Bathing the baby is not only and not just a hygienic procedure. It gives the child pleasure and psychological comfort, a small but useful physical activity, helps to establish contact with mom and the world, and also strengthens health and tempers. But this is if the water temperature suits the baby perfectly. What should be the optimum water temperature for bathing a newborn baby, let's understand.
Is it hot or cold?
The skin of a newborn baby is still very thin and delicate, and thermoregulation is only forming, so children freeze and overheat so easily. Even an adult can become ill after overheating in a bath too hot, and even more so for babies. But if we can get out of the bathtub or adjust the temperature of the water, then the child cannot say anything about this, nor can he correct the situation. In addition, hot water helps open the pores on the skin of the child and get the infection there: children's skin is an ideal “gateway” for diseases to enter the body, because immunity, like thermoregulation, has not yet been formed in the child. ( read on the topic: the skin of the newborn and proper care for it)
Too cold water is not much better. If the child is cold, there will be no pleasure from swimming. And this is a risk to the urinary system: if it freezes, urinating will be painful.
Why monitor the water temperature
In the first months of his life, the child and his body are vulnerable to external influences. Thermoregulation of newborns is not yet fully formed, which is why they are so often subjected to hypothermia or overheating. That is why, when preparing a child for bathing, first of all, it is necessary to check the temperature of the water: it should not be neither hot nor cold.
The temperature of the water for bathing the newborn should be a couple of degrees higher than the room temperature. Do not be afraid if the water seems somewhat cool to you - it’s quite natural for an adult not to give up a relaxing hot bath.
A newborn baby is a completely different matter. From prolonged exposure to hot water, even an adult can become ill. Just imagine what could happen to the baby. Babies are especially sensitive to temperature fluctuations and changes, which is why it is important to maintain a fixed water level.
First baby bath
The first bathing of the baby in water is carried out after the umbilical wound has completely dried. Healing usually occurs 1-3 weeks after birth.
During the procedure, parents need to:
- constantly talk with the baby, give praise,
- continuously support the head and back,
- keep eye contact
- monitor the mood of the child.
Before starting the session, you need to make sure that all the conditions for the comfort and safety of the baby are created in the bathroom. In addition to knowing at what temperature a newborn should be bathed, it is worth paying attention to the factors listed below.
- Cleanliness of the bath / baby bath (clean with baking soda). Do not use chemical detergents.
- The presence of a non-slip rug on the floor, so that mom or dad is comfortable to lean towards the child.
- Position the soap, towel, and thermometer so that they are easy to reach.
- In the nursery, arrange a place where you will dress the baby: prepare a diaper, clothes and a diaper. In a separate tray, put the skin and navel care products: talcum powder, cream, potassium permanganate, cotton pads and sticks.
- The optimal environment in the bathroom is 25-27 ° C. If you plan to temper the baby - the degree drops to 20-22 ° C.
Bathing the baby is convenient both in the baby bath and in the bath itself. What to give preference to is your decision. Pros of use are presented in the table below.
|Big bath||Baby bath|
Why is it important to monitor the temperature of the water?
Bathing a baby from the first days of its birth will be an evening event. Water procedures for the newborn last only a few minutes. Bathing should be comfortable and soothing. Important information on how to bathe a newborn baby for the first time at home >>>
When preparing for bathing, it is important to take into account the characteristics of the body of a very small person and properly prepare the water for the bath:
- Water should not be extremely hot or too cold.
The thermoregulation of the infant's body has not yet been established, so the wrong temperature of the water when bathing can cause the baby to overheat or supercool.
- Hot water helps steaming the skin,
Tender children's skin has not yet developed immunity to infections, therefore, when steamed, it becomes vulnerable to bacteria.
- Too cold water in the baby bath can harm the urinary system of the baby, and subsequently cause discomfort when urinating.
Water temperature for bathing a newborn
The skin of the newborn is very delicate, so you need to carefully check the temperature of the bathing water. For these purposes, a thermometer is suitable, with which you can determine whether the temperature is suitable.
- Too cold water leads to hypothermia and colds.
- Warm expands the pores through which infections enter the body.
- Too hot leads to burns and problems in the functioning of internal organs.
If a newborn cries when bathing, this is a signal that something is wrong, and the actions cause the baby anxiety and discomfort.
To accustom the baby to the schedule, it is enough to choose the same time for bathing the baby, for example, before bedtime. Pleasant warmth will relax and help you sleep soundly. It is important to wash every day and not do it after feeding - this can lead to regurgitation.
In some cases, the baby cries after bathing, why this happens:
- Incorrect temperature or too cold air in the room can cause discomfort.
- The desire to drink or eat is also the cause of crying.
- Fear of the new and the unknown.
- Fatigue and strain.
- Irritation on the skin.
If there is no bathing equipment for a newborn, the process can be carried out in an adult bath. It can be completely filled so that the little one can freely move the arms and legs, in addition, it will cool down much more slowly.
Important! You need to know how to wash the bath before bathing the baby. For this, ordinary baking soda will do, which will destroy bacteria, dirt and will not leave behind plaque and smell.
Constantly boiling water for a newborn is not necessary, this is done only in the first weeks, until the umbilical wound has healed and the baby has enough to wipe with a sponge.
There is still no consensus on whether to bathe a child on the first day after discharge from the hospital. Therefore, it is worth considering both points of view on this issue.
In most cases, the child with the mother is discharged from the hospital on the 3rd day after birth. For this short time, the umbilical cord wound does not naturally heal. Therefore, some experts argue that the first bath should be carried out only after the healing of the navel.
Other scientists are convinced that bathing for the baby in the first days of his life is not only safe, but also beneficial. The initial stages of postembryonic development are severe stress for the body, as it enters a different habitat. In the process of undergoing water procedures, the baby falls into his native element. Most importantly, the temperature of the water for bathing newborns was comfortable for them.
Note. The umbilical cord wound is a gateway for infections, so until it heals for bathing the crumbs, you need to use boiled water. A small amount of a weak solution of potassium permanganate can be added to the bath. In addition, you can use the infusion of a string or chamomile, but in very small doses. Medicinal plants have anti-allergic, calming and anti-inflammatory effects.
Ideal water temperature
What should be the optimum temperature for bathing the smallest. Both pediatricians and mothers agree in one opinion: no higher than 37 degrees, but not lower than 34. For adults, such water may seem chilly, but the fact is that the child is used to such water even before birth: amniotic fluid has a temperature of 37 degrees, and It was in these conditions that the child developed before his birth. Water temperatures greater than 38 can lead to heart palpitations and overheating of the child. Too cold water from a habit can scare the baby and permanently discourage him from any desire to bathe and the child may start to be afraid of the bath. Important: What to do if the child is afraid to bathe in the bathroom.
Water of this temperature will prevent the penetration of infections and is beneficial for baby skin. In addition, the umbilical wound in a child heals faster with water at 37 degrees.
It's important to know. Until the umbilical wound has healed, the child needs to be bathed in boiled water. You can swim in the flowing starting from 10-14 days of life. By this time, the umbilical wound is coming off.
Do not be afraid that the water will cool quickly and the baby will freeze, because the first baths last no more than 10-15 minutes. Even if the water cools down by one or two degrees during this time, this will not be critical.
It is also important to monitor the temperature during bathing. The child will definitely not like the big difference between the temperature of water and air, so the bathing room should not be overheated and it is better not to close the door to it.
So, we start swimming at a temperature of 34-37 and every 3-4 days we lower the water temperature by 1-2 degrees. In general, the lower the temperature of the water, the better. But, no violence against the child, you need to see a measure.
Some children prefer warmer water, others - colder. How to understand if the baby is cold in the bath or hot? - If the baby is cold, he shrinks into a lump, his nasolabial triangle turns blue, after a while the child begins to tremble. If it is hot, the skin turns red and the child becomes lethargic. And in either case, the child will notify you by crying.
- In which water to bathe a newborn baby,boil water, add potassium permanganate?
- How to bathe newbornsread in this article
- Optimum air temperature in the room for a newborn baby:how to maintain temperature.
Water temperature for bathing a newborn baby
How many degrees should there be water prepared for bathing a newborn baby? To find the answer to this question, you need to understand that the regulation of the body temperature of an infant and an adult is significantly different. When choosing a water temperature, you need to be guided solely by the reactions of the baby, and not by your feelings. Even if it seems to you that the water is cold, this does not mean that the newborn will have a similar reaction.
The optimum water temperature is considered to be one that is not harmful to health. Without risk, the child can be immersed in water, the temperature readings of which range from 26 to 37 degrees. Many parents choose a larger value, although this is wrong. In the water, the baby should not relax. The colder the water (within reasonable limits), the more useful it is. Cold exposure to the skin of the newborn stimulates blood flow in the muscles, as a result of which their tone increases. If a sufficiently low water temperature is selected for bathing a newborn child (in the range 26 - 37), then the baby's heart will be more active during the procedure. Blood is saturated with useful substances, resulting in stimulation of metabolic processes and increased resistance to infectious diseases.
Water temperature above 35 degrees does not bring health benefits. In such water, the child relaxes, he has no incentive to move. You can start bathing at this temperature, but in the future it is worth gradually lowering the temperature regime.
For all young mothers, the question remains at what temperature of water it is possible to bathe a newborn baby for the first time. Even if you decide to follow the recommendations of pediatricians and carry out the procedure at low water temperatures, it is still worth starting from 33 - 34 degrees. Once in a warm bath, the baby will feel comfortable, although this temperature is of little use. At the first bathing, it is important that the child loves the procedure, if you immediately start bathing from 30 degrees, this can cause negative emotions in the baby, and he will further associate the procedure with something unpleasant. Gradually lower the temperature of the water and increase the duration of the bath. How to do it right, the pediatrician will tell.
The temperature should not be higher than 38 degrees, since the newborn is easy to overheat. Overheating is possible even if you think the water is cool.
To measure the water temperature, you should use an alcohol thermometer in a protective case. Such thermometers are considered the most reliable. If you leave the device in the water for the duration of the bath, you can constantly monitor the temperature.
The correct temperature for bathing a small child
The newborn was recently in the womb and was surrounded by amniotic fluid at its most comfortable temperature - 37-38 degrees Celsius. It is this temperature of water that will be most suitable for bathing the baby in the bath. Read about how to choose a bathtub for bathing a newborn >>>
We adults are used to relaxing in a hot bath for a long time. For a baby, this bathing option is unacceptable.
For adults, the temperature of the water for bathing the baby at 37-38 degrees will seem cool. However, the baby’s skin is so delicate and sensitive that such a temperature of bathing water is just the most comfortable. Warm water:
- will calm the baby and help heal the umbilical wound,
- helps a small body to form an immunity against various infections,
- will help to gradually develop and establish the process of thermoregulation of a small organism.
Suitable conditions: cold or warm
Some mothers do not know at what temperature a baby should be bathed. Children's pediatricians are of the opinion that the thermometer should not be lower than 26 ° C, and exceed 37 ° C. Chilled water promotes the development of the musculoskeletal system, respiratory system, stimulates the heart.
In this state, there is no desire to make active movements. The process will be joyful, but will not have a beneficial effect on the baby's body.
Temperature for a newborn for swimming
Water manipulations are good for baby's health. You can control the temperature in the bath with a thermometer. Comfortable bathing temperature is 28-38 ° С, but it should not exceed 40 degrees.
At the first bath, the water should be 37 ° C. Over time, it must be brought to 27.If during the bathing process the baby begins to cry, the water needs to be made warmer. Before taking the baby out of the bath, he is doused with water from a jug.
Bathing is a healing procedure, but at first it can scare a child. In order to prevent this from happening, the baby is first dipped in water with a diaper, then they are removed. At the first bathing, only the body is immersed in water, leave the face open.
Modern doctors allow water treatments from the first day of stay at home
How to bathe a newborn
- Daily splashing is an indispensable item in the baby’s daily routine, but what if he falls asleep in the evening, is it possible to wake him. If this is an isolated case, then the baby should not be awakened, but if this happens constantly, it is preferable to adjust its mode to include a visit to the shower room.
- Collect a bath of water (temperature +37 ºС). It is necessary to take into account the time of year and air temperature. When filling the bath with water, it is necessary to stir it periodically, so that it is evenly heated. To determine the temperature, it is appropriate to use a thermometer for water. The volume of water is such that it slightly covers the body, and the head was open.
- When using decoctions of herbs or potassium permanganate solution, add them after filling the bath.
- Wash your hands well with soap, remove rings, bracelets so as not to scratch the baby. Set the time for the duration of bathing the baby.
- Gently undress the baby and slowly immerse it in water. For a more comfortable stay in the water, you can use a diaper. Gradually getting wet, she will wrap up the baby, he will be calmer, like a mother in her tummy (adaptive bathing of a newborn).
- When bathing a newborn, the door should be slightly ajar for a more comfortable stay of the baby in the water.
- Bathing the baby is best done together. It’s safer because the baby twitches actively, and it is also soapy. if this is not possible, then you can use various devices for bathing the newborn, for example, a hammock can come to the rescue. Additionally, joint bathing, when mother and father are in the bathroom with the baby, strengthens the connection between them, pacifies and makes the process more interesting.
- Newly made parents are afraid that the baby does not take a sip of water from the bathroom, but there is nothing to worry about.
- Young parents wonder how to keep a newborn while swimmingso that it is safe and convenient. In a large swimsuit, the baby can only be supported under the head, allowing the body to stay on its own or to keep fingers under the neck and armpits.
- So that the baby does not slip out, it is necessary to grasp the shoulder farthest from you and hold your hand in the armpit. The nape of the wrist. The other hand under the ass. In this position, lower and remove the baby from the water. After immersion in water, the legs can be left free.
How to bathe a newborn. Photo: rodivnizze.ru
- To wash, you can use the jet from the tap, how to hold the newborn - lay on the left wrist, face up, holding the leg with your fingers, and the second to wash.
How to keep a newborn under the tap. Photo: my-sunshine.ru
- At first, several times you can spend an adaptive bathing of the baby, which will help to get used to new conditions. To do this, they wrap him in a diaper and bathe right in her so that he plunges into a state close to being in his mother’s stomach.
- Wash the baby with his free hand: neck, chest, stomach, arms, armpits, legs, inguinal folds, back, and at the very end the head. Thoroughly rinse all wrinkles, open cams.
- Rinse the crotch very carefully. In girls: folds between the labia. In boys, gently wash the penis without moving the foreskin, scrotum, then the area around the anus.
- Wash the head gently, holding it with your hand and tilting it slightly. Pour water from the face to the back of the head. Rinse the folds behind the ears. In order to teach your baby to hold his breath and swim, you can pour some water from the back of your head to your forehead while bathing your newborn using marker words "Attention" or "one two Three" (you can think of it yourself).
- Pour the peanut with a bathing ladle after bathing (the temperature in it is 1 degree lower than the water in the bath).
- The frequency of bathing the baby does not depend on the degree of contamination, it is advisable to wash the newborn daily. In 2-3 months there is no need to use any gel cream, soap or shampoo, if the baby is not stained with feces, a warm jet from the tap is enough.
- After discharge, the child has a clothespin on her navel, and many parents doubt whether it is possible to bathe a newborn with her. It is supposed to solve this issue together with the pediatrician, if they decided to hold an event, then it is enough to adhere to the rules: heat water to 37 degrees, boil water, so as not to cause suppuration.
Is it possible to wet the navel and what to do if it gets wet, it is advisable to wait until it dries, gently pat it with a cotton swab and spread with peroxide or brilliant green.
- To cleanse the skin of a newborn, you can take a bathing sponge that gently cleanses, produces a light massage and will like crumbs. It can be used both alone and with a means for bathing a child.
- If during the bathing the baby got water in the ear, do not be afraid, for a start it is placed on one side so that the liquid flows out, and then on the second. You can use cotton swabs, thanks to which you can check for dampness in the ear canals. To avoid colds, it is advisable to put on a baby’s cap or hat.
- The time of bathing for the first time from a few minutes to 15, as will get used to. After a month, you can increase it to 20-30 minutes.
Important! If the baby has a blue nasolabial triangle, it is advisable to observe it. Children have a very delicate and thin dermis, through which blood vessels appear, therefore, in some cases, blueness is a natural reaction to tension, for example, with long crying. If concomitant symptoms appear, for example, wheezing during breathing or a runny nose, it is advisable to consult a pediatrician to find out.
Determined with temperature
Do not forget that your baby spent 9 months in the womb, where he was comfortable enough, comfortable and safe. The temperature of the water for bathing the newborn should be as close as possible to the temperature of the amniotic fluid, that is, no higher than 38 degrees. Pediatricians around the world strongly recommend adhering to 36.5-37 degrees.
Many parents are concerned about the drop in water temperature while bathing crumbs. But in this case, there is simply no reason for concern. The fact is that in the first months of a child’s life, bathing is a daily bedtime routine. Moreover, its duration is no more than 7-10 minutes: during this time, the water temperature simply will not have time to lower below the set value.
Air temperature in the bathroom when bathing a newborn baby
When bathing a newborn, a key role is played not only by the temperature indicators of water, but also directly by the air temperature in the bathroom. The best option is if the temperature is kept at a level of 24 to 26 degrees. If you temper a newborn, then the temperature in the bathroom during bathing may be lower: 21 - 23 °. Lowering the temperature below 21 in the room is not recommended.
Many parents believe that for bathing, the optimal temperature in the bathroom should be higher than that in the room of the newborn. However, it is not. The kid gets used to the temperature regime, so staying in a hot room can cause him to freeze under normal conditions in his room. If you are afraid that the child will freeze after water procedures, then it is better not to raise the temperature in the bathroom, and after the procedure, wrap the baby in a warm towel.
At what room temperature can a newborn be bathed during the period when he is sick, and whether it can be done at all, should be checked with a doctor. Do not carry out the procedure in this case until you consult with a specialist.
At what temperature in the room to carry out water procedures and what temperature regime of water to choose in order to bathe the newborn, the parents, after the recommendations received in the hospital, decide for themselves. However, remember that it is important not to overdo it with care: overheating affects a baby much worse than coolness.
It is believed that only boiled water should be used for a newly born person, especially if the baby has not yet healed the navel. In reality, this is not at all necessary. The recommendations of pediatricians say that running tap water is healthier than distilled.
Such water contains the necessary trace elements and bacteria that contribute to the early adaptation of the child to the environment.
Using running water it is important to understand how much it dries the skin. To prevent skin peeling in your baby, install filters and cleaners. If you decide to use water from the kettle, there is no need to boil it for too long - so there will not be a plentiful scum.
How to prepare water for swimming at the ideal temperature?
The process of preparing the bath for the baby is simple. You only need to consider the following rules:
- To bathe a very small child, it is recommended to boil the bath water, then cool,
- You can add a daisy or a series of
- The temperature of the water in the bath can be measured using a water thermometer,
To do this, put the thermometer on the bottom of the bath and then add water. Wait until the water has cooled to the required temperature, or dilute the water with chilled boiled water.
- It is necessary to stir the water so that the temperature of the entire liquid is uniform, then the thermometer will show the most reliable figure,
- The temperature of the water for bathing the newborn should not be higher than 38 degrees Celsius,
- If there is no water thermometer at hand, you can use the old "grandfather" method of measuring the temperature of the water in the bath for the baby,
Bend your arm and immerse your elbow joint in water. If the water temperature seemed comfortable for your elbow, then it is ideal for bathing your baby.
Interesting! The fact is that our skin in the elbow area is very sensitive. And if water seems normal to the palm of your hand, then for more sensitive parts of the body it may seem quite hot.
From time immemorial, many mothers measure the temperature of the water in the bath for bathing the baby with an elbow and are not mistaken.
- Since the daily bathing of the baby lasts no more than a few minutes, then do not worry that the water will cool and the baby will freeze. The total temperature of the water will drop by 1-2 degrees, which will not do any harm to the baby.
Important! Pay attention to how warm it is in the room where you bathe the newborn. The air temperature should not be lower than 25 degrees.
Thus, removing the baby from the bath, you do not run the risk of catching it. Read about what temperature should be in the room for a newborn >>>
On the principles of proper bathing of newborns, see the video:
How to check the temperature? Thermometer or Elbow
The easiest way is to buy a special bath with a built-in thermometer (see about types of baby baths) If this is not, you can use a special thermometer for water, which is sold in pharmacies. And finally you can use the "grandmother's method" - to measure the temperature with your own elbow. The skin on this part of the hand is especially delicate and sensitive to temperature changes. So, if you put your hand in the water of the temperature at which we used to swim, it will seem normal. If you lower your elbow into it, the water will seem very hot. So it will seem to the child. If, when lowering the elbow, water seems normal, this temperature will be ideal for the baby.
What you need for swimming
It is necessary to prepare for the procedure in advance, everything necessary should be at hand. A bath for bathing a child needs to be washed with soda, rinsed well with water, then rinsed with boiling water. For bathing the baby you will need the following tools and tools:
- water thermometer
- hypoallergenic shampoo or soap,
- a towel made from natural materials,
- blunt comb
- knit jumpsuit
- antiseptics for the treatment of umbilical wounds,
- baby oil or skin cream,
- cotton pads.
Bath for a newborn
In some cases, bathing a baby is not the best option, because the baby begins to cry and worry. In this case, a special small bathtub for a newborn is suitable - this is the best option, because the baby is in a limited space, like in my mother’s stomach and feels safe.
- Bath with stand makes life easier because it will be at the right height, it will be enough just to substitute a chair and sit next to it for washing.
- Folding the design is convenient and easy to use, safe, takes up little space, you can take it with you to the country or on a trip.
For ordinary bathtubs, special inserts will be required that will facilitate the washing process of the newborn.
Bath for bathing a newborn. Photo: profilaktika.tomsk.ru
What water to bathe a newborn baby in
Having decided on the temperature conditions of the bathroom and water, you need to find out in which water it is recommended to bathe a newborn child. Some parents buy distilled water as it is completely sterile. This option is impractical from the point of view of economy. If distilled water can still be used when bathing in children's baths, then for a large bathtub, where pediatricians recommend bathing babies, you won’t get enough purified water. Tap water is quite suitable for swimming, however, attention should be paid to its hardness, so that, if necessary, take measures aimed at softening the water, which contributes to the comfort of the baby during the procedure. Many install special filters on taps, which helps to purify water from harmful impurities. However, this is rarely associated with bathing a child: usually filters can be seen in those houses where people care about their health.
You can bathe a baby in tap water from the moment the navel heals. There is an opinion that it is the tap water that helps the baby quickly adapt to the conditions of the new environment, because various bacteria live in it, with which the person comes into contact throughout life. During the first baths, to ensure the disinfection of the umbilical wound, you can add a solution of sea salt to the water. It is possible to use medicinal herbs when bathing only after consulting with a doctor, since they have a strong effect on the child’s body, so it is important to know what can be used in each case and in what proportions.
Should I start to temper the baby when bathing?
Hardening is the training of the body's thermoregulation system. Measures for hardening crumbs should be short-lived and as natural as possible. Excessive zeal with hardening can lead to the opposite effect - the depletion of the protective reserves of the body.
Modern mothers argue about hardening the baby with the help of water procedures. Hardening, according to famous pediatricians, is useful, but if the baby is very small, then pouring cold water should not experiment.
We organize the optimum temperature
Making water perfect for swimming is a simple matter. It is enough to arm yourself with a water thermometer, and then everything is simple.
- Pour cold water into the bath.If the child is not two weeks old, it is pre-boiled and cooled for several hours.
- We put a thermometer in it.
- Add hot water gradually until the thermometer shows 36-37. It is in the cold you need to add hot!
- In order for the thermometer to tell the truth, you need to stir the water all the time.
Do I need to boil water for bathing a newborn
There is an opinion that water for bathing a newborn baby should always be boiled: is it really necessary to do this, is it necessary to bathe a newborn baby only in boiled water? This is one of the most common myths that a young mother encounters. When asked whether it is necessary to boil tap water for bathing a newborn, pediatricians answer that it is advisable to do this only in the first few water procedures. How long to bathe a newborn in boiled water depends on the healing speed of the umbilical wound. Usually she heals on the 18-22 day of the baby's life. Water is boiled only in order to prevent infection from entering the wound; after healing, such actions become inappropriate.
How long does boil tap water for the first bath of the newborn? If you decide to boil water for bathing a newborn baby, then you need to keep it on the stove for as long as necessary for direct boiling, after which you can pour water into the bathroom and wait until it cools down to a suitable temperature.
The use of boiled water for baby procedures is accompanied by a lot of inconvenience. Will you bathe the newborn in boiled water, and how much it will continue to decide for yourself. Many pediatricians agree that in unboiled water you can bathe a newborn from the first days of life. This helps to strengthen his immunity and saves mom from unnecessary trouble. To avoid the formation of inflammatory reactions on an unhealed wound, you can use special infusions of medicinal herbs that provide disinfection. If you decide to boil water, then do it only in the first twenty days, after the healing of the navel, such an undertaking will be useless.
Pouring cold water and immunity
Pouring cold water is stress, an unnatural event for a child. The grown-up baby will actively resist the desire of the adult to pour water of unpleasant temperature on him.
On a note! According to the observations of experienced parents, in families practicing forced hardening, children are not sick much less.
Children should enjoy and enjoy the nightly bathing. Instead, they begin to be afraid of swimming, tensing up, waiting for a trick from adults when taking water procedures. In order not to harm the psychological balance and health of the baby, it is worth starting hardening with natural methods, but not with cold water.
Getting ready for a swim
We already figured out what should be the temperature of the water for bathing a newborn baby, it remains only to understand how to provide it. First of all, buy in a specialized store, or better, a pharmacy thermometer to determine the temperature of the water. In order to achieve the optimal value, we recommend that you follow a certain sequence of actions:
- pour cold water into the bathtub for bathing, lower the thermometer into it to determine the temperature,
- gradually add hot water until the thermometer rises to the set value.
Important! In the process of preparing the bath for more accurate readings, be sure to mix the water.
To temper or not?
No one doubts the benefits of hardening and its positive effect on the baby's immunity. Some advise even the smallest to bathe at 25-26 degrees. In fact, this is not only not necessary for newborns, but sometimes harmful: too cold water can harm the child and discourage any interest in water procedures. It is better to wait a couple of months with hardening until the thermoregulation mechanisms are formed. If you want to start now, you need to start from 36-37 degrees and cool the water by 1-2 degrees in 3-4 days. But in any case, the air temperature in the room where the baby is bathed should be at least 27 degrees so that the baby does not freeze.
Personal video greetings from Santa Claus
But the most important thing in bathing is to listen to the baby himself, because his needs and opinions may not coincide with the theories of pediatricians!
The first bath is not scary!
Is it worth tempering a child
Many pediatricians urge young and modern parents to harden children, that is, to bathe their babies at a water temperature of 30 degrees. Even if you decide to resort to these recommendations, it is important to remember one simple rule - moderation and accuracy. It is necessary to lower the temperature of the water gradually, each time lowering it by 1 degree, otherwise you can simply discourage your baby from wanting to take water procedures.
It is important to understand that inflicting time on a child can be not only too cold, but also excessively hot water. That is why, if you consider yourself to be supporters of traditional methods of child care, have a positive attitude to tempering, then take the temperature of 37 degrees as a starting point - optimal temperature for bathing a newborn babyand then, if desired, gradually reduce it.
In the process of preparing for water procedures, it is important to consider not only the temperature of the water, but also the air in the room. To ensure that your baby does not freeze after only a pleasant procedure for him, ensure that the air temperature in the bathroom is at least 28 degrees and, of course, prepare a soft warm towel in advance.
We sincerely hope that our tips and tricks will help you prepare for your first bath, as well as provide your baby with all the necessary conditions for the most comfortable and enjoyable procedure.
Slide for bathing a newborn
The plastic slide is convenient to use, as the anatomical shape repeats the bends of the body, the baby sits tightly in it and this does not cause him any inconvenience, and the palms of the person will be free. From what age can you use a slide for bathing a newborn - from birth, because it is safe, prevents the baby from falling out and makes it possible to control the situation. There are also fabric slides for swimming - they are a metal frame on which the fabric is stretched. However, many parents prefer plastic or anatomical, because they are safer, the crumbs do not fall out of them, do not slip.
Circle for bathing a newborn
Not so long ago, it became popular to wear a circle for babies. Since how many months you can spend bathing a newborn in a circle - doctors advise starting to use the device from 1.5 months.
Before putting on a circle for bathing on the neck of a newborn, it is useful to introduce him to it; for this, you can let him touch it and then put it on. How to wear a circle:
- carefully, on the back, part the latches,
- put on your neck
- bring the pieces together and adjust the fit so that there is little space left
- the chin should lie in a special groove.
Despite the fact that bathing a baby with a circle around his neck is safe, it is not advisable to leave him alone in the room even for a short period of time. Young parents are also worried about the question of whether such a circle does harm to the newborn. If you choose a high-quality product, then its use will only benefit, because it improves and enhances its development.
Circle for bathing a newborn. Photo: kpoxa.info
Mattress for bathing a newborn
For bathing in large volumes, you can use a mattress that has an anatomical shape, keeps afloat and can withstand a child weighing from 3 to 8 kg. You can not use oil-based cosmetics while bathing the baby, and after the event the mattress is thoroughly dried.
Newborn baby bathing cap
The cap for babies is a cotton hat on which foam inserts are sewn. The essence of this dress is to support the baby’s head - this will affect his ability to stay in the waves, develop the muscles of his back and limbs. However, this does not mean that the pean will not need to be supported, because it can turn over and swallow fluids.
A foam cap can be bought at any store, or you can make it yourself; this does not require much time and effort.
A cap with foam for bathing a newborn. Photo: ladysarafan.ru
Collar for bathing a newborn
For bathing a baby, a collar is also suitable, which is worn around the neck and keeps it afloat in a large font, pool or sea. Such a device will last up to six months and help the baby hold her head, and then the body. However, one should be careful, because an inflatable collar can be harmful, for example, if a baby learns to get her feet to the bottom, this will lead to a violation of coordination.
Pillow and net for bathing babies
For swimming in a large bath, a newborn will have a bathing pillow, thanks to which he will stay, but it is not advisable to leave the child alone, because it’s easy to slip off and swallow water. For a small volume, a grid is suitable in which the baby feels comfortable, does not slip and holds confidently.
Herbs for bathing a newborn
Pediatricians advise to add decoctions of herbs for bathing the baby.
- Chamomile is the most popular antiseptic plant that treats problems with the gastrointestinal tract, boosts immunity, fights against germs and pathogens, and is also great for bathing a newborn. It reduces inflammation, soothes the epidermis. To prepare the broth, it is enough to pour a tablespoon of flowers with a liter of boiling water, let it brew and strain.
- Since ancient times, parents have used a series for bathing newborns. The grass copes with itching, inflammation and urticaria, it is recommended to arrange such manipulations no more than 2 times a week. To prepare the broth, take 150 g of crushed grass, sprinkle, boil, insist.
- Sage for bathing a baby has a beneficial effect on inflammation, irritation, the effects of diathesis and prickly heat. To prepare a tablespoon of herbs, pour a glass of boiling water and leave to infuse, after which sage infusion is filtered.
- Thanks to its antiseptic and anti-inflammatory effects, calendula is suitable for washing, because it reduces the activity of pathogenic bacteria, heals wounds, relieves muscle cramps and does not cause allergies.
- Celandine decoction fights with various skin diseases, relieves itching and burning. Before use, it will be appropriate to visit a doctor and get permission and recommendations from him. For cooking, take 2 tablespoons of flowers per 0.5 l of boiling water, after they insist.
- Bathing a newborn in a bay leaf relieves allergic manifestations and soothes the dermis. For cooking, take 10 leaves of laurel, add boiling water to a liter and boil for 10 minutes, after infusion, apply.
To normalize sleep, you can use soothing herbs for bathing the newborn.
- Lavender pacifies the nervous system of the baby, disinfects, improves well-being and improves sleep.
- Mint for bathing is also useful as an infusion, as pacifies excitement and normalizes sleep.
Need to know! For bathing the baby, they use sea salt, which contains iodine, which means it improves the functioning of the endocrine system, reduces sweating, relieves stress and sets you up for a pleasant sleep. The temperature should not exceed 35 degrees, take 5 tablespoons of salt, after 10-15 minutes the baby is pulled out and rinsed under the tap.
Means for bathing a newborn
After the bathing of the baby for the first time after discharge from the hospital, mothers and fathers think whether it is mandatory to use soap or shampoo. Doctors recommend them to be used only for cleaning contaminants, for example, foam for newborns.
- French brand Mustela developed a bath gel that is suitable for use from the first days of life and is hypoallergenic. It cleanses the skin, softens it, prevents it from drying out and does not cause irritation.
- Weleda Is a manufacturer of organic cosmetics and they have released a series of products suitable for children that soften, relieve inflammation, and set up a healthy sleep.
- Emolium suitable for use with very dry dermis, shown from the beginning of life. This product is suitable for infants with atopic dermatitis, psoriasis or other skin diseases.
- German company Bubchen For years he has been collaborating with pediatricians, collecting important information and inventing cosmetics especially for newborns. It does not cause irritation, soothes inflammation and boosts immunity.
- In addition, some practice potassium permanganate for bathing a baby, so you need to know how much to add. How to dilute potassium permanganate for bathing a newborn: DO NOT throw crystals of the substance into the bath, place 5-7 crystals in a glass, pour hot water (does not dissolve in cold), mix to completely dissolve the crystals, strain through cheesecloth, check to see if it remains at the bottom crystals. The solution is pink-purple. Gently add to the bath without a child, make sure that the water becomes evenly slightly pink. There are both opponents of this method and advocates, some argue that the solution disinfects the epidermis, promotes the healing of the umbilical wound, fights diaper rash, and others that it is poison for the child’s body.
Interesting fact! Dr. Komarovsky clearly stated that bathing a newborn in a solution of potassium permanganate does not bring much benefit, but can lead to burns of the mucous membrane and poisoning if this product is not properly diluted.
What to do after bathing the newborn
- After the bathing is finished, gently pat the skin and wrap it in a towel with a hood or corner that will protect the baby from the common cold.
- All creases should be dried well.
- Treat the umbilical wound.
- After bathing, the epidermis of the baby must be smeared with something, for example, cream or oil. In addition, it is important to carefully treat the folds of the baby and grease them with powder, oil or cream to avoid diaper rash. For these purposes, a baby cream, Bepanten ointment, is well suited.
- If the newborn's skin is peeling after bathing, it is advisable to abandon the solution of potassium permanganate and cosmetics, and after the procedure, use oil and cream, which will soften and moisturize the layers of the dermis.
- After wiping, put on a newborn’s cap, a diaper and wrap it in warm diapers. It must be remembered that the baby holds the temperature for about 15 minutes. Do not remove the cap until the hairs are dry.
- Next, you can feed the baby and put to bed.
Interesting! The best advice for caring for young children before, during and after taking a bath was provided by the Union of Pediatricians of Russia in recommendations for skin care.
Despite what kind of bathing kit the parents choose, the main thing is to maintain the cleanliness of the epidermis of the newborn. Regular bathing of the newborn not only cleanse the skin, but also participate in the physical development of the child, as well as improving his psycho-emotional state. Water sessions relax the body, relieve colic, muscle cramps and develop.
Hardening should be a continuation of the child’s lifestyle, the so-called self-hardening:
- Walking barefoot
- Walking naked in the summer or in ventilated, not overheated rooms,
- Lack of over-wrap,
- Washing, rubbing and spraying with water at a contrasting temperature,
- Summer swimming.
Self-tempering procedures enter the life of a small person on his own initiative, through the game, pampering. The task of parents is to support the experiments of a small person and secure them.
If in the warm season the baby plays with water, he likes to shower and indulge - this can be a natural start to hardening procedures. In this case, independent manipulations of the growing child with water will have a useful effect to strengthen immunity. While pouring unprepared crumbs with cold water will not bring benefits, but only harm the physical and psychological immunity of the child.
Remember! Children copy adults and sooner or later they will surely connect to the exercises that dad does in the morning, to a healthy lifestyle and hardening.
If dousing with cold water after jogging or intense charging in the family is practiced by parents, then for a child from the age of three such procedures will also become a natural process.
How to measure the temperature of water
The temperature of the baby’s bathing water can be measured in 2 ways. The first is outdated and unreliable, although it was tested by our mothers and grandmothers.
An elbow was taken as a measuring device. It is believed that the skin in this area of the body is very sensitive and best recognizes heat or cold.
This method has lost its relevance, since skin receptors in newborns are different from adults. Suitable the temperature of the bathing water for newborns will seem cold to a mature person.
Another way is a special thermometer for water. It is able to determine the exact temperature of the water in a few seconds and can be used throughout the process. All you need is to place in the water and wait until it shows the necessary temperature for bathing the baby.
Signs of heat stroke
Parents are more afraid of “freezing” infants than overheating, but in vain. After all, metabolic processes in their body are accompanied by the generation of a large amount of heat. You need to get rid of its excess, but it is impossible to do it under a warm blanket or in a wool jacket.
Sometimes in infants, body temperature rises to 37.5 ° C, this is a completely normal situation. Some doctors argue that it is enough to confuse a newborn just a few times, and he will have a disruption in heat transfer.
Overheating of the body provokes the development of heat stroke. This is a very dangerous condition for the baby’s body, as it develops a number of complications that can even lead to death. At moments of overheating, the child may experience the following symptoms:
- hyperemia of the skin,
- increased sweating
- a sharp rise in temperature (sometimes it rises to 38.4 ° C).
During a heat stroke, a child’s fever can last up to 2 days. With hyperthermia, the child has vomiting. Her appearance indicates an average degree of heat stroke. In this case, you need to urgently call an ambulance. Before the doctor arrives, the child needs to be given plenty of fluids. You can make a compress on the forehead with a small amount of salt (for 0.5 l of water 1 tsp. Of kitchen salt). The water temperature should not be low, but slightly higher than room temperature, so as not to cause reflex spasm of blood vessels.
You can find out how much and at what temperature you need to bathe a newborn baby at the doctor
Older children love to swim, but babies often protest when they are carried to the bath and lowered into the water. To calm the baby, in a quiet affectionate voice, hum him the amusement while swimming.
Download and print all the nursery rhymes - https://yadi.sk/i/GrLzCqoQgKEFg
Who will be the coupe,
In the bath, quickly jump, jump, jump,
in the bath with a leg jerk-jerk, jerk!
Soap will foam
And the dirt is missing somewhere.
We swim, we splash
And we have fun in the water!
Leg up, leg down!
Knob up, knob down!
Twist the legs
And we swim like a whale!
Pooh Pooh! Bang bang!
Let's get out!
Gently and carefully lather the baby with a soft bathing mitten or sponge, singing a song or talking to a nursery rhyme:
We will go swimming
And splashing in the water
It will be a tiny wash.
We wash the legs
To our sweet baby
The back and tummy,
Face and mouth -
My dear son!
Aw, frets, frets,
We are not afraid of water,
Wash your face
Mom is smiling.
The child is growing
With goose water -
From a child of thinness.
And the child is up.
Wash my face
So that the eyes look
To cheeks blush
To laugh mouth
To bite a tooth.
The fish lived in the lake,
Sailed to us with you. (At the same time, move your hand under the water, as if a fish were swimming).
Baby we will wash
We will fish.
Water is not cold for us.
Where is the fish? Here she is! (quietly spray some water on the baby)
Do you want to be the first to read our materials? Subscribe to our telegram channel
Air temperature when bathing a newborn
When bathing a baby, it is important to monitor not only the temperature of the water in the bath, but also the temperature of the air in the room. For the healthy development of the baby, the temperature in the bathroom should be comfortable for him, that is, 22-24 ° C. At this temperature, the baby and mother will feel comfortable. While bathing, it is recommended that you leave the door to the bathroom open, but take care of the absence of drafts. This will prevent a sharp drop in air temperature when leaving the room where the child was swimming.
An average degree of heat stroke requires treatment that only a doctor can prescribe
The duration of water procedures depends on the age of the child. If we are talking about how to bathe a newborn for the first time, then the time the baby is in water should not exceed 2-3 minutes. In the second month of life, the duration of water procedures can be increased to 5 minutes. Children older than six months can swim for up to 20-30 minutes. Pediatricians recommend bathing children in the evening before bedtime.
Immediately after bathing, the baby is wrapped in a warm diaper and a terry towel or blanket. In the child’s room they gently wipe, all the folds are sprinkled with baby powder or treated with cream. Then the baby is put on a hat, sliders and a vest. After the bath procedures, the baby needs to be fed, as he is most likely very hungry. After feeding, the mother should put the baby to sleep. If you follow this procedure, the child will quickly get used to the regimen daily, it will be easier to fall asleep and sleep better all night.
To keep the baby's body clean, it is enough to bathe him 2-3 times a week. Infants still do not have excessive activity and the ability to get dirty anywhere, even where, it would seem, there is no dirt, like babies from 1 to 3 years. Therefore, if water procedures are due to purely hygienic motives, then such a periodicity will be quite enough.
Decoctions of herbs
Most pediatricians do not recommend bathing babies in bathtubs with herbal or other additives, unless there are special indications. The thing is that the skin of babies is very sensitive to the effects of various irritants. Many herbs have a drying effect on the skin. Even the most seemingly harmless weed can provoke the development of allergic reactions in the children's body.
In some cases, pediatricians prescribe herbal baths. They are useful for diathesis, diaper rash, hypertonicity, etc. The most common types of herbs:
- Nettle softens delicate skin, promotes hair growth, has an anti-inflammatory effect, improves the condition of the entire body of the baby.
- A series for bathing newborns reduces the rash, helps with crusts on the head, but also dries the skin. You can’t swim in it more often 1-2 times a week.
- Bearberry and motherwort will save you from colic and help regulate bowel function.
- Chamomile for bathing newborns relieves irritation on the skin, reduces itching, gently soothes anxious children, and has a good effect on the girl’s urogenital system.
- St. John's wort is useful for boys. In addition, it heals wounds, helps with diathesis.
- Lavender and Valerian are recommended for troubled babies. They improve sleep, relieve cramps, are effective in rashes.
Herbs prescribed by a doctor are best obtained at a pharmacy. One Art. l medicinal raw materials are brewed in 0.5 l of liquid. To do this, it is better to use earthenware or enameled dishes. Aluminum pans can not be used, since the metal reacts with the components of the drug.
After boiling, the broth is infused for at least an hour. After the specified time, the extract is filtered through cheesecloth. 30-50 ml of infusion are poured into the bath. Before applying the broth, you need to test. To do this, this solution is applied to a small area of the skin of the baby, if there is no allergic reaction, the product can be used for bathing.
Tip. For bathing a newborn, only freshly prepared herbs are used. In baths with additives, you should not bathe your baby more often than 3 times a week.
Crying during and after swimming
Kids love to swim, since water is their element, it has a sedative effect. Sometimes there may be such cases when the child during the period of water procedures begins to be capricious, cry. What's the matter?
The main reasons for this behavior are as follows:
- temperature condition is violated,
- Large bathroom
- discomfort in the bath
- sharp immersion in water,
- the appearance of teeth
- problems of nutritional and neurological nature,
- wrong time for water procedures (baby hungry or sleepy).
There are several factors due to which the baby cries after bathing:
- a sharp change in temperature
- hunger and thirst for drink
- overabundance of emotions
- fear of the unknown
- severe itching with skin manifestations of allergic reactions,
- pain syndrome,
- tiredness and desire to sleep,
- Too high or low water temperature.
When bathing babies, experts recommend adhering to several simple rules:
- it’s better to bathe the baby an hour after feeding,
- monitor the temperature of water and air in the room,
- do not bathe the child on the day of vaccination,
- do not lather large areas of the body, as the baby can simply slip out of her hands,
- for bathing use only high-quality hypoallergenic cosmetics for children.
Bathing for a child is not only one of the elements of his daily routines, but also the first step to adult development. Such a familiar lesson for us brings undeniable benefits to the baby. For example, water quenching is much milder than air. In addition, water procedures relieve muscle tone and eliminate colic.
Choose a thermometer
The basic requirement for a thermometer is its safety. A children's thermometer for water should be made of durable, non-toxic plastic. Commonly used types of thermometers:
The first type is more unsafe, because during operation the thermometer can be accidentally damaged than create a real threat to the whole family.
When using an electronic thermometer, the water temperature for bathing a newborn baby will be set as quickly as possible. Such a tool will become an indispensable tool for mothers.
Most thermometers are made in the shape of your favorite characters and decorated with bright colors. The baby, under the close supervision of her mother, can use the item as a toy while taking a bath.
Frequency and duration of water procedures
After birth, the baby’s skin is protected for a long time by a unique natural mask - a mixture of sebum and a yeast-like substance. It helps to adapt more easily to a new environment until the skin becomes less sensitive.
It is difficult for babies to get dirty to the extent that the body of an adult is contaminated. Pediatricians in their practice advise to make 2-3 sessions of bathing procedures per week.
The duration of the first bath is 10-15 minutes. Subsequent procedures can be extended up to 40 minutes.
Classes begin as soon as the navel of the baby heals.. For the first 2-3 times it is recommended to invite an instructor, and the parents themselves should carefully monitor how the exercises are done.
To temper the baby or not - the question is purely individual. Parents must decide for themselves whether it is worth using such healing methods from such a young age. If you decide to take this step, remember:
- hardening is the most effective way to increase the resistance of the child's body to various diseases,
- carried out systematically, without interruptions,
- it is necessary to temper gradually, with a gradual decrease in the degree,
- the child should be in a cheerful mood.
Herbs and remedies
You can use:
- traditional potassium permanganate for disinfection,
- a decoction of chamomile and a string,
- decoction of oak bark,
- nettle broth,
- sea salt,
- baby soap
- shampoo for babies (used from 2-4 weeks after birth).
It is not recommended to add herbs without consulting a doctor, as they can cause an allergic reaction.