We all love summer for an abundance of fruits, vegetables and berries. Most of all berries I love strawberries. But, unfortunately, it pleases not so long with its taste and aroma. Of course, you can make delicious jam for the winter. I wrote about the best recipes for strawberry jam in a previous article. But much more useful, and faster to freeze the berry. It stores more vitamins and when cooking we use less sugar, but you can do without it at all.
Frozen berries can be used in different ways. These tender juicy fruits are universal: they are suitable as a filling for all types of desserts, pastries, yoghurts, as well as for decorating, for example, ice cream or alcoholic cocktails.
But not everything is as simple as it might seem at first glance. Freezing Victoria for the winter has its own characteristics and secrets. So, let's begin.
Strawberries can be frozen in three different ways:
- freeze whole berries
- freeze strawberries with sugar (if a large berry can be cut into pieces)
- grind in a blender or mash with sugar
In order to choose the right method of freezing, it is better to decide in advance which dishes the berry will go to. I do not like just thawed Victoria, she is very watery. Most often, it goes on making fresh mashed potatoes (crushed with sugar) or on compotes. Therefore, I often freeze sliced in containers, sprinkled with sugar a little. In this form, it takes up less space than the whole.
- Always use quality and carefully selected berries.
- Work only with clean, dry, odorless dishes, new bags, and cling film.
- Try to minimize processing time and freeze strawberries as quickly as possible.
- Never work with wet berries.
- Do not leave strawberries open for more than 24 hours in the freezer.
- Freeze in sections for quick freezing.
- Observe the temperature conditions recommended by the manufacturer of your household appliances and do not store berries in the quick-freezing sections, but only in compartments for long-term storage.
- Never freeze strawberries repeatedly.
Choosing the right berries
To freeze strawberries qualitatively, to enjoy the taste of your favorite summer berry all winter and not to be disappointed in this storage method, first of all you need to take care about the correct choice of strawberries.
In no case do not freeze:
- overripe or unripe berries
- damaged, crushed strawberries,
- too large strawberries
- Berries harvested or marketed first and last.
If you want to succeed, try to choose small or at least medium, dry and dense berries and give preference to varieties with a dark color of pulp. They are distinguished by improved characteristics for transportation, long-term storage and freezing.
Rules for the preparation of berries:
- Carefully sort strawberries intended for freezing and immediately discard all overripe, crumpled and damaged berries.
- It depends on which strawberry you use, whether it’s your own or purchased, before you freeze it. If you use homemade strawberries and it is clean, do not wash it, but simply sort and separate the contaminated one. Rinse and dry the market berries. Wash them not under running water, but in a large bowl, handle berries as carefully as possible.
- Let the water drain using a plastic or aluminum (but not iron) colander or strainer, or better take the berries out with your hands in small portions.
- Lay strawberries in a single layer on paper or cloth towels. In no case do not freeze it wet, just washed.
Do not remove stalks before freezing in strawberries, if possible. It is this mistake that is the main reason that the strawberry completely loses its shape, becomes too watery and after defrosting it turns into an ordinary pulp or slimy mashed potatoes with a huge amount of water.
Saving space is not such a big advantage (and relative) to sacrifice quality in favor of dubious arguments. Of course, after defrosting, the stalks will have to be removed and if this does not suit you, then remove them from berries that you plan to use not in compotes.
How to prepare strawberries with sugar for the winter?
Strawberries in sugar, harvesting without heat treatment, preserves the maximum amount of valuable elements. From it in the winter make a hot drink, add to baking or eat just like that with a piece of bread, or with pancakes.
- Strawberries with sugar, not boiled for the winter, are prepared in several ways. It can be scrolled through a meat grinder, punched with a blender, wiped through a sieve and mixed with sugar.
- Pour whole berries or sliced into slices directly in a jar in layers. During storage, it releases juice.
- It is important to seal such a preparation until the sugar begins to melt. So conservation will stay longer.
- Store raw strawberries in the refrigerator for no more than one year.
- Strawberries with sugar are frozen for the winter only after complete drying, you can use paper towels. In winter, stewed fruit is cooked from it, filled with pastries or dumplings, and various desserts are decorated with whole berries.
Why frozen strawberries are so popular
Fresh strawberries, of course, contain more vitamins, however, even after freezing, they remain useful.
- It is in this product that a large amount of vitamin C is present. Scientists have proven that in five berries it is as much as in one orange.
- Strawberries contain useful substances necessary to maintain normal functioning of the body: folic acid, B vitamins, sodium, potassium, calcium and dietary fiber.
- The natural sweetness of the berry will undoubtedly appeal to the children, and its unique aroma can instantly arouse appetite and save it from depression.
- It is strawberries that are an excellent hypoglycemic and help release the body from toxins and toxins.
In the absence of allergies, strawberries can be used as a valuable component in the preparation of various home-made cosmetics. But this requires berries frozen without the use of sugar. In addition, the product has several other advantages:
- strawberries can be enjoyed regardless of the season,
- Frozen berries contain less cadmium, lead and pesticides,
- bacteria that are harmful to the human body cannot develop in them,
- useful ingredients in frozen berries are only slightly less than in fresh ones, while the taste and unmatched aroma are preserved,
- frozen strawberries are an excellent addition to ready-made cereals, cottage cheese, milkshakes, ice cream and yoghurts, and stewed fruit from it is a real vitamin pantry,
- this product makes excellent mousses, sauces and jellies that can become a real decoration of the table, as well as fillings for biscuit cakes, muffins and yeast pies.
Frozen Strawberries Preserve Many Vitamins
Can strawberries be frozen, does it lose its beneficial properties?
Many are interested in the question: “Does strawberry lose its beneficial properties during freezing?”. Be calm, as with other fruits and vegetables, freezing strawberries helps preserve its nutrients. But it is worth noting that the benefits of frozen strawberries for the body will not be so great if stored in a freezer for more than one year.
Strawberries are not only tasty berries, but also very healthy. Here is how many nutrients are in one cup of strawberries (approximately 160-170 grams):
- Calories: 53 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 12.75
- Proteins: 1.11 g
- Calcium: 27 mg
- Iron: 0.68 mg
- Potassium: 254 mg
- Magnesium: 22 mg
- Phosphorus: 40 mg
- Vitamin C: 97.60 mg
For those who did not know, strawberries have a positive effect on many body systems, in particular, it improves heart function, reduces the risk of stroke and cancer, normalizes the functioning of the nervous system, reduces the risk of diabetes, is a means to lower high blood pressure, and also boosts immunity.
Best ways to freeze strawberries
There are four main methods for freezing strawberries in the refrigerator freezer:
- In containers or bags.
- Quick freezing of berries without folding them in containers.
- Freezing in sugar.
- Harvesting strawberry puree.
Let's get acquainted with the features of each method closer.
How to freeze strawberries
Freezing is the fastest and most convenient way to harvest for the winter. You do not need to stand for hours at the stove, preventing jam, so that it does not burn, pour it into banks, spending time sterilizing them, roll up, and then look for a place to store preservation. But despite the apparent ease of the freezing process, there are many nuances that must be taken into account in order to eat a berry as it was before freezing in winter:
- which strawberry to choose for long-term storage,
- how to prepare the berry for freezing: peel and dry,
- in which container to store.
There are several ways to freeze. You can use all at the same time or choose one option that suits most. It depends on the ultimate goals - what the product will be used for: in baking, decorating desserts, as a separate dish, etc.
Pounded strawberries with sugar for the winter
Grated strawberries with sugar are not prepared quickly, sometimes even tiring. The result is a delicious delicacy with a uniform, pitted consistency and excellent natural taste. The blank can be used as a natural topping for ice cream, pancakes or fritters.
- Wash strawberries, sort, remove ponytails.
- Wipe through a sieve.
- Sprinkle with sugar, transfer to sterilized jars, seal tightly.
- Strawberries and sugar are stored for the winter, not boiled in the refrigerator.
How much and under what conditions is frozen berry stored
At home, frozen strawberries are mainly used for storage of freezers, which ensure an optimal temperature of -18 ° C. In such conditions, it can be kept for no more than 8–9 months.
Sometimes products stored in domestic refrigerators can be subjected to untimely defrosting, for example, due to an unscheduled outage. Thawed berries cannot be re-frozen and can be harmful to health. The optimal solution in this situation will be a complete defrosting of the product, after which the strawberries must be cooked. Then the cooled berries can be frozen again.
A great place to store strawberries is the freezer
Berry preparation is no less crucial stage
First, they must be hydrotreated. In other words, they will need to be washed. This must be done carefully so as not to damage the raw materials, and quickly so that the berries do not absorb excess moisture.
Wash them with the stalks. You can, for example, take a large bowl or pan, fill 1/3 of them with water, pour strawberries into it and add the required amount of water from above. It should be clean and cool.
Using light hand movements, rinse the fruits in water, then - collect them carefully and transfer to another dish. Spoiled berries, as a rule, go to the bottom, so it is better to throw them away, or to scrutinize scrupulously.
So strawberries can be washed 1-2 times. Secondly, it will be necessary, after completion of the washing process, to remove the stalks, leaving only the berries, which will be frozen.
In containers, containers and bags
This method of preserving strawberries in the freezer is rightly called fast. It is not too gentle, but reliable, however, it requires a considerable place and poorly retains the shape of berries. The main advantages of such a blank:
- Preservation of palatability.
- Lack of injury during repeated shifting.
- Creating a stable environment is already at the initial stage, and therefore, better storage.
- Save time and effort.
For freezing use:
- plastic and disposable containers and trays,
- special containers for freezing,
- plastic bags and plastic bags for freezing,
- cropped plastic bottles.
Freezing in bags in many ways loses to plastic dishes. Plastic bags allow you to save space and lay strawberries after freezing more productively, but cellophane with prolonged freezing loses some protective properties:
- easily torn and damaged
- does not provide good protection against injury to berries,
- does not impede the full penetration of air,
- does not protect against temperature fluctuations.
When freezing strawberries in separate containers or bags, you must remember the basic rules:
- From the very beginning, strawberries must be divided into portions sufficient to consume the berries at a time. In no case should it be frozen repeatedly, so after removing the container or bag, you will need to use the berries immediately.
- All containers for strawberry freezing should be selected according to the size of the portion and carefully prepared, washed and dried. Ensure bag integrity and tightness of ties or as a closing mechanism.
- If you use containers, then fill them with berries, trying to fill the container as densely as possible. Close the lids and place the containers in the freezer in the quick-freeze compartment.
- For freezing in packets, put a serving of berries in them, release all the air and place the strawberries in the freezer.
- After freezing, transfer containers and bags to the storage section.
Defrosting options for this method:
- at room temperature without removing from the container,
- slow defrosting on the top shelf of the refrigerator,
- in the microwave.
What strawberries to choose for freezing
The final result depends on which berry is selected for harvesting for the winter, namely, what the product will be after defrosting. Strawberries should be selected according to the following parameters:
- it should be solid without any damage,
- You should not choose too soft strawberries. The fruit should be resilient, but at the same time ripened and have a saturated uniform color.
- No clear dirt and sand.
Chemical treated strawberries, too, no one wants to feed their family. Especially when it comes to children. There are two ways to check if a berry has been treated with harmful substances.
- Dip it in warm water. Greasy stains on the surface mean that strawberries were treated with definol for better preservation and attractive appearance.
- Flip the fruit up and let it fall onto a hard surface. After the impact, a little juice should come out. If it was not there, then the berry was chemically treated.
If even after all the checks there are doubts, then the following information will reassure. Frozen fruits contain less harmful substances: heavy metals, lead and pesticides. This is explained by the following: in the process of freezing, these substances are concentrated in ice. When a product is defrosted, harmful impurities remain in the water formed after the ice has melted and do not enter the body.
It is better to freeze the fruits that have just been picked from the bush. But not everyone has the opportunity to collect fresh berries from their site. Before buying, strawberries should be stored for no more than two days. To determine whether this is so, her appearance will help. Fruits should be dry and not crumpled. Another additional parameter of freshness is stickiness.Two connected berries should not stick to each other. Otherwise, such a strawberry is not suitable for freezing.
Strawberries with sugar in a blender for the winter
Strawberries with sugar in a blender are simply and quickly prepared. This method will not save small seeds, but the result will be excellent. The amount of sugar can only be reduced if it is decided to store the workpiece in the freezer. And if you need to keep a fresh berry, sugar will act as a natural preservative and will not allow the workpiece to ferment in a cool place.
- Wash strawberries, peel the tails, pour into a bowl.
- Punch with a submersible blender.
- Pour sugar, mix and immediately distribute in a sterile container.
- Seal hermetically, keep in the refrigerator.
How to defrost strawberries
Before consuming frozen berries, it is very important to treat the defrosting process responsibly, which must be carried out correctly.
- To defrost strawberries, you can use airtight containers that must be immersed in cold water for 45 minutes.
- An even better option is to place the berries in a regular refrigerator compartment with a temperature of 4 ° C. In this case, the defrosting process may take about 7 hours. This will keep the original shape and taste of the berries.
How to freeze whole strawberries and slices
- Wash the strawberries thoroughly in water, and then place them in a colander for several minutes so that the water escapes. Small berries are best left whole, and large fruits are cut in half or 4 parts. In those berries, which we will divide into segments, it is worth cutting green tails. There is no need to do this with whole strawberries, otherwise they will fill up with water, and eventually become sour and lose vitamin C.
- Spread whole and peeled strawberries in one layer on a baking sheet, plates or a clean towel. Allow to lie down for 20-30 minutes
- Place the berries on a baking sheet and send into the freezer for about 10-16 hours. This freezing method ensures that the berries do not stick together.
- Transfer frozen strawberries in special bags or containers, then put them back in the chamber.
- Whole or sliced strawberries can be stored in the freezer for up to six months, after which you can eat berries, but their quality will be worse.
Instant freeze whole strawberries
This is a simple, but far from the fastest and highest-quality way to freeze strawberries. It involves placing strawberries in the freezer directly without any containers or bags. If the berries do not touch each other, their shape is ideally preserved, but when frozen without unfolding the berries one at a time, they are severely injured.
As a result of quick freezing and virtually freezing of all aromatic substances, berries significantly lose their taste and aroma, and after defrosting, they do not hold their natural shape. Strawberries frozen by this method are always more watery, but the berries do not stick together, they can be used in the right amount, and not pulled out the entire portion.
The freezing process itself is simple:
- A film is lined at the bottom of the quick freeze tray. You can use additional boards or plates, also wrapping them with cling film.
- Strawberries are laid out so that the berries do not touch each other and sent for quick freezing until completely frozen. If there are a lot of berries or the ideal shape is not important, they can be simply scattered in 1-2 layers.
- The berries are poured into any convenient bag or box and put away for storage in other compartments of the freezer.
Defrosting options for this method:
- at room temperature, separating the right amount of strawberries and sprinkling it with sugar,
- slow defrosting on the top shelf of the refrigerator,
- use without defrosting for fillings, drinks, desserts, sorbets.
What packaging to use for freezing
For long-term storage of strawberries at low temperatures are suitable:
- n eraser boats
- to an ontainer for ice,
- Silicone forms,
- n plastic bags with fasteners,
- to the ulki "t-shirt".
Glassware is best not to use. It may crack after being removed from the freezer. The reason is a sharp temperature drop. The optimum temperature for freezing is -18 - 23 ° С. Under such conditions, the berry is stored for 8 to 12 months.
Strawberries in own juice with sugar
Raw strawberries with sugar for the winter are prepared immediately after picking berries. You can close it whole or cut into slices or halves. Strawberry juice will start up during storage, and the taste will remain fresh and natural. Preservation will be an ideal addition for home baking and a good filling for dumplings. The workpiece remains fresh throughout the cold season.
- Wash strawberries to clean from tails and dirt.
- Berries placed in jars, pouring layers of sugar.
- The final thick layer should be sugar.
- Seal hermetically and keep in the refrigerator.
General rules for freezing berries
There are several types of strawberries, each of which has individual advantages. However, whichever one you choose for freezing, you should adhere to the general rules.
- If you are harvesting yourself, try picking ripe strawberries in the early morning before dew or just before sunset. It is noted that the crop harvested at this time, better retains its beneficial properties and aroma, and also has a more refined taste.
Harvesting strawberries is recommended in the early morning or before sunset.
Spoiled strawberries must not be frozen
Before freezing, strawberries must be washed and dried thoroughly.
Freeze whole berries separately
And finally - one more, extremely important, moment: it is better to freeze each berry separately! So that they do not “stick together”, lay them out at a certain distance from each other.
Then they will not become one lump, which will be much better both in terms of aesthetics, and in terms of quality, and ease of use. If you do not have the opportunity to decompose the berries, then try to keep them dry. This will prevent the berries from sticking together, not 100%, but still.
How to freeze strawberries with sugar in the form of syrup
This is a proven method over the years, which is very popular among housewives. Not only containers, but also glass jars are suitable for freezing. Berries immersed in a liquid retain their shape and color for a long time, so they are an excellent dessert. Such syrup can be added to yogurt or ice cream, or simply smeared on a loaf or rolls.
Step-by-step instructions for preparing strawberries frozen in sugar syrup:
- Make syrup by mixing 4 cups of water with 1 cup of sugar. Sugar can be dissolved in cold or hot water, at your discretion, but if you use hot water, it is worth cooling the syrup before pouring strawberries.
- Wash and dry the berries and place them in containers.
- Pour the strawberries with syrup, pay attention that there is free space in the container or jar.
- Put in the freezer.
You can store such strawberries in the freezer for 5 to 8 months. When you get the finished product, in no case do not immerse the jars in hot water, it is better to let them defrost in the refrigerator or room.
Strawberries Frozen with Sugar
This method is considered the most gentle method of preserving strawberries for the winter. During freezing in sugar, the berries themselves harden gradually, partially giving up their juice. In fact, such freezing can be called freezing in one's own juice. As a result of preservation in sugar, berries sometimes lose their shape, but they completely save both their aroma and taste, and most importantly, their freshness. And after thawing, instead of watery juice, you will have ready-made syrup.
But there are also disadvantages to freezing with sugar: this option requires a lot of space and time.
For 1 kg of strawberries, you need to use about 1 cup of sugar (the finer the sugar, the better) or powdered sugar.
The process of freezing strawberries with sugar consists of the following steps:
- After the berries are prepared for freezing, they, along with fine granulated sugar or icing sugar, are poured into an empty bowl or container.
- The container is placed in the refrigerator for several hours so that the strawberries release juice.
- As soon as the juice appears, the berries with sugar are transferred to containers for freezing and poured with the remaining liquid.
- Strawberry containers in their own juice are put in the freezer and completely frozen.
There are other options:
- Strawberries are laid directly in the tray and sprinkled with sugar, and then frozen without thawing,
- berries are frozen by the method of quick freezing, and then sprinkled with sugar in trays.
Defrosting options for this method:
- slow defrosting on the top shelf of the refrigerator,
- use without defrosting and in drinks.
How to prepare strawberries
Before freezing, the fruit must be cleaned of contaminants. This step should not be neglected even if the berry is collected from its own site and apparently there are no obvious pollution on it. You may not notice a small grain of sand. Together with sand, helminths and bacteria that do not die at low temperatures enter the body.
Strawberries should not be washed under running water. Berries may be deformed.
After defrosting, such a damaged product will spread and turn into slurry. Rinse in small portions so as not to damage the pulp.
- Pour water into a large container.
- Put a serving of strawberries in a sieve and dip it in a bowl of water.
- Rinse several times and pull out, allowing excess liquid to drain.
After the berry is peeled, it must be completely dried so that there is no moisture left. Excess water promotes the growth of ice crystals on strawberries, which subsequently deforms the fetus. The best option is paper towels. But if they were not at hand - not scary. The next life hack will help to dry strawberries quickly and efficiently. Having laid the berry on a cotton towel, you should blow it with a hairdryer, turning on the cold air mode.
The final stage in preparing fruit for freezing is clearing the stem. Ponytails should be torn off only after the fruits are completely dry. If the strawberry is harvested whole, then it is better not to remove the stalk so that the berries do not release the juice and retain their shape.
Strawberries with sugar through a meat grinder
Scrolled strawberries with sugar - something in between the mashed and whipped berries. You can freeze the workpiece, but pouring layers of sweetener in the jar will preserve the natural taste of strawberries. Complementing the composition with lemon or orange, you can significantly transform the final taste of the workpiece and increase the valuable properties of the goodies. Do not twist the zest to avoid a bitter taste. Store the workpiece in the refrigerator for one year.
- strawberries - 1 kg
- lemon - 1 pc.,
- sugar - 1.5 kg.
- Wash strawberries, peel the stalks.
- Peel lemon and white peel, use only pulp, seedless.
- Scroll berries with lemon slices through a meat grinder.
- In sterilized jars, lay in layers of sugar and mashed potatoes, ending with a thick layer of sweetener.
- Seal tightly, store in the refrigerator on the bottom shelf.
Something about Strawberry Varieties
There are three types of strawberries:
- garden (the largest berries),
Garden strawberry differs from the field in larger size
Field strawberries are very similar to strawberries, but their berries are larger
Wild strawberries are easily separated from the green outlet
Meadow strawberries are often confused with wild strawberries, which have smaller and fragrant berries. A distinctive feature of strawberries is that it is easier to separate from the green calyx. It also has a lot of useful properties and a whole range of vitamins. Strawberries have a pronounced sweet taste, astringency and density. It is very difficult to tear them from the twig, which makes the cleaning process somewhat difficult.
The first ripe berries appear from June 15. When harvesting field strawberries, they cut it directly with twigs and bouquets, since it is very difficult to quickly tear the berry from the stem. Forest strawberries are characterized by increased fragility and softness, for this reason you need to handle it as carefully as possible so that the berries do not crumple and do not let the juice go.
Dishes for freezing
Dishes used for harvesting, temporary storage and preparation before freezing, as well as implements, should also be carefully selected.
So, metal products are better not to use, they can oxidize strawberries and significantly damage its quality.
But plastic is an ideal option. As an alternative - dishes covered with intact enamel.
Freeze strawberry coolies (sauce)
All you need to make strawberry sauce is a few drops of citrus juice (to emphasize the taste of berries) and a little sugar if the berries are very sour. Strawberry coolies make many desserts more tasty, for example, it can be used for filling pancakes.
- 400 grams of thoroughly washed and spared strawberry sprouts,
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice or lime
- Sugar to taste.
We start to cook:
- Mix strawberries, lemon juice and sugar in a food processor or blender. Wait until the berries are chopped thoroughly and the sauce becomes brilliant.
- If desired, pass the resulting mass through a fine sieve to remove the seeds of the berry (often, many people skip this moment).
- Place mashed potatoes in 250 mg cans, leaving 1-1.5 cm of free space.
- Put in the freezer.
Note! In the refrigerator, such a sauce can be stored from 2 to 4 weeks.
Sugar Freeze Strawberry Puree
No less than the taste and aroma of strawberries and preserves the freezing of finished strawberry puree. It can be pre-mixed with sugar or frozen in pure form. This is the most economical way to save a lot of space in the freezer., because containers with mashed potatoes take up much less space than whole berries.
Thus, for the winter you can save even the largest and ripe berries. But if you plan to use a whole strawberry in the winter, then this method is absolutely not suitable for you.
The process itself is more than simple:
- Create a mass for freezing by mashed the prepared strawberries in a blender.
- If desired, add sugar to the strawberry mass to taste.
- Transfer the grated berries into plastic containers and freeze in quick freeze mode.
Defrosting options for this method:
- use without freezing in desserts,
- Slowly warm the mashed potatoes over a low heat and bring to the desired sweetness.
Strawberry slices with sugar for the winter
Tasty and juicy strawberries with sugar slices for the winter will be an indispensable ingredient in the preparation of homemade cakes. It is successfully used as a filling for all kinds of pies, dumplings or desserts are supplemented with sweet slices and syrup, which is formed during storage. Strawberries are stored for one year on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator.
- large strawberries - 2 kg,
- sugar - 2.5 kg.
- Wash strawberries, remove ponytails and dry with paper towels.
- Cut into halves, large berries into quarters.
- Put in sterilized jars, sprinkling with sugar, the last thick layer should be sugar.
- Cork, store on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator.
The basics of cooking
Freezing is one of the oldest ways to store food. It was still used by primitive people. Nowadays, it has changed a lot and has become as convenient as possible. Now you will not surprise anyone with frozen meat or fish. Modern refrigerators are capable of storing the freshness of not only a wide variety of products, but also all kinds of semi-finished products for a long time.What to do with berries? Take, for example, everyone's favorite strawberries. How is it better to freeze it? There are two main options:
1) In kind.
2) With the addition of sugar.
The first way, of course, is good. But in the end result, the berry loses its shape and becomes more acidic in taste. In this case, strawberries with sugar will be preferable. Freezing berries is very simple. You can make mashed flavors from them. Only two components are needed:
4: 1 strawberries and sugar.
- Stack the berries in a colander, rinse and drain.
- Carefully remove all leaflets.
- Transfer strawberries into a blender bowl.
- Pour sugar on top.
- Beat products thoroughly.
- Pour the mass into the mold.
Now it remains only to put them in the freezer and at any time on the table there may be fresh strawberries with sugar. You can freeze as many berries as there is free space in the chamber.
There are three main ways to store strawberries in the freezer:
Mashed potatoes and strawberries with sugar can be used in baking, added to cereals, served with cottage cheese pancakes and pancakes. A whole berry is suitable for decorating desserts, making drinks, and just eating it when it's cold outside is a pleasure. And this is just a small part of how to use this frozen fruit.
Best Choice - Extra-Freeze
It involves instant freezing of the product. So its structure and most of its useful properties are preserved.
Some freezers support similar features. But, even if you have an ordinary camera or a refrigerator - do not worry.
You can go the other way: subject the process of freezing to the smallest possible portion, so it will happen much faster.
Moreover, it is not necessary to put several berries in the chamber. The main thing is the freezing layer. It is necessary that they be laid out in one layer.
Frozen Strawberry Concentrate for Lemonade
Strawberry concentrate is another way to get beautiful frozen berries. With a concentrate on hand, on hot summer days you can always prepare a fresh and tasty drink.
- 3/4 cup strawberry sauce (recipe above)
- 3/4 cup raw cane sugar
- 1 cup lime juice (for its production, you will have to buy about 6-8 limes)
- Mix all the ingredients
- Freeze in ice trays.
To use strawberry concentrate, mix 1 cup cold water with two cubes of frozen concentrate, mix thoroughly and enjoy.
Forest strawberries mashed with sugar - recipe
Forest strawberries mashed with sugar for the winter are prepared a little more troublesome than homemade. Given that this berry is denser, not so juicy and sometimes very small, you will need to spend more time on the harvest. Before you grind it through a sieve, it is better to crush with a nibble, add a little sugar and wait until the berries let the juice.
- forest strawberry - 2 kg,
- sugar - 2.5 kg.
- Wash the strawberries, remove the tails, fill in 500 g of sugar and crush a little with a crush.
- Leave for 3 hours.
- Rub through a sieve, cover with the remaining sugar.
- Transfer sweet puree to sterilized jars, seal hermetically, and store in the refrigerator for no more than six months.
Method 1: whole berries
This method is the fastest and does not require additional actions. Properly peeled and dried strawberries must be laid out on a hard surface in one layer and placed in the freezer for three hours. Berries should not touch each other. A kitchen board that needs to be wrapped with cling film will do.
You can put the berry in shallow disposable plates with inflated edges and each cover with the same dishes. In this case, the film is not needed. Using disposable dishes for the first stage of freezing will allow you to put several plates in the freezer at a time and freeze a larger amount of product. The design of two plates is placed one on top of the other, not pushing through the berries thanks to the upper utensils. You can put several such buildings in a row. It all depends on the size of the freezer. Over time, the strawberries should be placed in a plastic bag for freezing, a bag of “T-shirt” or a plastic container, and then put back in the freezer for long-term storage.
Before closing the bag used for storage, it is necessary to release all remaining air from it.
If a plastic bag with fasteners is selected for packaging, you can use the following method. When closing the lock, you need to leave a small hole and insert a cocktail tube into it. All remaining air should be sucked out of it, and then completely close the bag. Thawed product must not be re-frozen. Therefore, it is better to prepare portioned packets with the number of berries that will be used immediately.
In addition, fruit ice cubes can be made from whole fruits. They can be used to make cocktails and cold desserts. And fruit ice can also be used for cosmetic purposes. Cold treatments perfectly tone and tighten the skin.
To make cubes, you should take plastic molds for ice. Whole berry is laid in each cell and filled with clean water. After that, the container is placed in the freezer for long-term storage.
Packaging for choice
Of course, having a jar of frozen berries in the refrigerator is good. But in the absence of special freezer compartments, it will occupy all the free space. Where then to put the rest of the products? There is also a way out of this situation. It is only necessary to take care of a convenient container. After all, not only in glass jars can be strawberries with sugar. You can freeze cooked mashed potatoes in any container. It is very convenient to use disposable plastic utensils for this: cups, glasses or small containers. They are easy to fold and can be thrown away immediately after use. An even more practical option is plastic bags. Freshly prepared mass must be carefully poured in with the help of a ladle and tied tightly. For reliability, it is better to immediately take two packages and insert them one into the other. The beauty is that the plastic mass is able to take any, even the most unusual form, to fill in the possible voids in the freezer.
Freezing whole berries without sugar
- Take strawberries prepared in accordance with the general rules, spread them in a thin layer on plastic boards or on large kitchen plates covered with cling film.
- When laying out strawberries, try to ensure a small distance between the berries. This will prevent them from sticking together.
- Then send the berry-filled boards or plates to the freezer, leave there for about a day. If the refrigerator has the Super Freeze quick freeze function, it is advisable to use it. Then the process will last no more than 3 hours.
- Remove the berries, place them in dry plastic bags, and then send them back to the freezer.
Frozen berries are placed in plastic bags and stored in a freezer.
How to make strawberry juice for the winter
The last recipe for making strawberries by freezing it. Homemade strawberry juice is not only delicious, but also very healthy. It is easy to prepare, just add all the ingredients to the blender and mix. Serve the prepared mixture by adding ice cubes to it, but it is best to freeze it in order to enjoy and remember the unique taste of a strawberry drink in autumn or winter.
Step by step recipe for strawberry juice with a photo:
1) Rinse the berries under cold water, cut the stem and chop.
2) Place the sliced berries in a blender, adding sugar and lemon juice.
3) Mix until strawberry puree is obtained.
4) Pour the resulting liquid into plastic or glass containers, without forgetting, leave a little space.
5) Put the strawberry juice in the freezer.
The note! Before pouring juice from the blender into containers, it can be filtered to remove the seeds of the berry. As for lemon juice and sugar, add their amount to your taste.
How to freeze strawberries with sugar for the winter?
Very well stored strawberries mashed with sugar frozen. It is better to pour such a workpiece in silicone molds and, after complete freezing, transfer it to an airtight bag. Such a preparation takes up little space in the freezer, it can be used in the preparation of all kinds of pastries, fill in homemade ice cream or other desserts.
- Wash the berries, remove the stalks.
- Punch with a blender, fill with sugar.
- Distribute mashed potatoes over the molds, completely freeze.
- Transfer to a sealed container, store no more than six months.
Preparations for future use
But sometimes, in order to recall the charm of a sultry, warm summer, one taste is not enough. I want to see the berry itself and not in the form of a sweet mess, but in its entirety. To do this, there is another great way to freeze strawberries with sugar for the winter. Here you will need three components: berries and syrup, prepared with water and sugar in a ratio of 4: 1. The process itself consists of three stages:
- Processing berries. Strawberries need to be washed and sorted. True, this should be done only if it was removed from the bushes for a long time. It is known that during the first three hours it retains a natural protective layer that prevents any microorganisms from penetrating deep into the fetus. In this case, they do not need to be washed. Later, the protection disappears and additional processing is required.
- Make sugar syrup.
- Strawberries are folded into prepared containers and pour a slightly cooled sweet liquid so that the whole berries are under it.
This is a very interesting option on how to freeze strawberries with sugar for the winter. Indeed, on a frosty day, it is pleasant to get fresh fragrant berries to the table as a dessert, which will warm the soul, recalling a happy sunny summer.
Hermetic containers for freezing
Ideal dishes for freezing - special containers made of plastic, closed tightly. Thanks to them, strawberries will not be influenced by third-party odors of other products, which may also be in the chamber.
And it will not be overdried, which is also very important. If there are no containers, take ordinary plastic bags.
Freezing whole berries with powdered sugar
It is noticed that in the process of freezing, strawberries are able to partially lose their original sweetness. For this reason, many people prefer to freeze it with icing sugar. Proportions: for 1 kg of strawberries, you need to take 200 g of powdered sugar.
- Lay prepared berries on your existing planes, previously covered with cling film. At the same time, observe the distance between the berries.
- Send the strawberry planes to the freezer for 1-2 hours.
- Then remove the berries again, carefully remove them from the film and place in food plastic containers, sprinkling each layer with powdered sugar.
Strawberries frozen with powdered sugar will not lose their sweetness
Whole winter strawberries in sugar
Freezing strawberries with sugar for the winter is a convenient and quick way to preserve whole berries. In winter, you can decorate desserts with such strawberries, fill pastries and even compote from it can be cooked. Given that strawberries are harvested frozen with sugar for the winter without cooking, all valuable properties are preserved to the maximum. The amount of sweetener can be greatly reduced by reducing the calorie content of the workpiece.
- whole strawberries - 2 kg,
- sugar - 500-700 g.
- Wash, peel and dry strawberries so that there are no wet drops.
- Freeze berries for 1 hour.
- Sprinkle strawberries with sugar, shake, so that the crystals are evenly distributed, but the berries are not damaged.
- Freeze strawberries completely, transfer to a sealed container, store no more than six months.
Those who first decided to engage in blanks of this kind can make unforgivable mistakes and not get the desired result. To avoid this, you need to know how to freeze strawberries with sugar. If you need a whole berry without all kinds of syrups and mashed potatoes, then proceed as follows:
- Prepare the strawberries properly: first rinse under running water, sort through, and then dry well. If you freeze a wet berry, you will get a piece of ice, and with sugar there will be a shapeless cold slurry. Such a product is even unpleasant to eat.
- Place the berries in a wide container.
- Sprinkle them with sugar so that it gets on every strawberry.
- Close the container and put it in the freezer.
- After 2 hours, you can get it and, if you wish, pour already frozen fruit into a bag. It is easier to place in the chamber, and the berries will not be remembered.
So it turns out a whole berry covered with a "coat" of granulated sugar. At any time, you can get it and after 20-30 minutes use it for its intended purpose.
Strawberry Freeze with Sugar
There is another way to freeze strawberries with sugar. When used, the berry gives juice. For this recipe for 1 kg of strawberries, you need to take 300 g of sugar.
- Take a strawberry prepared in advance for freezing, put in a plastic bowl, pouring each layer with sugar.
Each layer of strawberries must be sprinkled with sugar without damaging the berries.
Honeysuckle with Strawberries and Sugar
Harvesting, which can confidently be called a "vitamin bomb" - honeysuckle and strawberries frayed with sugar. If you do not take into account the valuable properties of this preservation, you can enjoy the incomparable, slightly tart taste of delicacies that complement all kinds of homemade desserts. Berries can be prepared by pouring a sweetener and stored in the refrigerator, but it’s more useful and reliable to freeze healthy mashed potatoes.
- strawberries - 1.5 kg
- honeysuckle - 600 g,
- sugar - 1.7 kg.
- Wash strawberries and honeysuckle, clean from dirt and tails.
- Sprinkle with sugar, punch with a blender.
- Distribute into molds, freeze.
- After complete freezing, transfer the ice cream in a sealed container, store for six months.
It’s not at all difficult to freeze strawberries with sugar. The proportions of the ingredients in this case are different for everyone. Someone appreciates sourness in berries, remembering that it is due to the presence of vitamin C. And others, on the contrary, prefer a sweeter option. In any case, first you need to navigate the generally accepted norm. When frozen, half a glass of granulated sugar is taken for every kilogram of ripe strawberries. It is better not to mix the berries, so as not to violate their integrity. True, it will take more time. Will have to lead the process portionwise. But this has its own reason, and the result will justify all the costs. After final packaging, packages or other containers with frozen food must be marked or put inside a piece of paper on which the packaging date should be written. It must be remembered that sugar freezing preserves berries for a period of 6 to 12 months. Later, they will not only lose their taste and beneficial properties, but may even become hazardous to health.
Berry, grated with sugar
For this method you will need:
- sugar - 300 g per 1 kg of berries.
- bring the prepared strawberries to a state of mashed potatoes with a blender,
Grate strawberries with sugar more conveniently with a blender
Strawberry puree is frozen in food containers
Sugar in this case can be added both during the preparation of the puree and after it is thawed.
For better storage in strawberry puree, you can add 2 tablespoons of vodka.
You can also pour the berries with ready-made syrup at room temperature, and then send the containers to the freezer.To make the syrup, take:
- 1 liter of water
- 300 g sugar
- 5 g of citric acid or 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
Mix all ingredients and put on fire. Remove from heat at the first sign of boiling.
You can also freeze strawberries in sugar syrup
Frozen convenience food
Before choosing the method by which the berries will be harvested, it is necessary to decide how these products will be used in the future. You can prepare them in advance so that they will, in fact, be a semi-finished product for specific dishes. For example, for desserts and cocktails sometimes they take, not a whole strawberry, but fruits cut into pieces. So it looks spectacular in a glass or in a bowl with ice cream. Moreover, the berry should not be sour. In this case, you need to clearly know how to freeze strawberries with sugar. In the refrigerator, this is not difficult. It is better if it has a quick freeze chamber. This will prevent a lot of juice from flowing from the berries. Care must be taken to monitor the products. First, processed and divided into parts, put the fruits in prepared dishes. Then sprinkle them with a little sugar and let it dissolve a little. Only then can the container be sent to the freezer. There, around each piece of strawberry, a sweet ice crust forms, which will not allow it to deteriorate.
How to defrost strawberries while preserving vitamins
We decided on the freezing rules. Ways, specific recipes, will be given below, and now - how to properly defrost strawberries! Did you think that this is not so important, or not important at all? This is not true.
See what you need to know about this:
- Discard the option with a microwave right away, it, in the vast majority of cases, only spoils the product.
- It is best to do this in the refrigerator by placing a container with berries or a bag in it. This maintains an approximately stable positive, but not high, temperature, which contributes to a gradual uniform defrosting.
- Is it possible to defrost simply at room temperature? You can, but better in the fridge.
- It is not necessary to wait until the berries freeze to 100%, turning into a shapeless ugly mass. They can be used even when there are very few ice crystals left in them.
We conclude from what we read: freezing should be performed as quickly as possible, and defrosting should be performed as slowly as possible.
Strawberry jam with honey for the winter
To prepare such a blank for 1 kg of berries you will need:
- 2 glasses of honey
- 1 apple
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
- chopped strawberries in a blender until mashed,
- grated apple peel on a medium grater,
- mix the apple mass with strawberry puree, add honey and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice,
- put the mixture on fire, bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes,
- put ready strawberry jam into food containers, cool and send to the freezer.
Sometimes housewives are interested in whether it is possible to freeze strawberries with sugar so that as a result both sweet mashed potatoes and whole berries turn out. Of course, this is even better than doing it separately. To do this, you must first divide the clean dried berries into two trays. In one, the strawberries will be flat and whole, and in the other, crumpled and deformed. Pour sugar in the right amount into a container with non-standard fruits. Usually it takes no more than 4 tablespoons per kilogram of berries. Then you need to randomly grind them in any convenient way. Some take a mixer for this, but you can just use it yourself. And so that your fingers do not darken after work, it is better to wear medical gloves. Next, the resulting puree must be poured into a container prepared for this. Top with whole berries and shake the container lightly. After that, it can be closed and sent to freeze. If necessary, it will be possible to separate the desired amount from a whole piece with a knife. Mashed potatoes will be used for making smoothies, various desserts, impregnations and fillings. And a whole strawberry will effectively decorate the cooked dish.
How to freeze meadow and wild berries with sugar
To freeze field strawberries, which is distinguished by the hardness of the fruits, you can use the following recipe.
- Mix pre-prepared berries with sugar: for 3 cups of strawberries, you need to use 4 cups of sugar.
- Arrange berries with sugar in half-liter jars, filling containers only by ¾.
- Pour sugar into the remaining free space until the very neck of the jar.
- Close containers with lids treated with boiling water.
- Put jars in the refrigerator or cellar.
- After 2 weeks, you can again add sugar to the neck of the jar, since during this time the jam will settle slightly.
It is very convenient to freeze strawberries in plastic cups
Method 2: Strawberry Smoothie
In this processing variant, the berry is crushed to a puree state. To obtain a uniform strawberry mass, you can use a hand blender. If there is a desire to leave small pieces of strawberries in mashed potatoes, then it is better to choose the manual method and use the pusher. If desired, sugar can be added to the fruit mixture. For 1 kg of berries will be enough 3 - 5 tbsp. l
Mashed potatoes can be immediately packaged for long-term storage for the winter without preliminary freezing. It should be laid out in bags for freezing and put in the freezer. Plastic containers for ice or silicone molds are also suitable as storage containers. This option is convenient when you need to use a small amount of product at a time. For example, add portionwise to porridge.
1. Whole berries
This, you can say, is the most commonly used method. The main thing that needs to be done, after preliminary preparation of the berries, is to dry them well by spreading them on a clean towel.
It is better to use a thick cotton towel. After the product gets rid of excess moisture on its surface, it is necessary to move it to the surface on which it will be frozen.
As already mentioned, this can be a special plastic container. It is also very convenient to store finished products in it.
And you can freeze it on separate planks of the same chopping boards, covering them with polyethylene so that the strawberries do not freeze to the tree, and then pour the berries into containers.
Set your freezer to the lowest temperature that will allow you to set the technical characteristics of the device. Best of all, but it doesn’t matter if the berries are about the same size.
We used to just freeze it, but now, we have a better demand for another recipe, chopped strawberries in a blender with sugar. We learned about this recipe from our godfather. He said that he could eat a tray of such strawberries at a time. And this is the best advertisement. Now even children can freeze strawberries in this way.
Method 3: Strawberries with sugar
For this method of harvesting per 1 kg of berries, 1 kg of granulated sugar will be needed. Each fruit, previously washed, peeled and dried, should be cut into 4 parts. If the strawberry is not large, then it is enough to divide it in half. Shredded fruits should be placed in a container, sprinkled with sugar and gently mixed so that the slices do not choke.
The prepared mixture is left at room temperature until the berry extracts the juice in half capacity. After that, the product is ready for freezing. It needs to be transferred to plastic vessels or bags for freezing to choose from. Containers take up more space. Packages are more compact. Using them, you can save space for other products.
Freezing is a universal way to harvest strawberries for the winter. At any time, you can get the berry from the freezer and make jam or jam from it, without wasting time and energy in the summer. And what could be better than a freshly baked pancake, a subject with fresh strawberry puree, on an early frosty morning. Such a breakfast with a cup of aromatic coffee will energize the whole family for a long time.
2. Frozen strawberries (chopped) with sugar
The second method in demand and popularity. You can use as whole berries, just sprinkling them with sugar, until they have been frozen, and cut into small pieces.
Sometimes strawberries are generally processed, in an affordable and convenient way, into a porridge-like mixture, and then seasoned with sugar. The principles of freezing are similar.
And here is our recipe that children make themselves. We take sugar and strawberries in equal proportions in our recipe 1.5 kg. sugar and 1.5 kg of strawberries. For storage we use airtight trays. If the strawberries are sour, then sugar can be added more.
If we are talking about chopped or crushed fruits, then, in the first case, their parts can be stacked on top of each other, and in the second - generally pour the whole mass into high-quality plastic utensils (special containers).
But, again, it is better to calculate the volume of one container in such a way that it can be used all at once after defrosting.
Frozen Strawberries with Sugar and Sour Cream
One of the easiest options is a grated strawberry with sugar and sour cream. For its preparation, you can use whole frozen fruits or previously mashed potatoes.
- If you prefer to work with whole berries, first defrost them and soften the strawberries with a blender or other improvised means.
- If the strawberries were frozen without sugar, add 2 tablespoons of sugar per 400 g of berries.
- Then add 3 tablespoons of sour cream and mix the resulting mashed potatoes. Your dessert is ready.
Strawberries with sour cream - a delicious and healthy dessert
3. Frozen sliced strawberries
Such a method is resorted to, for example, if the fruits are particularly large, or from other personal considerations. Each berry can be cut into about the same size 2-4 parts.
Further, these parts can already be frozen either individually, as whole fruits, or laying in a not very thick layer. They can also be frozen with or without sugar of your choice.
If you use sugar, then its approximate ratio to berries can be taken: 80-100 grams of sugar (or powdered sugar) per 1 kg. berries of strawberries.
4. Frozen Strawberry Smoothie
Again, it can be frozen both with sugar and without it. How to chop strawberries?
Yes, as it will be more convenient for you: starting from the pusher, ending with a blender or food processor. You can even chop the fruits by hand.
It is best to freeze the gruel in special containers made of high-quality plastic. You can store it in them, or, having previously taken it out, in the form of briquettes, in plastic bags.
The benefits of frozen strawberries
Everyone knows that in the fresh form, it, subject to its proper quality, is able to bring a lot of benefits to the body.
A frozen product has all the same characteristics in terms of healing, but their scale, unfortunately, even with the fastest and most correct freezing, decreases.
Plus, after defrosting, strawberries, as a rule, lend themselves to further culinary processing, often thermal processing, which also does not have the best effect on the level of vitamins and minerals in it, which are simply destroyed, and this, in turn, further reduces its usefulness.
However, many positive aspects, despite this, remain, and strawberries still continue to benefit your health.
- Strengthens the immune system , helping to resist infectious ailments, strengthening each organ from the inside. As a result, the body becomes less susceptible to bacterial, viral, fungal diseases, it is filled with energy and vitality.
- Improves the condition of the gastrointestinal tract, in particular - the intestines, as well as the liver and gall bladder, working with it in an inextricable tandem.
- Promotes Cardiovascular Recovery, allowing you to keep the vessels clean, nourishing the heart with potassium, vitamins, acting as a highly effective natural prophylactic against hypertension, heart attacks and strokes.
- Is a valuable dietary product., which allows you to use it for those who want to lose weight, and even those who have diabetes (or are at risk). But, here it is very important to remember that such its properties are lost if the fruits of strawberries are frozen with sugar.
- It affects the eyes very well - vision, thanks to this berry so familiar to us, it can be maintained at a fairly high level until old age. To do this, you need to use it regularly - at least once a week all year round.
- Positive effect on the functioning of the central and peripheral nervous systems, improves memory and concentration, prevents the development of dangerous ailments, the root of which often lies in the malfunctioning of the central nervous system, for example - Alzheimer's disease.
These are far from the only positive points that can be gained from eating frozen strawberries. Let's not forget about the aesthetic, gastronomic pleasure that these berries can give us.
So make sure that they are always available to you. Thanks to the information in this article, it will now be much easier to do.
The main advantage of frozen strawberries over fresh ones (although the first one loses significantly in terms of the content of vitamins, minerals and other substances valuable for health) is that it can be eaten year-round, both in summer and in autumn, winter, spring.
While fresh berries are available only in a relatively short period of the year: approximately from the beginning of summer to the month of September.
Recipes and tips on how to freeze strawberries for the winter at home will allow you to enjoy a useful and affordable product, no matter what time of year you have on your calendar.
Frozen Berry with Whipped Cream
From frozen strawberries you can also make an original dessert with whipped cream.
For this you need:
- strawberry puree - 400 g,
- fat cream - 400 ml,
- 2 yolks
- powdered sugar to taste.
When all the products have been prepared, you can begin to prepare a sweet masterpiece.
- Add the yolks to the thawed strawberry puree.
- Put the resulting mixture on fire and bring to a thickening, stirring constantly.
- Whip the cream to a dense consistency and add to the chilled strawberry mass.
- Adjust the taste of the dessert by adding powdered sugar.
- Put the treat in vases and send to the freezer until it hardens.
- Serve dessert to the table.
Strawberries with whipped cream will be highly appreciated by children and adults
Video: how to freeze strawberries
Using simple recommendations, you can easily freeze strawberries for the winter. The main thing is to adhere to the basic rules, because thanks to them it becomes possible to preserve as many healthy vitamins as possible in these berries. Such preparations will allow even in the middle of the cold winter to feel the taste and aroma of summer, as well as diversify the home menu.