Gum mucosal inflammation is a common problem that is familiar to every adult. Usually, treatment is carried out at home, but after consulting a dentist. Consulting a doctor is necessary, since only a specialist can assess the degree of danger of the disease and prescribe adequate therapy. The choice of drugs used for gum disease is determined by the cause and characteristics of the course of the disease.
Causes of inflammation
Gum disease (gingivitis, periodontitis) is accompanied by pain, bleeding, redness and swelling of the mucosa. All the causes of unpleasant symptoms can be divided into local and general. Local ones include:
- Mechanical damage (trauma during medical manipulations, burns, a wound from a solid food or bone, hard toothbrush).
- Infection in the oral cavity (bacterial, viral or fungal).
- Teething (in children).
- Tartar formation.
- Poor toothbrushing.
Common factors that provoke gum inflammation include:
- hormonal disruptions
- low immunity, HIV,
- genetic predisposition
- digestive or cardiovascular diseases, infections,
- smoking and the use of certain medications.
High-quality treatment involves not only local effects on the damaged mucosa, but also the elimination of the cause of the disease.
Gum disease with gingivitis (photo No. 1) and periodontitis (photo No. 2)
How to treat gum disease at home
Gum disease is a symptom of several diseases that differ in nature and require different treatments. It can be acute or chronic gingivitis, stomatitis, periodontitis or periodontal disease. Lack of therapy or the use of inappropriate methods can lead to complications, including tooth loss. Therefore, it is so important to conduct timely treatment, and only under the supervision of a qualified doctor. Modern medicine has simple and effective ways to solve the problem.
Sometimes the disease requires surgical intervention, but usually the treatment of gum disease is carried out at home. The doctor determines the treatment regimen and necessary drugs on an individual basis, based on the clinical picture. The course may include:
- Rinse (with antiseptic solutions or decoctions of herbs). The procedure must be carried out repeatedly for several days. This allows you to clean the surface of the gums, reduce microbial activity and accelerate healing.
- The use of therapeutic gels and ointments, applications.
- Antibiotics (as indicated). The use of such drugs should be strictly prescribed by a doctor.
- Special periodontal dressings (if necessary).
- Vitamin preparations. They help strengthen the body's defenses, accelerate recovery and prevent relapses.
The goal of therapy is to restore the mucous membrane, eliminate the provoking factor and strengthen the immune system. A quick treatment for gum disease at home is possible with:
- proper diagnosis
- integrated approach
- exact observance of medical recommendations.
When painful symptoms appear, it is important not to leave them unattended, but as soon as possible consult a specialist and begin treatment.
As the main or auxiliary means are used for any type of gum disease. Rinsing with antiseptic solutions helps to quickly get rid of inflammation and accelerate tissue healing. Most often, the following drugs are used for this purpose:
- "Furacilin." You can purchase the finished solution or prepare it yourself. To do this, 2 tablets of the drug are dissolved in a glass of hot water. Rinse your mouth with this solution 2-3 times a day, after meals. The drug is often used to treat gums - it is very effective against inflammation due to its pronounced antibacterial effect.
- "Stomatophyte". Pharmaceutical preparation based on plant extracts. It has a healing, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory effect on the oral mucosa. For use, dilute with water.
- Miramistin. Affects all types of infectious pathogens - fungus, bacteria and viruses. The solution has no taste and odor, so it is comfortable to use. Rinse your mouth with Miramistin 3-4 times a day, after meals. Improvement is noted after the first application.
- Chlorophyllipt. The active ingredients of Chlorophyllipt are extracts of myrrh and eucalyptus. In diluted form, the liquid is used to rinse. The drug suppresses the infection, stimulates local immunity.
- "Rotokan." To prepare the solution, you need to dilute the product with warm water according to the instructions, rinse your mouth 2-3 times a day. The action is hemostatic, antibacterial and healing. It can cause allergies, because it is made on the basis of medicinal plants.
For rinsing, you can use a solution of hydrogen peroxide, potassium permanganate ("potassium permanganate"), "Chlorhexidine." The choice of drug for the procedure is best entrusted to the doctor.
Antiseptic lozenges and sprays
If it is not possible to often rinse your mouth with solutions, you can use antiseptic lozenges and lozenges to relieve inflammation. They are sold in pharmacies as preparations for the treatment of throat - these are Strepsils, Septolete, Lizobakt, lozenges with sage and eucalyptus. You can also irrigate the oral cavity with sprays from throat diseases - “Hexoral”, “Tantum Verde”, “Strepsils Plus”. Some of them additionally perform the functions of a good painkiller. Cons of this method:
- Lozenges and lozenges do not wash and do not clean the mucous membrane.
- The action covers not only the oral cavity, but also the pharynx, in addition, partially the drugs enter the stomach.
- Many products in this group contain sugar (glucose), which is harmful to the teeth.
Despite the shortcomings, funds for the treatment of sore throats help to cope with uncomplicated gum disease. You can not completely replace the prescribed treatment and rinse the mouth, but such drugs are convenient to use while at work or on the go.
Causes for Periodontal Inflammation
There are a lot of negative factors. First of all, poor care and improper use of oral hygiene products have a huge impact.
Such a negligent attitude can lead not only to inflammatory processes, but also to atrophy of the entire alveolar process, which ultimately provokes loosening and tooth loss.
Other reasons include the following:
- Decreased immunological status . In this case, problems arise even with a slight mucosal injury. Pathogenic microorganisms easily penetrate and cause pain.
- Tartar . Often, its accumulation is the result of a careless attitude to oral hygiene. Hard deposits cause constant pressure on the periodontal vessels, violating their elasticity. As a result, bleeding appears, which indicates the onset of the development of the disease.
- Systemic pathology . They help to reduce the protective properties of the body, causing many problems.
- Hormonal changes . This is very often observed in adolescence, during pregnancy, the postmenstrual period, as well as in the elderly.
- Bad habits . Of particular negative effect is smoking and chronic alcoholism. All this violates local immunity and leads to dysbiosis.
- Anomalies of the oral cavity . These include both anatomical and histological structural features.
In addition, negative phenomena are observed with vitamin deficiencies, occupational hazards, malnutrition, severe climatic conditions, and environmental pollution. A doctor will help to identify all the factors. Perhaps this will require additional research methods.
Symptoms of oral inflammation
Even the very first signs of the development of pathology should not be ignored. Early diagnosis will quickly get rid of diseases and prevent complications. How to rinse your mouth if the gum hurts will depend on the form of periodontal lesions.
Table number 1. Symptoms of some pathologies:
Type of disease Main manifestation Differential diagnosis
Swelling and bleeding of soft tissues, whitish or dark plaque, ulceration. Aphthous, herpetic stomatitis, mechanical chronic injury.
Reducing the volume of periodontal tissues in height, exposure of the roots, high sensitivity of teeth. Periodontitis, atrophic gingivitis.
Swelling and the presence of gingivitis near one maximum of 2 teeth. Soreness with horizontal percussion and chewing food. Edematous form of gingivitis, periostitis.
The use of drugs
Today there are a huge number of drugs for the treatment of pathologies of the oral cavity. They are produced in the form of gels, ointments and tablets. If your gums hurt, then rinse your mouth?
The most popular are antiseptic solutions. They are used in pure or diluted form.
These are such tools as:
- Miramistin . During use, it is necessary to ensure that the drug falls on all areas of the periodontium. It is allowed to use from 12 years of age. For a single treatment, 15 ml of solution is enough. The therapeutic course is 10 days.
- Chlorhexidine. It is worth considering that if the drug has a concentration of more than 0.5%, it must be diluted in warm boiled water. The drug has a pronounced antiseptic effect, and its affordable price makes it even more popular. However, in this regard, the course of treatment should not be more than 5-6 days. For processing take 1 tbsp. spoon of antiseptic and rinse for about 5 minutes. After you can’t eat food and drink liquid for 1-1.5 hours.
- Hydrogen peroxide. Suitable for the initial stages of gum disease. Hydrogen peroxide must be diluted before use, by dissolving 1 tsp. funds in 120 ml. water. This volume is enough for 1 procedure. A 3-time rinse is required per day, for 10 days.
- Furatsilin . The drug is available in finished form and in tablet form. To prepare the product, the tablet is dissolved in 200 ml of water. The solution turns yellow with a bitter aftertaste. A positive effect is observed already on the 2nd day. The duration of treatment is 1 week.
Often the question arises, what to rinse if the gum hurts after tooth extraction?
It is very important to understand that discomfort can only be the result of surgical interventions. Therefore, this technique should be carried out only the next day and then very carefully, to prevent damage to the blood clot in the hole.
To remove inflammation, broths, freshly squeezed juice or tinctures from medicinal herbs, as well as other plants, are perfect. The only condition is the need to comply with the preparation methods of the mixture.
For the best effect, all preparations and decoctions can be applied using a dental irrigator. How to do this correctly will show the video in this article.
Of these agents, the following have a pronounced therapeutic effect:
- Aloe and Kalonkhoe. The juice of these plants has anti-inflammatory and soothing properties. It can be used not only for rinsing, but also for applications. In a simplified form, the leaves of plants are allowed simply to periodically during the day carefully chew and spit out the formed liquid.
- Plantain. 2 tbsp plants are brewed in 400 ml. boiling water. Insist should be half an hour. During this time, the broth will cool and will be ready for use.
- Chamomile. When there are disagreements about how to rinse, when the gums hurt, then this is the most popular remedy. Chamomile is safe even for people with allergies. You can use it quite often during the day. The decoction is shown until all expressed symptoms disappear. Prepare it in the classical way at the rate of 1 tbsp. in a glass of boiling water.
- Coriander seeds On a glass of boiling water, add 2 teaspoons of the component. The resulting broth is used several times a day.
- Elderberry flowers. Treatment with such a means of the oral cavity should be carried out only 1 time per day.
- Calendula. To prepare the broth, it is precisely the inflorescences that are needed. On a glass of boiling water add 20 g of funds. Before use, dilute with water 1: 2. The course of treatment until complete recovery.
- Lingonberry leaves. The medicine is a little more difficult to prepare than usual. Leaves in the amount of 1 tbsp. pour a glass of boiling water in an enameled bowl. The dishes are put on fire and held for another 15-20 minutes. Then the resulting broth needs to be cooled. Processing is recommended with a frequency of 1 time in 2 hours.
- St. John's wort Dry grass in the amount of 2 tbsp. pour half a liter of hot water and boil for another 5 minutes. The resulting mixture is divided into 6 servings, which are used for 1 one day.
- Leaves of a three-colored violet. 200 ml. boiled water add 1 tbsp. shredded plants. Withstand over low heat for 15 minutes. it is necessary to apply the broth in the form of heat several times a day.
These medicinal herbs are very effective even in the absence of traditional effects. They help disinfect and reduce the likelihood of re-inflammation. It is important that the instructions for use and preparation of decoctions are preserved.
The use of home remedies
All non-traditional methods of treatment often give a good positive result. Often even dentists recommend them as an additional effect in the initial forms of the disease.
If the gums hurt, then rinse more:
Table number 2. Other methods of treating gum disease:
Name of the product Method of preparation Action
100 g of animal fat, mixed with 10 g of pure propolis. Anti-inflammatory, wound healing.
A cleaned plant can be chewed in its pure form or applied to a problem area. Removes inflammation and accelerates regeneration.
Mix 2 products in a ratio of 1: 3. Well eliminates purulent discharge, relieves inflammation and pain.
It is used in its pure form for applications. Regenerating, analgesic.
Put the clove of garlic in salt for 2 minutes. Then place on the inflamed gum. Painkillers, partially antiseptic.
A small flat piece of lard to make the application of the problem area of the periodontium for 30 minutes. Promotes the splitting of purulent exudate, anesthetic effect.
A piece of the product must be warmed up by intensive kneading. Relieves pain, has an antiseptic effect.
Use only freshly squeezed juice, in the form of applications or oral baths. Anti-inflammatory.
So that there are no questions, if the gums hurt, how to rinse and how to quickly get rid of the problem, you should take care of yourself to prevent dental diseases.
It is important to note that such measures are quite simple and accessible to everyone:
- visit a doctor 2-3 times a year for a routine examination and elimination of all dental pathologies,
- eliminate such a bad habit as picking interdental spaces with third-party objects,
- pay attention to a balanced and nutritious diet,
- refuse or reduce the influence of bad habits (smoking tobacco, alcohol, drugs),
- Carefully care for your teeth and the entire oral cavity,
- choose the right brush and paste,
- eliminate the negative impact of occupational hazards.
These rules must be observed constantly. This is the only way to maintain the health of teeth and all organs of the oral cavity for a long time.
It is worth remembering that even a minor inflammatory process without treatment can cause complications not only of a dental nature, but also spread throughout the body.
Anti-inflammatory therapy -
Below we will tell you how to treat gum disease at home. But you must understand that such a course will be fully effective only after removing the causative factor of inflammation from the teeth (i.e., microbial plaque and tartar). If you use the following funds without first removing the dental plaque, then you can only temporarily drown out the symptoms of inflammation, turning the inflammation into a chronic course.
Gum disease treatment at home usually lasts 10 days. Gum treatment is carried out 2 times a day (morning and evening), and it is important to do it only after eating and subsequent oral hygiene. Thus, in the morning you should have breakfast and brush your teeth, after which it will be necessary to rinse your mouth with an antiseptic solution first. With a slight inflammation, you can use the standard inexpensive 0.05% chlorhexidine solution, which is sold in any pharmacy for 40 rubles.
But, if you have severe inflammation of the gums and there is severe bleeding when cleaning, then it is better to use solutions with a chlorhexidine content of 0.2-025%. The best remedy for gum inflammation with such a concentration of chlorhexidine is the Rinse Lacalut Active, or PresiDent Antibacterial. To rinse, you need to put in your mouth 10-15 ml of solution (one sip) and, without spitting anything, rinse your mouth for 1 minute.
After rinsing, a special anti-inflammatory gel must be applied to the gum. The best cure for gum inflammation for these purposes is Holisal gel (it contains 2 active components that penetrate deep into the mucous membrane and quickly relieve inflammation). For moderate inflammation, you can also use periodontal gel. The gel will be better fixed on the moist mucous membrane of the oral cavity if you previously dry the gingival margin with a dry gauze swab.
Next, squeeze the gel onto the finger and apply it on the gingival margin, which is adjacent to the front surface of the upper and lower teeth. Usually, the gel is applied to the gums only from the front surface of the dentition (on the lingual / palatine side, processing is carried out if necessary). After applying the gel for 30 minutes, you should not drink, do not rinse your mouth, and also do not eat food for 2 hours. Swallow the formed saliva as usual, it does not need to be saved or spit. In the evening, repeat the treatment - rinse your mouth again after eating and brushing your teeth, and then apply the gel.
- With gingivitis only the marginal part of the gums is covered with inflammation, therefore, the above anti-inflammatory course and preliminary removal of dental plaque is enough to completely cure the patient. But so that inflammation does not occur again, it is very important to maintain proper oral hygiene. Below the link you can read the comprehensive information on the forms of gingivitis and their treatment -
With periodontitis, i.e. when tooth mobility, exposure of roots, suppuration from periodontal pockets joined the symptoms of gingivitis - just removing the dental deposits and the above course of anti-inflammatory therapy will no longer be enough. Here, antibiotic therapy, washing of periodontal pockets, splinting of mobile groups of teeth, as well as surgical treatment methods may additionally be required. Read more about these in the article -
2. Local inflammation of the gums near the tooth -
In this section, we will tell you how to relieve gum inflammation, if it occurs only in the area of 1-2 teeth. The reasons for such limited gingival inflammation may be a localized form of periodontitis, or an exacerbation of chronic tooth periodontitis. Gum swelling with localized periodontitis is usually localized in the interdental space, and closer to the gingival margin (Fig. 9-10). Often, with careful pressure on such a swelling, you can see that pus begins to secrete from under the gums.
Gum swelling with localized periodontitis: photo
The main causes of periodontitis localized in the area of 1-2 teeth are most often the following factors:
- Traumatic bite (supercontact) -
so-called “premature biting” may occur in some teeth antagonist teeth do not close evenly, but there is prematurely biting on one of the teeth. The presence of such a supercontact causes a mechanical overload of the tooth, which leads to the destruction of the bone tissue around it and inflammation of the gums. Supercontacts can appear independently, or be the result of poorly made fillings and crowns.
- The hanging edge of the filling in the interdental space -
in the treatment of caries between the teeth, the dentist may leave an overhanging edge of the filling, which will injure the gingival papilla in the interdental space. This is a gross error of the dentist. In addition to injuring the gums, the overhanging edge of the filling creates conditions for delaying food debris in the interdental space, which also contributes to the development of inflammation.
- Lack of contact between teeth -
when the part of the tooth that is in contact with the posterior teeth in the interdental space is destroyed, it is very important to restore proper contact. This is a rather complicated and painstaking work requiring skill, and not every dentist can restore a “contact point” between teeth. The lack of good contact will lead to stuffing of food in the interdental space, followed by decay of food debris and the development of inflammation.
- Hanging edges of crowns -
poorly made crowns can lead to permanent injury to the gums. For example, crowns may also have an overhanging edge that injures the gums. In Fig. 12, you can see an X-ray of the tooth under the crown: in the interdental space, the arrows limit the deep periodontal pocket that arose due to chronic gum injury overhanging the edge of the crown.
Gum inflammation near the tooth: treatment
if the cause was the overhanging edge of the seal or crown, then it is necessary to grind off the overhanging edge of the seal (if possible, otherwise completely replace the seal), make a new crown. In the absence of a good contact point between the teeth in the interdental space, it is also necessary to replace a poor-quality seal or crown, which caused a lack of contact. In the presence of traumatic supercontact, "selective grinding of teeth" is carried out.
All of the above is a basic therapy aimed at eliminating the causative factor that caused inflammation. Further, depending on the severity of inflammation and the degree of destruction of bone tissue around the tooth, a periodontal pocket curettage can be performed with synthetic bone tissue inserted in the bone pocket (to restore bone level), a course of anti-inflammatory therapy, splinting of the tooth (24stoma.ru).
Gum disease with periodontitis -
With localized periodontitis, inflammation develops in the interdental space, in which the formation of periodontal pockets occurs through inflammatory resorption of bone tissue around the tooth. In turn, the swelling of the gums during exacerbation of chronic periodontitis is associated with the development of purulent inflammation at the apex of the root of the tooth (Fig. 13). In this case, the gum swelling will appear most often in the projection of the apex of the root of the diseased tooth.
Inflammation of the gums with periodontitis: photo
The reason for the development of periodontitis (inflammation at the apex of the tooth root) is an infection in the root canals. Periodontitis occurs either as a result of the lack of timely treatment of tooth decay and pulpitis, or with poor-quality dental treatment, especially often with poor-quality root canal filling. Inflammation of the gums with periodontitis is usually limited to 1 causative tooth, but with the formation of a large purulent abscess, it can spread to several teeth (Fig. 14).
In all cases, inflammation, as a rule, is localized and located in the projection of the causative tooth. In a periodontitis tooth, a cyst (pouch filled with pus) forms on the apex of the root, which causes swelling of the gums. Swelling and swelling of the gums in this case will periodically appear, then disappear, etc.
How to relieve gum inflammation in periodontitis -
if the inflammation is really caused by the development of periodontitis (and not gingivitis or periodontitis), then this must be verified by making an X-ray and comparing it with the data of the visual examination of the teeth. The causative tooth will always have either a carious defect or a filling. A x-ray will allow you to see inflammatory changes in bone tissue in the region of the apex of the root of the tooth, as well as the quality of root canal filling, if it was previously performed.
Next is the treatment of the tooth. If root canal treatment in a tooth has not been previously performed, then the nerve is removed and the root canal is mechanically treated, after which the treatment of the inflammatory focus at the apex of the root of the tooth is carried out using special pastes based on calcium hydroxide. Next, the root canals are filled with gutta-percha and restoration of the tooth crown with a filling or crown. For comprehensive information on the treatment of periodontitis, read the article:
Gum treatment at home -
1) With gingivitis and periodontitis at home, you can only carry out anti-inflammatory therapy (antiseptic rinses, applications with anti-inflammatory drugs). However, this will not allow to cure inflammation, but only relieve symptoms for a short time. In order for anti-inflammatory therapy to have an effect, it is necessary to first remove all dental deposits. Qualitatively, this can only be done with the help of ultrasound at the dentist's appointment.
2) If we are talking about gum inflammation against the background of trauma to it by the overhanging edges of fillings / crowns, then just anti-inflammatory therapy also will not give the desired effect without eliminating the traumatic factor. Those. you still have to go to the dentist.
3) If you have periodic swelling of the gums in the area of several teeth against the background of periodontitis of one of the teeth, then anti-inflammatory drug therapy (including antibiotic therapy) is completely useless. In this case, inflammation is caused by an infection in the root canals, and until the root canals of this tooth are completely filled, the inflammation will not go anywhere.
Important : therefore, it is very important to understand that home treatment can be effective only in terms of conducting a course of anti-inflammatory therapy for chronic gingivitis and periodontitis, but again only after professional cleaning of teeth from plaque and stone. Home treatment can also be used to strengthen the gums between the main courses of anti-inflammatory therapy.
Gum disease: treatment with folk remedies
Folk remedies are positioned as a "safe" replacement for professional anti-inflammatory drugs designed to treat inflammation. However, they have a tenfold weaker effect than professional antiseptics or anti-inflammatory gels for gums. You can use folk remedies only as an additional tool in complex therapy or for prophylactic purposes.
Non-alcoholic decoctions of herbs really have a slight anti-inflammatory effect, for example, eucalyptus, chamomile, calendula, St. John's wort, oak bark ... But it is not recommended to rinse your mouth with these decoctions, because pigments contained in such decoctions easily settle on the surface of the teeth, making their surface rough, and this facilitates the formation of tartar.
If you really want to definitely use plant-based rinses, then it’s better to buy ready-made plant-based elixirs for plant-based rinses (pigments have already been removed), or use anti-inflammatory toothpastes with herbal ingredients. You can read about the ranking of the best gum toothpastes here.
A large number of recipes circulate on the Internet, which are not only unable to cure gum disease, but even contribute to the progression of inflammation. But most folk remedies in the absence of professional treatment only reduce the symptoms of the disease, masking them, and at this time the disease itself will progress imperceptibly.
As a result, patients are often referred in cases where irreversible changes have already occurred (tooth mobility, destruction of the bone around the teeth). And the main reason for these late appeals is precisely the traditional folk medicine. We hope that our article on the topic: Gum has inflamed what to do - turned out to be useful to you!
1. Add. author's professional education in periodontics,
2. Based on personal experience as a periodontist,
3. National Library of Medicine (USA),
4. American Academy of Periodontology (USA),
5. “Therapeutic dentistry. Textbook ”(Borovsky E.V.).
Ointments and gels
Such drugs are used for gingivitis, stomatitis, periodontitis and other inflammatory processes in the oral cavity. They differ from rinsing by a long action. It is better to apply any tool after cleansing the oral cavity.
Inflammatory diseases of the oral cavity create discomfort, pain, burning, which you want to get rid of as soon as possible. It is important to rely on drugs that not only eliminate unpleasant symptoms, but also affect the cause of inflammation: pathogenic bacteria, viruses and fungi. For example, the triple-action dental gel Holisal® has proven itself well. When applied topically, the active substances of the drug are absorbed through the mucous membrane of the oral cavity, helping to relieve pain and inflammation, as well as affecting viruses, fungi and pathogenic bacteria. The gel adhesive base helps to keep active substances on the mucous membrane, prolonging their action¹.
1.) Instructions for use of the medicinal product for medical use of Holisal®
There are contraindications. It is necessary to read the instructions or consult a specialist.
Inflammatory diseases of the gums differ in nature and degree of neglect, so different gels and ointments are used for treatment. The dentist determines the necessary drug individually.
In some cases, antibiotics are used to treat inflamed gums. They may be necessary if:
- Inflammation is severely started, ulcers are present on the mucous membrane, and there are purulent discharge.
- Local treatment procedures have failed.
- The patient's immunity is reduced and can not resist infection.
The doctor may prescribe antibiotics in the form of injections or tablets for oral administration. The most effective for gum disease are considered to be “Tsiprolet A”, “Gramitsidin S”, “Ekozitrin”, “Vilprafen”. But the effectiveness of therapy depends on the specific type of pathogen and its sensitivity to different types of antibiotics. Therefore, before choosing a drug, it is advisable to do the appropriate analysis. The use of antibiotics and other medications must be agreed with the attending physician.
Regardless of the causes of the disease, complex therapy includes a course of multivitamins. They make up for the lack of trace elements, increase the overall tone and protective status of the body. Thanks to this, healing is faster, and the likelihood of relapse is reduced. Well established themselves:
- “From A to Zinc” (manufacturer “DoppelHertz”),
- preparations from the Alphabet line,
- multitabs vitamins.
In pharmacies, a wide range of such drugs is presented, but when choosing it is better to pay attention to the recommendations of the attending physician.
How to treat gum disease
In addition to pharmacy medicines, folk remedies are widely used to treat gums at home. Depending on the severity of the disease, they can be used independently or as part of complex therapy. Any alternative methods of treatment must be agreed with the doctor in order to prevent aggravation of the disease and tooth loss.
Conventionally, traditional medicine can be divided into external (rinses, baths, lotions) and internal.
The simplest and most affordable means with which the gums of the house are treated are saline and soda solutions. For preparation, it is necessary to dissolve a teaspoon of soda or salt in a glass of warm water, rinse the procedure 3-4 times a day after meals. Such solutions have an antiseptic effect, relieve irritation and accelerate the regeneration of the mucosa. The following products have also proven themselves well:
- Rinses and "baths" with decoctions of herbs - eucalyptus, sage or chamomile. “Bath” means that the composition must be kept in the mouth for some time.
- When bleeding gums, rinsing with a decoction of pomegranate peel or infusion of oak bark is useful.
- Rinse with warm water and add essential oils. Tea tree oil, eucalyptus, lavender are suitable. A glass of water is enough 4-5 drops of oil.
- Aloe leaves are advised to apply to the inflamed areas of the mucosa - after removing the thick peel.
- Using a finger or a cotton swab, it is recommended to apply sea buckthorn oil to the gums.
Use folk remedies with caution, since plants can cause an allergic reaction.
With gingivitis and other types of inflammation, teas from herbs contribute to recovery. For their preparation, chamomile, sage, mint and yarrow are suitable. They have an antiseptic and restorative effect.
In addition, with gum disease, it is recommended to chew and eat 3-4 cloves of garlic daily.
Alternative methods help to cope with acute gingivitis, but are ineffective in periodontal disease and periodontitis, since advanced diseases require more serious treatment.
How to treat gum disease with folk methods
Other methods to combat sore gums
If medications and alternative methods do not give a result, the doctor can prescribe physiotherapeutic procedures, ultrasound treatment. In the most severe cases, surgery may be required.
The doctor should be consulted at the first sign of the disease, since it is better to treat gum inflammation at an early stage. Launched acute gingivitis can become chronic or develop into a more serious pathology - periodontitis or periodontal disease.
How to quickly relieve gum inflammation and bleeding
The most common cause of gum disease in adults is poor oral hygiene. To prevent the disease, you need to give it maximum attention. The set of recommendations is simple and familiar to everyone:
- Toothbrush replacement is necessary every 3 months.
- If the gums are prone to inflammation, you need to choose brushes with soft or medium hard bristles.
- Brushing your teeth 2 times a day, at least 3-5 minutes. It is important not to injure your gums.
- The choice of toothpaste is also important - it is better to give preference to trusted manufacturers ("Lacalut", "President", "Parodontax"). It is desirable that the medicinal and prophylactic paste contains extracts of medicinal plants and anti-inflammatory components.
- After eating, you should always use dental floss. It removes food stuck between the teeth so that food debris does not become a breeding ground for bacteria.
- If gums often become inflamed, daily use (after eating) of special mouthwashes (Forest Balm, Listerine) is recommended.
- Regular visits to the dentist (once every six months), timely treatment of caries.
- Proper nutrition (rich in vitamins, calcium, vegetables and fruits) and giving up bad habits are an important component of gum health.
Practice shows that sometimes it is enough to provide complete care for the oral cavity, and the condition of inflamed gums is normalized without additional medical procedures.
Which doctor to contact
If unpleasant symptoms appear, you should first contact your dentist. He will be able to assess the condition of the gums, make a diagnosis and prescribe treatment, and, if necessary, redirect to another specialist:
- If the cause of discomfort is periodontitis or periodontal disease, then the help of a periodontist will be required.
- If the problem is in the wrong bite, you will need to contact the orthodontist for correction.
- In cases where gum disease is caused by diabetes mellitus or hormonal imbalance, an endocrinologist should be consulted.
Severe infectious diseases (tuberculosis, HIV and others) require contacting appropriate specialists.
It is important to understand that stopping the symptoms of gum disease is not enough - you need to eliminate the cause of the pathology. To do this, you will need to cure concomitant diseases, adjust daily hygiene procedures. Only in this case can we count on a long-term positive result.