filling, in dairy and curd desserts.
The benefits and harms of jam from Schisandra berries are almost the same as for medicinal products based on plants. Eating delicious desserts is recommended to strengthen immunity and increase the overall tone of the body.
The use of tincture of lemongrass
Tincture of lemongrass from fresh and dried berries relieves fatigue, invigorates, whets the appetite and puts the immune system on alert. It is used to prevent acute respiratory viral infections, increase tone and treat nervous exhaustion.
Below are 2 recipes for preparing tinctures:
- From fresh berries. Pour the berries with 70% alcohol in a weight ratio of 3: 1. Put in a dark place for a day. Before use, dilute 20 drops of tincture in 50 ml of water. Take three times a day half an hour before meals, but no later than 6 hours before bedtime.
- "Strong." Crush 20 g of berries in a porcelain or ceramic mortar. Do not use metal utensils. Place the berry gruel in a container of dark glass and pour 100 ml of 70% alcohol. Insist by shaking occasionally. After 10 days, squeeze through cheesecloth. After 2 days, tincture can be consumed in the morning on an empty stomach in 30 drops for 3 weeks.
Bones in large quantities contain useful substances. Immediately before drying the seeds, the whole juice is squeezed out of the berries. It can be preserved and stored.
Seeds are separated from the skin and the remains of the pulp, washing under running water. Then the clean seeds are laid out on a cloth or paper, left to dry at room temperature. To speed up the process, the seeds are placed in an oven or electric dryer for several hours. The temperature is kept in the region of 60-70 ° C, stirring regularly.
The benefits of lemongrass juice
Juice of lemongrass berries is used in cooking to give a citrus aroma, astringent taste and tonic effect to drinks and syrups. Add it to the filling for sweets, and jelly, and jam. In winemaking, it is used for blending wines.
Juice is useful for gastritis with low acidity. 1 tbsp a day taken before breakfast and lunch will help to cope with this problem.
Juice is made from freshly picked berries. Keep the berries in the refrigerator for a day to soften. Then squeeze the juice using a press, making sure that the crushed seeds do not fall into the juice, as they will give it a gummy flavor. Dissolve sugar in the resulting juice in a ratio of 1: 2, pour into a container of dark glass. Store this juice in a cool place for 2.5–3 years.
To strengthen the immune system, it is recommended to drink juice diluted twice with mineral or ordinary water.
The harm of Chinese magnolia vine and side effects
Despite the benefits of lemongrass herb, the valuable properties of the plant can be harmful. With excessive use of medicines or desserts, side effects develop:
- tachycardia and headache,
- hypertension and insomnia,
- increased gastric secretion.
Also, against the background of an overdose of a Chinese plant, an allergic rash may occur.
What is useful lemongrass syrup
Processing berries in the preparation of syrup does not reduce the beneficial properties inherent in this plant.
- Syrup is recommended for use in case of loss of strength, headaches, upset stomach.
- Phosphorus, which is part of berries and seeds of schisandra, sharpens vision, including night.
- The syrup is indicated for use by people with vegetovascular dystonia and asthenic syndrome, as it is able to raise pressure.
- For colds, syrup is used as an expectorant, which improves sputum discharge.
- Syrup is taken as a restorative, adding to various drinks.
- It helps to cope with a hangover syndrome due to its tonic and mild analgesic effect.
- In case of an infectious disease of the kidneys, the antimicrobial property of the syrup helps to eliminate the focus of inflammation and quick recovery.
- Syrup is also indispensable in the diet of people who monitor their weight.
How many berries of lemongrass can be eaten per day
Berries of lemongrass have a rather unusual taste, or rather a combination of tastes - from sour-sweet to bitter-salty (peels, flesh and seeds have a different flavor).
For preventive purposes, the fruit is recommended to be consumed fresh. In order not to harm health, it is enough to eat 2-6 pieces daily.
This amount is enough to add vigor to the body, bypass pathology, remove depression and nervous disorders.
Contraindications to the use of lemongrass
In some conditions, drinking drinks and sweet foods with a Chinese plant is strictly prohibited, regardless of dosage. Contraindications to the reception are:
- severe heart ailments and liver pathologies,
- frequent migraines and hypertension,
- increased nervous irritability and sleep disturbances,
- epilepsy and acute infectious diseases.
Chinese magnolia vine can cause an individual allergy, so when you first get acquainted with the plant, you need to use it in minimum dosages.
Is lemongrass tea useful
Tea from leaves and schisandra bark has long been used against scurvy. The drink tastes good and has a refined aroma.
In ancient China, tea from lemongrass was drunk mainly by men, since they believed that it gives them special strength and endurance.
Schizandra tea is useful as part of a comprehensive treatment of the following diseases:
- depressive conditions
- hormonal imbalance,
- bronchitis and pneumonia,
- chronic liver and kidney diseases,
- stomach upset,
- vision problems
- excess weight.
When and how to pick lemongrass fruits
The berries of a Chinese plant ripen in large quantities in September, at which time it is necessary to collect raw materials for harvesting. On one brush usually contains at least 20 healthy berries, or even more, so you can pick them up in large enough volumes.
Only full-ripened, red fruits need to be removed from the branches, you can return to the unripe ones a little later, when they gain ripeness. Ideal weather for the collection is the first half of a dry and sunny day. It is very important to choose an ecologically clean area for harvesting fruits - the properties of berries that have managed to absorb chemical waste will not bring health benefits, but only harm.
How to cook lemongrass berries
Schisandra berries are often used in cooking. At the same time, their medicinal properties do not disappear, and cooked dishes add vitality and improve the health of the body.
In industrial production, lemongrass berries are added to some varieties of sweets. Schizandra fruits and seeds are included in teas and tinctures. Compotes and preserves are boiled.
There are many recipes based on lemongrass berries.
Schisandra oil: properties and applications
Essential oil is found in different proportions in all parts of the vine. Most of it is in the bark and seeds.
At home, it is impossible to get lemongrass ether, it is produced on an industrial scale by extraction and pressing methods. Ready-made oil can be purchased at pharmacies. Release form - bottles and soluble capsules.
Schisandra essential oils are widely used in cosmetology and are part of tonic creams for aging skin care.They struggle with age spots and narrow pores.
Essential oil is used in the treatment of fungal skin diseases, depriving and scabies. It is effective in pediculosis, eliminates discomfort and swelling after an insect bite.
Schisandra oil in capsules is used as an adaptogenic and restorative remedy for vitamin deficiency, exposure to extreme conditions and chronic fatigue. The use of oil increases efficiency by 4 times.
Schisandra oil in capsules is also indicated for use by schoolchildren and students during exams in order to cope with the psycho-emotional load and help to absorb a large amount of information.
It is used by athletes, because it, not being a dope, has a powerful tonic effect and mobilizes all the body's resources to achieve the goal.
Oil is taken in autumn and spring with two courses of 10 days and a 20-day break between them. With a significant loss of strength and depressive mood, the simultaneous adoption of 3-4 capsules is acceptable.
In order to make sure that you do not have contraindications for taking schisandra oil, you must first consult your doctor.
How to brew lemongrass berries
A decoction of lemongrass fruits is the easiest way to get the benefits of the plant. Such a drink is able to have a restorative and tonic effect.
- 1 tablespoon of dried fruit
- 200 ml of water.
- Boil the berries for 10 minutes in an enameled bowl.
- Insist day in a cool place, then strain.
- Add sugar if desired.
- The infused broth must be consumed throughout the day.
You can take a decoction not in its pure form, but as part of black tea. It can be prepared as follows.
- 15 g of lemongrass berries,
- 1 liter of boiled water.
- Pour boiling water over the berries. Add a brew of black tea.
- Insist 5 minutes.
- Add sugar or honey.
To receive benefits, and not harm from such drinks, the dosage should be strictly observed. To use decoctions and teas is not recommended before bedtime, so that overexcitation does not provoke insomnia.
How to make tincture of lemongrass berries
The use of alcohol tincture from lemongrass berries gives a good result for medicinal purposes. Such a tincture can be purchased at the pharmacy, but there are ways to cook it yourself at home. The basis for tincture will be 70% medical alcohol or vodka. Berries can be used both fresh and dried.
Tincture of lemongrass berries on vodka consists of the following components:
- 30 g dry lemongrass berries
- 0.5 l of vodka.
- Chop the berries, pour into a dark container, pour vodka, tightly close the lid.
- Remove to a dark place for 2 weeks.
- Strain the tincture from impurities.
Use 1 teaspoon three times a day before meals. The course of treatment is 14 days.
Tincture of the fruits of lemongrass on alcohol:
- 100 g of dried or fresh berries,
- 500 ml of alcohol 70%.
- Pour the berries with alcohol. Use a dark bottle. Cork up.
- Clean for 10 days in a cool, dark place.
Before use, the tincture must be diluted with water in a consistency of 1: 1. Take 1 teaspoon before meals 3 times a day. The course of treatment is 10 days.
Important! Homemade homemade tinctures can relieve headaches and dizziness, remove depressive and stressful conditions, and normalize the general condition of a person. In order to avoid harm from treatment, the indicated doses must be strictly observed.
Another tincture on the berries of lemongrass can be used as an external remedy for diseases of the musculoskeletal system and rheumatism. The treatment method is as follows. Sore spots smeared with tincture 2 times a day. An evening procedure is best done before bedtime. The course of treatment can last up to 1 month.
You can prepare a tasty and healthy tincture of vodka. So the tincture is prepared not for medicinal use:
- 1.5 cups of fresh berries of lemongrass,
- 1 cup of honey (sugar can be used)
- 0.5 l of vodka.
- Mix the ingredients in a jar.
- Remove to insist.
- Stir and shake once a week.
- Insist 2-3 months.
The finished tincture has a dark garnet color and a pleasant smell.
Important! In its natural form, schizander is not used, but a variety of desserts are prepared from it - jam, jam, drinks. Schisandra berries are used in the confectionery, distillery and food industries.
Lemongrass juice is a good raw material for making kvass, syrup, various drinks, sweets, marmalade.
Schisandra berries with honey
The beneficial properties of lemongrass fruits can be greatly enhanced if honey is added to them. It turns out a great treat, giving a boost of energy for the whole day. The composition stimulates the cardiovascular system.
- Chop fresh berries.
- Pour with honey, insist 2 weeks.
Store in a refrigerator in a dark container. Consume by adding to tea at breakfast.
Tincture of lemongrass berries with the addition of honey also has a beneficial effect on the body. For 1 cup of tincture, 1 teaspoon of honey is required. Take 1 tablespoon three times daily before meals.
Useful properties of lemongrass seeds
Based on lemongrass seeds, tincture and powder are prepared. Their use restores the work of all body systems, mobilizes it in extreme conditions, helps to overcome drowsiness and decreased attention. Tincture is recommended for increased stomach acidity, hypotension, decreased hearing and vision.
Receiving seed powder 1-3 g per day reduces the feeling of fatigue with significant physical exertion, for example, during night shifts. The increase in strength is felt half an hour after taking the powder and lasts up to 8 hours. Addiction does not develop. The duration of the course is 3 weeks, the maximum effect of taking the powder is observed at the end of the second week of the course.
Schisandra berries with sugar
This method is great for harvesting lemongrass berries for the winter. Fresh fruits are washed, dried and covered with sugar in the proportion: 1 part berries to 2 parts sugar. The resulting mixture is transferred to jars and rolled up with lids. In this state, the berries retain all the beneficial qualities until the next harvest. Store in a cool place.
The use of lemongrass in folk medicine: recipes
Decoctions and tinctures of lemongrass have long been used in folk medicine. They treat various ailments: kidney disease, tuberculosis, loss of strength, slowly healing purulent wounds. They enhance visual acuity. For both women and men, these drugs return the joy of an intimate life.
Below are some recipes.
Juice from berries perfectly preserves all the healing properties of lemongrass. It is prepared from fresh, but pre-laid 1-2 days of fruit.
The spinning process is best done manually to avoid crushing seeds (this adds an unnecessary bitter taste to the juice). To the obtained amount of juice add sugar equal to its double volume.
Sugar should be completely dissolved in juice. Pour the resulting solution into dark bottles, roll up the lids.
Juice made in this way is stored in a cool, dark place. Shelf life is up to 3 years, while the juice does not sour or mold. Berry juice is added to all kinds of teas, compotes, pastries or consumed independently in small doses.
Schizandra tonic wine
When making juice, there is a spin, in which there is a lot of pulp. It can be used for making wine. First you need to extract the seeds, otherwise the wine will be bitter and have a tarry smell. Then pour the resulting mass with water. After 2-3 days, the precipitate should be drained, and sugar should be added to the must and diluted well with water. Wait until fermentation is complete. To drink in the summer in the hottest time, diluting twice with water (better than spring or well).
From freshly squeezed juice you can cook a healthy treat - marmalade. Make it easy. For marmalade you need:
- 1 liter of juice from lemongrass berries,
- 2.5-3 cups of sugar,
- 3 tablespoons of pectin.
- Add pectin to the heated juice, leave for half an hour to swell.
- In another bowl, boil the sugar syrup and 150 g of juice.
- The swollen mixture with pectin is added to the syrup and boiled until thickened.
- Hot marmalade is poured into cooked containers and left to solidify.
- Before use, you can cut it into small pieces for convenience.
This medicinal sweetness perfectly helps the body in the fight against colds in the cold season. Marmalade has a very pleasant taste and aroma.
Fresh berries in sugar
This is a winter harvest to maintain good shape. Sort the berries, dry on a paper napkin. Put in a jar, mixing with sugar. Take 2 times more sugar than berries. Cover the banks with parchment and tie. Store in a cool place. You can eat berries just like that or add to tea or pastries.
Terms and conditions of storage
For better preservation of the medicinal properties of Schisandra fruits, it is necessary to correctly observe the terms and conditions of storage.
Store dried fruits and seeds in a cool, dry place in cloth bags. Shelf life is 2 years.
Healing home tinctures can be stored for a long time without losing their qualities. For storage, choose a dark, tightly closed container. Keep bottles with tincture in a cool place.
It is recommended that honey-drenched berries be stored on the bottom shelf in the refrigerator in a dark glass dish. Shelf life is long. But it is better to use until the next harvest.
Berries of lemongrass with sugar, rolled up in jars under the lids. Banks are cleaned in a cool place. Shelf life is 1 year.
Juice from lemongrass berries is stored for a long time. He is rolled up in jars under the lid and put away in a cool dark place. The shelf life of juice in this form is 3 years.
Jam and jam remain healthy for 1-2 years. Store in a dark place, the temperature does not matter (both in the refrigerator and at room temperature).
Marmalade is stored in the refrigerator. It is advisable to use for 1-2 months.
Phytohormones in lemongrass have a beneficial effect on the skin of the face. They restore skin cells, brighten it and narrow pores, making the skin velvety and elastic. Long-term use of berry juice in skin care tightens the contour, smoothes wrinkles, making the face younger.
- Anti-aging mask. A mixture of 1 tsp pulp of lemongrass berries and 2 tbsp. Sour cream spread evenly on the face, avoiding the area around the eyes. After 20 minutes, wash with warm water.
- Tonic for oily skin. To 0.5 l of alcohol extract of lemongrass berries, prepared according to a standard recipe, add a tablespoon of glycerin. Mix. In a separate container, dilute with water 4 times and wipe the face in the morning and evening.
- Mask for dry skin. K 2 tbsp oily sour cream add 1 tbsp. pulp from the fruits of lemongrass. Stir and apply on face for 10 minutes. Wash off with a swab dipped in medium-fat milk.
Schisandra chinensis - what are the benefits for the body of oriental fruit?
Chinese magnolia vine, or, as it is called by a different name, schizandra, was used for medicinal purposes in ancient China by traditional healers. A variety of remedies were prepared from berries, leaves, bark, and even flowers, with which certain ailments were treated. Even in our time in eastern countries, this plant is widely used.
Conditioners based on infusions of Chinese magnolia vine make hair shiny and prevent hair loss.
- Rinse aid for strengthening hair. 4 tbsp pour dried and chopped leaves of lemongrass with boiling water (1 l). Insist 7 minutes in a water bath. To the filtered infusion add 1 tbsp. vinegar.
- Hair conditioner with herbs. Mix in a pan for 1 tbsp. dried and chopped nettle leaves, lemongrass and chamomile pharmacy. Pour in 1 liter of water and, bringing to a boil on the stove, boil for another 5 minutes.Use after straining to rinse hair.
The composition of lemongrass - vitamins, calories
The use of the whole plant for treatment is due to the diverse and healing composition. Berries contain a relatively small percentage of carbohydrates - only 1.5%. Fruits are also rich in essential oils, organic acids: malic, tartaric, citric and many others, tannins. The flesh contains the most vitamin C and group B.
Chinese Schisandra seeds are 34% fatty acids. They contain tonic substances and vitamin E.
In the cortex there are about 2-3% of essential oils. High percentage of hydrocarbons, fatty acids, ketonic and aldehyde substances.
The benefits of lemongrass for the body
There is no useful part in this plant. Schisandra is useful whole - from the root to the leaves and fruits. It is attributed to potent stimulants.
Schizandra is used to treat anemia, intoxication, toxicosis of pregnant women, asthma, bronchitis, diseases of the upper skin layer, some ailments of the liver and digestive organs, problems with sexual function. One of the most important functions of lemongrass is considered to be the improvement of the activity of the uterus and skeletal muscles.
In modern medicine, the therapeutic effect of this plant is used:
In a heated (but not to a boil) liter of berry juice, pour 3 tbsp. pectin, set aside for half an hour. At this time, boil the syrup from 3 glasses of sugar and 150 ml of juice. Combine sugar syrup with swollen pectin and cook with stirring until thickened. Ready jelly warm pour into molds. Before serving, sprinkle with powdered sugar and cut into pieces of the desired size.
Harm and contraindications
Preparations based on lemongrass have a pronounced tonic effect, therefore, before proceeding with treatment, it is necessary to consult a doctor.
- individual intolerance,
- intracranial pressure,
- stomach ulcer
- violation of cardiac activity,
- acute infectious disease
- age up to 12 years
- consequence of severe injuries.
An overdose of lemongrass can cause insomnia, headaches or allergies. If any of the symptoms occur, stop taking the drug.
Do not use lemongrass-based preparations in the afternoon after 15 hours, as lemongrass increases tone, which can lead to insomnia.
How to collect and store lemongrass
Medicinal raw materials in lemongrass are all parts of the plant:
- bark - harvested in the spring,
- vine - in the period of fruit ripening,
- leaves for tinctures - during blooming, for mucus - during leaf fall,
- fruits - from the second half of September to the first frosts.
The knife for cutting the fruits of lemongrass should be sharp. Brushes need to be cut carefully, being careful not to damage the vine. Collect fruits should be in an enameled bucket or basket.
Important! It is impossible to store berries not processed for more than a day.
It is strictly forbidden to use easily oxidized dishes during the collection or processing of berries.
Jam from lemongrass berries is incredibly tasty and aromatic. It will allow you to fill your body with vitamins even in winter and early spring, when they are very scarce.
Pour the peeled fruits with sugar and leave for 24 hours. After enough juice has stood out, proceed to cooking. If the juice is not enough, add 0.5 cups of water. Cook until sugar is completely dissolved, and then boil for another 5 minutes. When the jam has completely cooled, boil again for 5 minutes and let cool. Pour into banks and roll up.
You need to eat such jam moderately, because after boiling the berries, the properties are not lost. It is used to reduce blood pressure and reduce the frequency of heartbeats. In the cold period, this jam will help strengthen the immune system.Add it to pastries and desserts to please your family and yourself with unusually delicious dishes.
Healthy tea is prepared from almost all parts of the plant. If these are dried berries, then the liquid has the same healing properties as fresh fruits or jam. Tea from leaves and stems strengthens the immune system, heals wounds, improves digestion and the functioning of the heart.
How to brew lemongrass
To prepare a decoction, any part of lemongrass is suitable. In order to not lose the valuable qualities of lemongrass when brewing, you need to follow simple rules:
- Use enameled or glassware.
- The lid should fit snugly against the container.
- To filter the finished broth, use a tea strainer made of earthenware or silver, or a four-layer gauze.
- For the preparation of 1 liter of broth, 15 g of raw schisandra in any form is enough.
Below are some recipes for vitamin tea from different parts of lemongrass.
Schisandra with sugar
For treatment and gastronomic enjoyment, a combination of lemongrass with sugar is also used. From the berries make a kind of mashed potatoes and roll for the winter. The recipe is listed below.
This tool has the same properties as jam. They can be treated or cook delicious desserts and add to tea.
Due to the high concentration of biologically active substances and phenolic compounds, the aging of the male body slows down. Antioxidants activate the production of sex hormones, because Chinese magnolia vine is so useful for potency and libido.
The berries not only increase male strength, but also prevent premature ejaculation, impotence and inflammation of the prostate. They positively affect the amount of production and sperm quality.
The benefits of lemongrass have been proven by many studies. It is recommended for use in many diseases. Some doctors believe that eating the berries of this plant during pregnancy is completely undesirable. This can provoke an increased heart rate and increased blood pressure.
Other doctors recommend drinking tea with this berry in small quantities.
Schisandra in folk medicine
Traditional healers have always noted that to obtain a therapeutic or preventive effect, lemongrass should be drunk regularly in courses. One should be at least 20 days.
To increase efficiency, mood and energy, juice was prepared from berries and canned. It was prepared as follows. The fruits were thoroughly cleaned of debris, flowers and twigs.
They were placed in enameled dishes and covered with sugar in the proportion of 1 part berries / 3 parts sugar. After 5 days, the berries will start the juice. It must be filtered in sterile jars and refrigerated.
Take juice by adding 1 tsp to tea.
To improve the protective function of the immune system, tea is made from dried leaves.
200 ml of hot boiled water pour 1 tsp. dry shredded leaves and insist a little. Tea will also be effective if stems are used together. You can add a little sugar or honey to it.
Tea made from bark and small twigs is used to prevent tooth decay. For 0.5 liters of boiling water, you will need 1 tablespoon. Mix and give a little time to infuse. Drink instead of regular tea.
Infusion is also prepared from dried berries. To prepare dry fruits (1 tbsp), boil in 0.5 l of water and insist. Strain through cheesecloth and add a tablespoon to a glass of water.
Application in cosmetology
For the manufacture of home cosmetics, you can use all parts of lemongrass.
For dehydrated skin, mashed fresh berries (1 tsp) and sour cream with a fat content of 25-30% (1 tbsp) are perfect. Apply on face and stand for 10 minutes. Rinse your face with milk, not with water.
Fruits are suitable for skin prone to oily.
Take 2 tbsp. berries and place in a half liter of vodka.Soak for 7 days in the dark and cool, and then strain. Add 1 tbsp. liquid glycerin. Dilute all the liquid in a 1: 3 ratio with water and wipe the face, neck and décolleté in the morning and before bedtime.
Schisandra is effective in case of severe hair loss. Rinse with fresh leaves, young twigs and fruits will help strengthen the roots and stimulate growth. For single use, you need only 1 tablespoon. shredded components. Pour them in a thermos with boiling water (0.5 L) and close for 3 hours. Strain and wring out the unnecessary pulp, and rinse the hair with liquid after each hair wash.
Interesting facts about lemongrass
- Schisandra in Chinese medicine for healing properties was in second place after ginseng. But he has an advantage over the king of Chinese doctors - the healing effect of the cultivated vine is not inferior to that of the wild. While wild ginseng is an order of magnitude more useful than its cultivated fellow.
- The use of lemongrass-based preparations in any form 5 times reduces the risk of catching an infection during influenza epidemics.
- Preparations based on Schisandra chinensis stimulate the functioning of brain cells, maintaining activity at a high level and without causing depletion.
- In Schisandra chinensis there are no any poisonous compounds of plant origin (alkaloids, glycosides, etc.).
The benefits and harms of lemongrass
- Gone are the days when a summer cottage plot consisted of even and boring beds with carrots, onions, potatoes.
- Modern summer residents try to decorate their allotments with various figures and elegant ponds, plant unusual flowers and plants.
In general, to do everything so that it is not like everyone else, to create a sense of brightness and elegance. One of such unusual plants that will delight the owners of the cottage and their guests will be lemongrass, tasty and healthy.
About the plant
Schisandra, it is a Chinese magnolia vine, it is schizandra really a very useful plant. Its fruits and leaves have a pronounced bitter-sour taste of lemon.
The plant is most widely distributed in China. Actually, that's why it is called Chinese magnolia vine. The Chinese adore this plant. Its fruits are used for making jam and tinctures, added to tea and desserts.
In Russia, the plant used to grow in Primorsky and Khabarovsk Territories and on Sakhalin. However, it has now spread widely and feels great in the middle lane.
What does lemongrass look like?
Schisandra is similar to a woody vine, the length of which can reach 12 meters. The leaves are small, when kneading leave a delicate aroma of lemon peel.
It blooms in May, spreading a light aroma around. Bright red fruits ripen in August-September. The fruits themselves are small and grow in beautiful clusters.
Each bunch consists of 10-20 berries and looks very impressive on the bushes. Berries have a thin skin and acidic juicy pulp. It is good to brew leaves and ripe berries in tea, giving the drink a light aftertaste of lemon.
The plant itself is completely unpretentious, does not require special care and is easily propagated by processes.
The usefulness of lemongrass
Such a remarkable composition can not but affect the benefits of berries. They are widely used both for the manufacture of medicines in the pharmaceutical industry, and for home use.
In China, even bark, roots and branches of plants are used, in Russia so far they are limited only to berries, fresh or dried. They help with:
- Stress and depression. Improve the mental state of a person, make him more resistant to the negative effects of the modern world. Tone the body, fill it with energy, lift the mood. Everyone in the same China uses berries daily, believing that this is what helps to cope with physical and psycho-emotional stress.
- Heart disease. Thanks to the presence of antioxidants, berries benefit everyone who has heart problems and strengthens the heart muscle. Well established during recovery after chemotherapy.
- Respiratory diseases, pneumonia, asthma. Weaken the cough and help cleanse the bronchi.
- Diseases of the liver and adrenal glands, exempt from toxic substances and drug poisons. They help cleanse the body of the effects of alcohol and food poisoning.
In addition, lemongrass has remarkably proven itself as a means to improve the hormonal background (especially with painful menstruation or menopause), develop the brain and prevent senile dementia, increase immunity, and prevent diabetes. Helps to improve the endocrine system.
The presence of a large number of microelements has a beneficial effect on the functioning of the brain, allows you to concentrate, fights against general fatigue, helps to cope with drowsiness and apathy, and improves night sleep.
Important! Berries help strengthen vision.
It is believed that the plant helps a lot in the fight against hepatitis C and cancer. The data are not scientifically proven, but there are cases of recovery.
In cosmetology, lemongrass berries are used to make creams. They tighten and tone the skin, contribute to the healing of small wounds.
Harm of lemongrass
Lemongrass is practically not able to harm the body, if the correct dosage is observed. You should not eat more than 5 berries per day, especially at first. If the recommended dose is significantly exceeded, the nervous system may suffer, insomnia and depression may appear, and the intestinal tract may break.
IMPORTANT! Do not eat fruits for pregnant women and nursing mothers. With special care, lemongrass should be used for heartburn, ulcers, high blood pressure.
Thus, lemongrass is an unpretentious plant, it is easy to grow in your own garden and which will be of great benefit to the body, subject to some simple conditions.